In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Disapointment - 1964

Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in General Discussion
I'm looking at American Rifleman January 1964 which introduces 3 Winchester rimfires (model 250, 290, and 270) with the line "Winchester still believes 22's are real rifles." The rifles are lined up against a rail fence and in the picture they looked really sharp (me being a 13 year old) at the time. I wanted to trade my bolt action 69 target special with a grooved receiver for one. Fortunately, my dad wouldn't allow it! A couple years later, when I had more experience and actually handled a 250 lever action I realized how right my dad was. It was total junk, with cheesy pressed checkering and aluminum receiver. Actually that grade had a plastic slide handle, but the wood one wasn't much better. How could Winchester have let that go through??
Ironically, in the same Jan/64 issue the Ruger 10/22 was released for $54 (the junk Winchesters cost between $52 and $56) and of course we know how that turned out!!
Well, The American Rifleman was a swell magazine back then complete with mil/surplus 03A3 for $42 and primitive reloading equipment etc.
I'm glad I've got a huge stack of 50 - 60 - 70's NRA magazines!

Comments

• KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old hickory
    How could Winchester have let that go through??

most companies make a budget line of products for people who want the name but cant afford the quality. guns, tools, knives, electronics, just about everything. and if a company doesnt make a budget brand with the same name, theres a good chance they market the off brand under another name(which in turn leads to "its a xxxxxx brand product, just a different badge" even though theres a gross disparity in quality even if they are made by the same company).
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,253 ******
    edited November -1
    Ok, you have me curious. What exactly is the disappointment?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well......... the lousy quality of their new offerings!!! Have you ever handled any of those ? Or a 1200 or 1400 shotgun?
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i have the 1972 sales brochure introducing the 9422[:D]
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old hickory

Well, The American Rifleman was a swell magazine back then complete with mil/surplus 03A3 for $42 and primitive reloading equipment etc.
    I'm glad I've got a huge stack of 50 - 60 - 70's NRA magazines!

I've got a passel of 'em from '67 through about 72.

I love just reading the ads in the pre-68 issues.