In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tombstone Frozen Pizza

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in General Discussion
Can anyone explain this phenomenon to me.
1) Preheat oven to 400
2) Remove pizza from wrap and place Directly on middle rack 6-8 inches above the bottom of the oven.
3) Heat for 15-18 minutes or until done.

Then why does this pizza come out looking the way it does. This happens every time I cook one of these pizzas.
Doesn't happen to any other brand.

Now in the picture it shows the pizza on a pizza pan.
It wasn't cooked that way.
I placed it on the pizza pan to cut it. I used to cut it on the card board that the pizza originally came with.
If I leave it on the card board the center pieces get soggy.

Here's the corker being all curled up like that I can cut it in the traditional 8 slice serving and its kinda okay.

How ever I like to cut it in 5 horizontal lines followed by 5 vertical lines so you get about 20 smaller pieces.

In order to do that I have to more or less flatten the curved edges and then the crust breaks into numerous pieces.[:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]

[img][/img]MVC-AAAAAAAPIZZ.jpg

In the second picture the pizza isn't even round any more.

[img][/img]MVC-AAAAAAAPIZZ1.jpg

Comments

• varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the ones i buy do the exact same thing. a little harder to slice but they taste the same
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I make pizza at home from scratch myself, but you may want to try cooking that thing on a pizza stone.

Either that or get yourself a Boboli crust and top it yourself. Gotta be better than that hockey '*'![:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know what you mean, cook them all the time, I switch between Tombstone & Digornio, here is my experience.

If the pizza thaws even for a minute, it will come out like that. For instance, if I buy it at the store, come home put it in the freezer while the oven pre-heats, then cook it, it will do that due to the thaw on the way home.

If the pizza has stayed in the deep freeze for a day or two and is frozen solid, it will cook normal (flat).

Middle shelf of oven.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    I make pizza at home from scratch myself, but you may want to try cooking that thing on a pizza stone.

Either that or get yourself a Boboli crust and top it yourself. Gotta be better than that hockey '*'![:D]

As varian said it still tastes the same. Usually when I eat these it is because of some time constraint. This morning I was golfing and since I got up late I didn't have anything to eat. When I left the golf course I called the wife to meet me for a late lunch. Called her cell phone and the home phone no answer. I had to eat something because I'm a diabetic and didn't want my blood sugar to drop. Didn't want to stop and get fast food while I had a bunch of these at home. So when I got home I popped one in the oven.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by booger
    I know what you mean, cook them all the time, I switch between Tombstone & Digornio, here is my experience.

If the pizza thaws even for a minute, it will come out like that. For instance, if I buy it at the store, come home put it in the freezer while the oven pre-heats, then cook it, it will do that due to the thaw on the way home.

If the pizza has stayed in the deep freeze for a day or two and is frozen solid, it will cook normal (flat).

Middle shelf of oven.

That thing was in the freezer for a week. Took it basically from the freezer to the oven it might have been out for 10 minutes. No way it could have thawed as the freezer is well below zero. It would have to have sat out for nearly an hour before it could even think about thawing. Again the Tombstone is the only pizza that does that.
  • boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 10 minutes is what got you, the crust is so thin that it thaws that quickly.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I cook them at a lower temp(325?-350?)for a longer time.
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, that's what they do. Throw some taco seasoned hamburger and lettuce on there and you've got one heck of a taco, delicious.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by booger
    The 10 minutes is what got you, the crust is so thin that it thaws that quickly.

BS That crust is no where as thin as they used to be. They market it as a thin crust but its like at least 5/16 to 3/8 thick. At one time they were thin but they sure aren't now.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by westernMDhunter
    Yep, that's what they do. Throw some taco seasoned hamburger and lettuce on there and you've got one heck of a taco, delicious.

One thing I learned about modified pizza is that Tombstone doesn't relate well to additional ingredients. I've found that Jack's pizza is one of the only ones that do. Since Jack's only has a sausage pizza I have to add my own mushrooms, onions, black olives,green peppers and cilantro [:D] to it. It also works okay with additional cheeses. Tombstone not so much
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need a bigger oven, one that you don't have to fold the pizza up to get it into.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy Pizza rolls and they will not do that....[:D][:I]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You left it too close to the taco sauce in the fridge.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would you rather deal with one of these pizzas or run a snow plow?
  • diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    quote:Originally posted by westernMDhunter

One thing I learned about modified pizza is that Tombstone doesn't relate well to additional ingredients. I've found that Jack's pizza is one of the only ones that do. Since Jack's only has a sausage pizza I have to add my own mushrooms, onions, black olives,green peppers and cilantro [:D] to it. It also works okay with additional cheeses. Tombstone not so much

Wherever could one find fresh cilantro this time of year?

What, do you magically just "step out into your yard" or something?
  • thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's the way my wife makes pizza.....burnt on the edges and raw in the middle[B)]
    I use a solid pan, spray oil and i add additional meat and cheese and cook it at 300 degrees for 40 minutes, than broil quickly until the top is evenly browned, about a minute.
    Now I don't ever use Tombstone, only the thin crust pizza's.
  • JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live on tombstone pizza and never had that happen. I use a stone to cook them on.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Faux cheese on a cardboard crust?????????
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    All I can say is that Tombstone must have come a long, long way if they are even close to DiGiorno pizza's.

Freschetta even better.

Granted I have not tried a Tombstone in many years, based on prior experience.

If they've come that far, maybe I should give them a try.
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only on GunBroker would people use a pizza stone for a frickin' frozen pizza.
  • mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a child my mother made pizza totally, 100% from scratch. Hand made crust, rolled out there on the counter, chopped up toppings from the garden, a sauce she made herself, and a lake of bubbling cheese over top of it.

And now when we have pizza my wife orders it from Papa Johns.

Youth truly is wasted on the young.
  • Heavy ChevyHeavy Chevy Member Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try a Red Baron!
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not cook on cardboard disc - remove prior to oven

Preheat has directed

Place pizza on a thin pan or tray in center of tray

Oven rack - in oven must not be 2 close to top element

Cool until cheese browns and bubbles ( don't burn it)

Remove at give 10 minutes to cool

I do this and have no problems

You can break or cut in half prior to baking - while still frozen

And I have added pepperoni and cheese toppings

Mike
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Heat Cardboard with cheese on it and see what Happens.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im not far from their plant I could go and ask them, but so can you?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    Buy Pizza rolls and they will not do that....[:D][:I]

Quit buying them as well as there barely half full of what ever is supposed to be stuffed in them.[;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5

Deal with the pizza.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******
    edited November -1
    Try a Tony's [:D] Just Kidding!![xx(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thorhammer
    That's the way my wife makes pizza.....burnt on the edges and raw in the middle[B)]
    I use a solid pan, spray oil and i add additional meat and cheese and cook it at 300 degrees for 40 minutes, than broil quickly until the top is evenly browned, about a minute.
    Now I don't ever use Tombstone, only the thin crust pizza's.

Bingo even the so called thin crust Tomsbtone is no longer thin crust. It is nearly double the thickness of Jack's, Palermo's or Orv's of which the last two I no longer buy. Sometimes I'll venture out into the $5-6 frozen pizza range but so far nothing has really impressed me.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Heat Cardboard with cheese on it and see what Happens.

I think armilite was set on Tombstone instead of Toni's.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack
    Im not far from their plant I could go and ask them, but so can you?

I sent them an email last night along with the photos. They claim 24/7 access to live people. There sure weren't any last night.[:D][:D]
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******
    edited November -1
    There are no frozen store bought pizza's that come close to what my Sicilian wife makes for me!

There are no pizza joint pizza's that even come close to her homemade pizza's!

Problem is...........she hasn't made me a pizza since our kids left the house![V]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    Do not cook on cardboard disc - remove prior to oven

Preheat has directed

Place pizza on a thin pan or tray in center of tray

Oven rack - in oven must not be 2 close to top element

Cool until cheese browns and bubbles ( don't burn it)

Remove at give 10 minutes to cool

I do this and have no problems

You can break or cut in half prior to baking - while still frozen

And I have added pepperoni and cheese toppings

Mike

Are you talking about cooking a Tombstone pizza or some other brand.

Their explicit state to pre heat oven to 400
    Place the pizza directly on the middle oven rack 6-8 inches from the bottom. NO pizza pan or stone or anything.
    Cook 15 - 18 minutes.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JasonV
    I live on tombstone pizza and never had that happen. I use a stone to cook them on.

Same here, when it comes to frozen pizza if it aint Tombstone I don't want it! I use a cookie sheet called Air Bake and have never, never in my life ever seen a Tombstone pizza do that.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5

Deal with the pizza.

Exactly, see, it is good pizza.
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no answers. The only frozen pizza I eat are Papa Murphy's that I get and put away.
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brookwood
    There are no frozen store bought pizza's that come close to what my Sicilian wife makes for me!

There are no pizza joint pizza's that even come close to her homemade pizza's!

Problem is...........she hasn't made me a pizza since our kids left the house![V]

So you are saying, IF my Sicilian Wife made me Pizza, they'd be really good.

(But) Since She does not make me Pizza's anymore, they are not as good?

Do I have it??

Not very filling are they? [:0][B)]
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Frozen pizza?!
    I used to get the single serve 10" store brand ones at Albertsons or Smith's (Kroger, to y'all East of Tucumcari), and pile on roasted/peeled green chile, provolone slivers, Meskin oregano, roasted garlic chunks, and slices of Andouille sausage.
    Mmmm.

Tombstone, Red Baron, Cecilia's, etc. got nothin' on a Boboli crust stuffed with goodies on a pesto base! Jam it in the toaster oven for 20 or so; like a little slice of heaven!
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Publix carries dough in the bakery section in balls and pre-rolled circles. Most of my college was paid for with income from several pizza joints. A 500 degree oven and my pizza stone that is older than my kids and I can have a hot pie in no time...

Thick, thin, pan , stuffed crust, calzones, stromboli.... whatever...

If I have time I make my own dough, but the stuff from Publix is awesome, fast and cheap.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem is you ordered it with pork sausage. You know how pork is, everything gets corkscrewed [:D][:D][:o)][:o)]