In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone put Seafoam in to the crankcase?

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in General Discussion

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you change oil on time nothing is needed. I have used raw diesel fuel in the crankcase after a drain to clean. Run for about two min. and drain after putting in.
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No. My car has 228000 miles and it isn't sludged. I run Mobile One with a Mobile One filter change it at 7000 so I would not add anything. If I start my car I always drive at least 25 miles so 7000 mile oil changes with full synthetic oil is good. If I was dealing with a sludged up motor I would probably start with Marvel Mistery Oil.
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    If you change oil on time nothing is needed. I have used raw diesel fuel in the crankcase after a drain to clean. Run for about two min. and drain after putting in.
    I do this with both vehicles and farm tractors but mostly use mineral spirits. Agree with the engine run-time too, that's very important so don't get distracted [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im not a fan of mechanic in a can, but I will say Seafoam works wonders with my small engines, they all get a taste.
  • mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Auto trans fluid works for me. I have use seafoam in motorcycles with no ill effects.

Once a motor is sludged to the level of being able to scrape, any additive that may loosen the sludge, will be problematic. The sludge once free, if not totally dissolved can/will block oil passages and starve critical moving parts.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not do that.

I had the diaphragm on my fuel pump break and it released gas into the crankcase. This was on a 74 Dodge Power Wagon with a 360. It trashed my engine. Its never been the same.

If you have a stuck lifter or some noise in the valve train I would add some Auto trans fluid like dextron II. They have a lot of detergents in them and will help clean the engine without thinning the oil.

Use a high quality motor oil and filter, do you oil changes as per the schedule 3-5K and it should be fine.
    RLTW

• NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used Seafoam on a 1997 Honda Passport with 140k.

I didn't notice a difference in anything, nor did I notice any problems.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    seafoam and stabil A-OK
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06

Use a high quality motor oil and filter, do you oil changes as per the schedule 3-5K and it should be fine.
    That's all ya gotta do. Doesn't have to be synthetic, although in today's world there is no reason to not.

No Penzoil, no Quaker State.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I try and keep the sea out of my crankcase [:o)]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Nissan just turned 453,000 miles.Had to change the valve cover gasket last summer and everything still looks clean.Used Mobil 1 since new.
  • mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buddyb
    The Nissan just turned 453,000 miles.Had to change the valve cover gasket last summer and everything still looks clean.Used Mobil 1 since new.

What oil change interval? Mobile one is great stuff. There are some independent lab tests out there and mobile 1 ranks extremely high in every one.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mobile 1 in all my vehicles aside the diesel. However use a premium filter.. it makes all the difference .
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    naptha by the gallon is cheaper
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put Rotella Full Synthetic in my New Holland/Ford diesel mower this year.
  • bundybundy Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father was a fireman on an Army post during the 1940's and he said that when he first started working there the daily routine was to start the trucks in the morning and running them for a few minutes then shutting them off. The engines were building up a lot of sludge and the Army came to the conclusion after tearing some down that moisture was condensing in the crankcases and contaminating the oil because the engines weren't being completely warmed up and running long enough to cook the moisture out. They were instructed to run the engines for a minimum time in the mornings, I think he said it was 30 minutes.
    With today's modern oils and with modern engines having the positive crankcase ventilation system sucking the fumes out it might not be the problem it was but it probably would still be a good idea to limit the times when a motor is started and shut off before completely warming it up.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    I put Rotella Full Synthetic in my New Holland/Ford diesel mower this year.
    Switched to Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic 5W-40 a couple years ago. Have run regular Delo 400 15W-40 for 35 years.

This is a one oil outfit. Everything from the lawn mower to the log truck.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mag00
    Auto trans fluid works for me. I have use seafoam in motorcycles with no ill effects.

Once a motor is sludged to the level of being able to scrape, any additive that may loosen the sludge, will be problematic. The sludge once free, if not totally dissolved can/will block oil passages and starve critical moving parts.

YEP..... Worst thing you can do to a sludged engine

I spend a little extra time and pull the valve covers and oil pan off if I think that it might be sludged up and clean up by scraping the sludge way and then cleaning it with a degreaser outside the engine
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I acquire a used vehicle, first thing I do is change the motor oil(unless as the last one was, the dealership had just changed it)to QS dino oil. I run that and monitor the consumption and oil pressure closely for a couple thousand miles. If the oil already looks dirty at that time, I repeat. After two changes at the 2K time frame, if the oil is still showing filth, something needs attention. If the appearance is acceptable, I switch to synthetic and begin my normal change cycle.
    If the engine is so filthy as to require running solvent through it, I recommend a teardown.