In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NBA - Memo - Stand for National Anthem

AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
I don't watch professional sports - but when I went to the Comcast/Xfinity home page for my e-mails - there was a note about ESPN and their publishing a memo from the NBA that players - coaches - and staff were to stand for the national anthem. It disappeared quickly but I went to ESPN's home page and copyed part of it from there. I don't have any idea if it will be enforced - but hopefully so.

Best Regards - AQH

The memo, a copy of which was obtained by ESPN, was distributed by deputy commissioner Mark Tatum. It instructs teams that "the league office will determine how to deal with any possible instance in which a player, coach, or trainer does not stand for the anthem."

The memo states that individual teams "do not have the discretion to waive" the rule that players, coaches and staff stand for the anthem. The league has the discretion to discipline players who violate the rule. It is not clear if the league would exercise it in the event of any protest. The league also does not want teams independently disciplining players, sources say, and has encouraged open dialogue within teams.

Comments

• Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The issue is this...

NFL, NBA, MLB, and other HIGHLY Paid Sports "Employees", aka 'Athletes', "WORK" for an employer.

The employer has to decide if we fans mean anything to their income base. If so, the employers will then begin to enforce their own rules which include 'standing for the national anthem' at publicly played games.

If not, then the "athletes" will continue to politicize these games for their own benefits, claiming it's their right to do so.

You want to get this issue nipped in the butt?

STOP going to games and buying team merchandise, send a letter to the team owners and league commissioners that you're no longer going to support spoiled, highly paid, political advocates, aka 'their players'.

Encourage others of like mind to do the same.

Once the fans objections hit their pocket books, this crap will end.

The alternative is... Deal with it and * all you want. Status QUO.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info!
    What's next?
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58
    The issue is this...

NFL, NBA, MLB, and other HIGHLY Paid Sports "Employees", aka 'Athletes', "WORK" for an employer.

The employer has to decide if we fans mean anything to their income base. If so, the employers will then begin to enforce their own rules which include 'standing for the national anthem' at publicly played games.

If not, then the "athletes" will continue to politicize these games for their own benefits, claiming it's their right to do so.

You want to get this issue nipped in the butt?

STOP going to games and buying team merchandise, send a letter to the team owners and league commissioners that you're no longer going to support spoiled, highly paid, political advocates, aka 'their players'.

Encourage others of like mind to do the same.

Once the fans objections hit their pocket books, this crap will end.

The alternative is... Deal with it and * all you want. Status QUO.

yep and I have, HOPE many do the same.