In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What about Red,Bird meat???

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
edited October 2017 in General Discussion
Like Emu? Ever have it,like it??
Wife and I had it and thought it was great. Very rich flavor.

Comments

• asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had someone give me a 1/4 pound of ostrich jerky. That stuff was great.
  • JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sand hill crane
    formerly known as warpig883
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JasonV
    Sand hill crane

Tasty!
    Used to be able to get 4-5, then it got progliblefty status, and I think the hunt is a draw with 60% going to outta state hunters.

Emu is great, Alamogordo had a bird-driven menu in a small joint for awhile; it moved to Tularosa & eventually closed.
    Lotsa big birds in that neighborhood! Tularosa must have nine ranches dedicated to producing meat birds & breeding stock.
    The omelette with Jamaican * Emu and jicama slivers was AWESOME.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My step brother owns a specialty meat market and he gets emu in quite regularly. TASTY!
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's against the law to shoot Cardinals plus you'd have to kill a 100 of'em to make a meal.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have experimented with emu - did some on the wood burning grill and also in the slow cooker...

The girls found it unremarkable and are uninterested in future consumption...

I admit I did not become a fan or an aficionado.

I do duck once a year during the season and that's easy to prepare - last time we did it in a turkey fryer and that was well received.

Similarly pheasant or ptarmigan or Cornish game hen seems to get done annually...

Turkey a few times a year

Chicken almost weekly

Had quail once

Mike
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep pretty good stuff, there's a couple of Brazilian restaurants around here that used to sell it but no longer do

Had a chance to shoot one once out west of Beaver, Utah. But thought better of it. I didn't know if it had gotten loose from a local Rancher or what. After getting back into town we were talking to some of the locals about it. And they said that a Rancher who was raising them, was costing him more to raise them than he was making, so he just let them loose. So I could have shot him. Now that I know that somebody just let them loose, every time I go out there hunting coyotes I keep an eye out for them. If I see another one I will shoot it

But it's doubtful I'll ever see another one, I'm sure they have all been turned into coyote food
  • 320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite is Red Tail Hawk, sorta tastes like Eagle...ooops.

Just joking, really.

I have eaten crow but didn't like it.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just had a thought. Are pigeons considered red or dark meat? I shoot a lot of feral pigeons, and they're pretty tasty.
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    I've had Ostrich burgers a few times.

They are very tasty.

Sidewalk cafe on Acadia Island, Maine as I recall.

2-3 years in a row.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prefer Berramundi myself.