In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hay

danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in General Discussion
baled 750 Bermuda small square bales off my 12 acres most it has ever baled in one cutting

long hot day

Comments

• danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    do you all have all the hay you need?

it has rained so much in Arkansas that if it ever stops we will have more hay than we know what to do with
    edited November -1
    Is it going to be another bad year. Notice how hot and dry it is in most places. Here most will be left in the field. everytime they try to cut it rains. Lots of places I see they have left it in the field. Many have not even cut their field just letting them go.
    edited November -1
    For those that buy is or sell it. Is there a glut this year. Just was out driving and noticed that there is a lot of field that have been mowed and raked and have been for over 2 weeks.

Small bails are selling for$3.00.

There are even more fields that have not even been mowed. The fields that have been mowed and bailed are all small fields.
    edited November -1
    got the last cutting of the year done

540 bales today

long hard day but it feels good now [^][:)]
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does your weather forecast look good enough that it won't get rained on before you bail it?
    edited November -1
    already baled and put in the barns
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a good feeling...glad it worked out[^]
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    Good job,,,[^][^][^][^]
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I broke a sweat just reading your post. My haying days are long past but I still vaguely remember some very long hot days. I did all mine with a small round Allis baler. I worked shifts at the time so many times I would be hauling hay at four in the morning. Nobody bothers you a that time.[:D]
    standard.jpg
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wundudnee
    I broke a sweat just reading your post. My haying days are long past but I still vaguely remember some very long hot days. I did all mine with a small round Allis baler. I worked shifts at the time so many times I would be hauling hay at four in the morning. Nobody bothers you a that time.[:D]

I always made it a habit not to bother anybody at any time of day if they were making hay. You never know when they are going to say "grab a hook". [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a full days hands on task

Can you provide details of your harvest???

Equipment - terrain - staff - usage - destination - what happens in the fields now - storage - transport - give us a snapshot please...

We have 3 bales (small standard rectangle) in the backyard for use as backstop for their archery practice...

They have hung some paper targets for me - I have been practicing with an assortment of air pistols from a chair on the back porch.

Delran - Burlington county from the Delaware river heading east used to be farm country bug most of its gone now

Mike
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good for you nice to have that behind you for now [:D]

as a very young fellow a GF's family were all farmers, I help a couple times with straw and hay baling as in stacking on the wagon and in the barns . thank goodness I was 18 and full of piss and vinegar , now I would just run the other way if ask [B)][B)][:0]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    Sounds like a full days hands on task

Can you provide details of your harvest???

Equipment - terrain - staff - usage - destination - what happens in the fields now - storage - transport - give us a snapshot please...

We have 3 bales (small standard rectangle) in the backyard for use as backstop for their archery practice...

They have hung some paper targets for me - I have been practicing with an assortment of air pistols from a chair on the back porch.

Delran - Burlington county from the Delaware river heading east used to be farm country bug most of its gone now

Mike

Bermuda hay cut it Thursday evening Ted it Friday
    raked/baled/loaded/delivered it Saturday
    cut it with a 5525 John Deere and a 270 disc mower
    ted it with a 5525 JD & a TE250 Vermeer tedder
    raked it with a 5105 JD & a Kuhn rotary rake
    baled it with a 5525 JD & a 348 JD square baler with Holescher accumulator
    loaded/unloaded it with a 5105 JD and a 15 bale Holescher grapple onto 30' cotton wagon with one side cut out

sorry don't know how to do pictures on here
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    All my Kinfolk here in NE TN owned/own farmland, put up so much hay growing up it was not even funny.

Used to look forward to it back then. 14,15-17 yrs of age.

I can distinctly remember some 2000 bale days.

Then Grandpa/Papaw would hand you a $20. [:0][B)][V]

That's okay. I was young, glad to help out, and that was big $$ to me then.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    All my Kinfolk here in NE TN owned/own farmland, put up so much hay growing up it was not even funny.

Used to look forward to it back then. 14,15-17 yrs of age.

I can distinctly remember some 2000 bale days.

Then Grandpa/Papaw would hand you a $20. [:0][B)][V]

That's okay. I was young, glad to help out, and that was big $$ to me then.

2000 bale a day is alot

don't think I have ever done that much in one day.