In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

...50 years ago.....

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in General Discussion
January,1968....I woke up at 4:am(0400)..to blast all around me...Tet had begun....

Comments

• IronrifleIronrifle Member Posts: 664
    edited November -1
    I remember it well! Still seems like last night...
  • WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    I can only imagine. Thank you for your service.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd already returned to the land of the Big PX. I spent the Tet offensive of 67 in Da Nang, but missed the biggie of '68. Scuttlebutt had it that the Post Office I had built in Dong Ha to handle the mail for 3rd MarDiv Fwd, took a direct hit from a 122 mm Russian rocket.
    What's next?
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..went up stairs last nite..dug out a bunch of old pics....Saigon was burning, Cholon was the heaviest fighting...the MP's took it hard...TonSan Nhut was taking a full assault....
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wrangler
    I can only imagine. Thank you for your service.
    Wrangler,thanks for your post, but it was duty....many people today don't know what duty for your country is....no purpose in that war just as there was no purpose in Iraq...Draftees in Vietnam.....Volunteers in the Middle East.. waste of American life...I think serving to defend your nation is an honor...but to serve fighting in another country without ever having a victory plan is a waste of American man hood...
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in 3rd grade with absolutely no idea what was going on, except for my Mother crying when she watched the news, and older brothers and cousins of my friends going to "boot camp".
    I remember the service flags with stars on them in people's windows, but never completly grasped what was going on until I was in high school and the draft was stopped. I never even had to register for the draft.

Thanks for your service, guys.
    My family and I appreciate it.