In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Images from Today. Little Bighorn.

GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
edited August 2012 in General Discussion

Comments

• SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    how much do they want for that 1849 colt????[:p]

tom
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spartacus
    how much do they want for that 1849 colt????[:p]

tom
    It wont even fire, probably $100 would get it.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hard to imagine crossing this vast country on foot or horse when many now can't make it in a vehicle on good roads, fast food, and gps without several corrections....
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Thanks for taking the time to share the pics!
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pretty neat the cemetary isn't kept up.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    hard to imagine crossing this vast country on foot or horse when many now can't make it in a vehicle on good roads, fast food, and gps without several corrections....

It is the fast food that causes the problems.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

Thanks for taking the time to share the pics!

No problem. We have a 3 hour drive to bozeman and its easy texting this with no traffic.

Shes driving. [;)][:D]
  • rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice! I hope to make it back there some day.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    back seat texting between naps ???... never been there ..thnx for pics...natl geo had a great article on this years ago but it has been to long to remember details...
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is kept in its natural prairie grass state. The summer day I visited, I was the only one there. QUIET! with only the hot dry wind going through. Kind of spooky. No cover to hide behind. I sure wouldn't want to be in a battle there. Custer was an egotistical fool who cost the lives of a lot of men, on both sides of that battle.
  • Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the excellent pics..... I think it was in the 90's on the day of the battle and the 7th were wearing long sleeved, wool shirts and had been tin the saddle for over 20 hours. It was probably a relief to die.....
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With all those cars in town what was the celebration
    edited November -1
    Yep, nowhere to hide. They ended up shooting there horses for cover. I think the entire last stand was a matter of minutes.

Heres a photo taken not long after while the govt cleaned up the battlefield.
    This is where cemetary now sits

photo-93.jpgphoto-92.jpg
  • ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An interesting story told to me by the late Brian Pohanka, a talking head from the History Channel and an authority on the Battle of the Little Big Horn.

He told me that when General Custer was buried, he shared a grave with his brother Tom. Both men were laid on a shelter half, an empty 45-70 brass casing with their names was placed in their mouths and another shelter half covered the bodies and then dirt.

A year later a detail was sent to the sight to recover the bodies of the officers. The bodies of the enlisted men were placed in a common grave.

The day book report for that day shows that a single body was recovered from a single grave and identified as George Custer. It was removed to the cemetery at West Point were it resides to this day.

It would be ironic if an enlisted man rests in General Custer's grave at West Point and General Custer lies with his man on the hill of the Greasy Grass.
  • NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    when i went there in 1971 wooh!!! long time ago. i don't recall the stone monument i just recall being stone[:D][:D][:D][;)]LOL
    it is a sight to see,very sobering
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Been there. It was like electricity was coming from the ground. Made you feel sad, with a great feeling of depression. So many lives, so many stories behind them. They all come at you.

Only place I've been that affected me worse, was the Murrow building in OKC. We won't even go there. It was bad.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks just like it did the last time I was there; kind of choked me up again!

Glad you made it there; you will remember it always! The heat you experienced today would be about the same as the troopers experienced on June 25-26, 1876.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    It looks just like it did the last time I was there; kind of choked me up again!

Glad you made it there; you will remember it always! The heat you experienced today would be about the same as the troopers experienced on June 25-26, 1876.
    Thank you. Spot on as usual.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the photos! Used to drive by the battlefield often, on the way to Billings when we lived near Sheridan. Haven't seen it in years; must go again.

Red Lodge is a fun little town, for a tourist town.

All that country, from Yellowstone to Sheridan, and up into Montana, is good country. The Big Horns, Pryors, Beartooths; just good country. Enjoy your drive!
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the photos............next time someone tells you to take a few Gatling guns along, go for it........Custer didn't.
  • 320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Custers last words: Where did all those dam Indians come from!
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great photos! How did you like The Bear tooth Highway?
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice post Cartod.
    Custer was an egotistical moron though IMO.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, thank you for the pictures! I lost all of the digital photos I took of the place over the years.
    What's next?
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad
    Great photos! How did you like The Bear tooth Highway?It seems like a bazillion years ago now, but I remember Charles Kuralt on one of his "On The Road" shows saying that the most beautiful drive in America was the drive from Red Lodge over the Beartooth Highway into Yellowstone. So, one vacation we went up through the Black Hills, Devil's Tower, Custer Battlefield, and on to Red Lodge where we spent the night and made that drive starting a little after daylight the next day. Wow, he was right, thank you Charles!!!!! Although, my wife being just a little afraid of heights and shear drop-offs, saw very little after we got into the mountains!!!!!!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great pics, thanks for posting!
    Damn a .31 Colt recovered from the battlefield! I wonder who it belonged to.
    It was an anachronism by then as the troopers were issued the 1873 Peacemaker.

There have been some changes since I was there; the boardwalk at Last Stand Hill, and the wrought iron Indian sculptures.

Like someone said, it felt like electricity coming from the ground there.
    I could feel the ghosts.

I am really drawn to this place, partly because I was born in Billings.
    Got to get back up there and check it out again.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    Great pics, thanks for posting!
    Damn a .31 Colt recovered from the battlefield! I wonder who it belonged to.
    It was an anachronism by then as the troopers were issued the 1873 Peacemaker.

There have been some changes since I was there; the boardwalk at Last Stand Hill, and the wrought iron Indian sculptures.

Like someone said, it felt like electricity coming from the ground there.
    I could feel the ghosts.

I am really drawn to this place, partly because I was born in Billings.
    Got to get back up there and check it out again.

The old cap and ball revolver probably was dropped by one of the Indians, since it would have been outdated by then for cavalry issue.
  • RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for posting. Has the fence always been there or in the last 20 or so years since i was there,i didnt remember that.
    edited November -1
    When I visited there in the late 70's I don't think there was a fence because I seem to recall strolling among the headstones reading the inscriptions.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, Big Buffalo dropped the cap and ball revolver right after he grabbed George Custer's Peacemaker.