In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Throw this out to the peanut Gallery

nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
edited February 2015 in General Discussion
In the hunt for rifle. Started shopping now.

Basically down to three models

Browning Medallion (a bolt) maybe the x bolt equivalent

Winchester Super Grade

Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe

Looking for something to replace my 300 ultra(which is a remington 700) to much gun and history on it that I dont care to discuss. Either way looking at 7mm Mag or 300 win mag (maybe wsm). Has to be wood looking for something thats pretty but shoots well. Budget is about 1000 for the gun. Without throwing to many other ideas in the mix, whats thoughts on those models and the calibers. I have a 7mm mag now but am trading it in during the purchase of the new rifle. Only thing I dont know is what a 300 mag is like.

Comments

• nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not looking at Remingtons by the way. I already know all about them anyways.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of those I would choose the Winchester Super Grade. They are good looking rifles and the ones I have seen shot are fairly accurate.

I would go with the regular 300 Winchester Magnum if that is what you want. I don't know where you hunt or what you are going to hunt with it but I would think about 30-06 or 280 Rem. Unless you are hunting at long range.
    RLTW

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    Of those I would choose the Winchester Super Grade. They are good looking rifles and the ones I have seen shot are fairly accurate.

I would go with the regular 300 Winchester Magnum if that is what you want. I don't know where you hunt or what you are going to hunt with it but I would think about 30-06 or 280 Rem. Unless you are hunting at long range.

Im thinking regular 300 as its easier to get. I have 308 and 30.06 already kind of looking for something for my out west gun. Used my 308 last and it worked but looking for more. Mainly hunting mule and white tails. But I want this gun to do Elk, etc. So thats why a magnum and probably 7mm or 300
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Browning A Bolt II
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nards444

Im thinking regular 300 as its easier to get. I have 308 and 30.06 already kind of looking for something for my out west gun. Used my 308 last and it worked but looking for more. Mainly hunting mule and white tails. But I want this gun to do Elk, etc. So thats why a magnum and probably 7mm or 300
    300 magnum is the ultimate Elk caliber IMO.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
    whats the difference in recoil compared to 7mm mag? Looking at ballistics 300 is not far superior but is a better round in most categories.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well out west the 300 Win Mag is a good all around Deer/ Bear/ Elk/ Moose gun.

I would still tout the Super Grade.
    RLTW

edited November -1
    Well out west the 300 Win Mag is a good all around Deer/ Bear/ Elk/ Moose gun.

I would still tout the Super Grade.

Thanks. Basically has to be magnum. After scope this will be a $1500 gun which is pricey for me. So I want it to basically be able to bag me anything in north america. I know 30.06 will do it and 308 as well as others. But after going out west my first time and plink shots are 2-300yds the benefits of less drop at yardage is what I am looking for.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you already know what you want.

Go handle the guns on your final list and see which one fits you bets.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    Sounds like you already know what you want.

Go handle the guns on your final list and see which one fits you bets.

I do. Just trying to determine between 7mm or 300 and any thoughts. No place around here to really touch them all at the same time to kind of compare. large gun show coming up and hoping to form my final decision there, probably wont buy as I can get cheaper online.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I think the Vanguard is made by Howa.

Either of the other 2. 300 Win Mag is an excellent long range performer. It carries more * whuppin' than a 7 mag does.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a Browning guy.
    Have you considered a Safari Grade?
    Here's a real nice one, but they can be bought for 1,000-1200.00 for a nice used not abused one. Beautiful looking and they feel and shoot GREAT!
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465417019
    Think fast! This looks like quite a deal!!
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=464142114
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    I think the Vanguard is made by Howa.

Either of the other 2. 300 Win Mag is an excellent long range performer. It carries more * whuppin' than a 7 mag does.

wouldnt surprise me as Howa is made in Japan so is Weatherby. Which is kind of upsetting hate to have a jap made gun. But reality is guns are made by conglomerates now. Yeah theres remington but Im not buying that. Savage makes a great rifle that works, but doesnt offer a finish quality Im looking for. Ruger makes really nice stuff but im not looking for synthetic.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad
    I'm a Browning guy.
    Have you considered a Safari Grade?
    Here's a real nice one, but they can be bought for 1,000-1200.00 for a nice used not abused one. Beautiful looking and they feel and shoot GREAT!
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465417019
    Think fast! This looks like quite a deal!!
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=464142114

I have. They are nice. Im not opposed to use if its the right deal and a barely shot weapon, but if Im going to dump a grand id prefer new never touched. I typically like all of my guns new, but I have 2 that were used that couldnt have had more than a box through and got a steal. But I will keep a look out
    edited November -1
    Nards,
    That second one is awful nice! In my opinion, better than anything currently being made! And a pretty darn good opening price! Getting an almost new one with a spare stock for just under a grand would be a great deal!
    I'd venture to bet, you wouldn't lose a dime on it if you changed your mind.........[;)]
    Not mine, by the way!!
    Good luck with whatever you decide,
    Ed
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad
    Nards,
    That second one is awful nice! In my opinion, better than anything currently being made! And a pretty darn good opening price! Getting an almost new one with a spare stock for just under a grand would be a great deal!
    I'd venture to bet, you wouldn't lose a dime on it if you changed your mind.........[;)]
    Not mine, by the way!!
    Good luck with whatever you decide,
    Ed

Thanks for the idea. I wont be ready to buy for another month or so. But I could probably do that second one for sure. And I do the option of a syn stock coming with it, as I am looking for a show peice but having the ability to switch out during a nasty environment would be handy.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Having shot & reloaded both 7mm & 300WM for about 25 years, I feel that if you stick to factory ammo for either caliber, you'll feel more recoil from the 7mm.
    I like the 300 with 220gr Partitions for Elk/bear/moose, and 180gr for anything else furbearing.
    The 7mm is OK for whatever you feel comfortable shooting, but limited to lighter bullets.
    When I shoot F-Class, I use either AMAX or HPBT in 168-180gr in my 300s. I also load for accuracy over velocity, which sometimes means less recoil than factory loads.
    Doping drop & point of impact are more important than brand names.
    I use a Ruger 77mkll & a Sako TRG-s for my 300s, and either will shoot sub-moa at 1000yds. from a solid position.
    The 7mms I've shot were Browning's, Rugers, Winchester's, & a Savage (the Savage was the least costly, but also least accurate).
    edited November -1
    Upon further review:
    It appears the seller is one of those with a starting price no where near his reserve. At least that's what it looks like in his other auctions!
    Damn, I thought it was too good to be true! I was thinking about buying it if you were not going to!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    Having shot & reloaded both 7mm & 300WM for about 25 years, I feel that if you stick to factory ammo for either caliber, you'll feel more recoil from the 7mm.
    I like the 300 with 220gr Partitions for Elk/bear/moose, and 180gr for anything else furbearing.
    The 7mm is OK for whatever you feel comfortable shooting, but limited to lighter bullets.
    When I shoot F-Class, I use either AMAX or HPBT in 168-180gr in my 300s. I also load for accuracy over velocity, which sometimes means less recoil than factory loads.
    Doping drop & point of impact are more important than brand names.
    I use a Ruger 77mkll & a Sako TRG-s for my 300s, and either will shoot sub-moa at 1000yds. from a solid position.
    The 7mms I've shot were Browning's, Rugers, Winchester's, & a Savage (the Savage was the least costly, but also least accurate).

I dont know a lot so bear with me. But the 300 having more power, with a heavier bullet and I think I read where it has more grains of powder as well, wouldnt that mean the 300 have more recoil, assuming were talking about all things being equal. Obviously different guns due to stock design and butt pad will handle it differently.
  • 17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As for being Jap made, the Weatherby is a Howa and the Browning is probably Miroku made.

I would go with the Winchester Super Grade followed by the Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe.

I would personally stay away from the WSM. Between the .300 or the 7mm, I would opt for the .300 Win Mag.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even in the west a large percentage of deer and elk are taken at <100 yards.
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    Go with the Browning Medallion you'll like the wood.

Do the 300 Mag. I have seen 2 wounded Elk lost when using the 7mm.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Even in the west a large percentage of deer and elk are taken at <100 yards.

No I agree the mule I got in South Dakota was 300yds. Had a chance at some non shooters at around 100. But 250-400yd shots could have been taken easily on some more deer.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Not being a rocket scientist has it's advantages. I'm not certain, but think that the venturi effect is the principal culprit here. The smaller diameter of the 7mm along with the light bullets at high velocity MAY be responsible for the increase in felt recoil over the 300 with 80 grains or more of bullet weight than the 7mm.
    It's all subjective, but my shoulder tells me to stick with the 300.
    I make all my own hunting and target ammo, & try to stay within a narrow window of velocities for best accuracy with repeatable & predictable trajectories.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some guys like them but I could never warm up to the ABolt. I had one in 300 Win Mag with the adjustable loudner on it, never was very accurate and was LOUD to boot. Either the FN made model 70 or Howaby would serve you well. The 70 would probably hold it's value better. As for chambering, good old 300 Win mag gets the nod from me.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't overlook CZ weapons
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nards444
    In the hunt for rifle. Started shopping now.

Basically down to three models

Browning Medallion (a bolt) maybe the x bolt equivalent

Winchester Super Grade

Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe

Looking for something to replace my 300 ultra(which is a remington 700) to much gun and history on it that I dont care to discuss. Either way looking at 7mm Mag or 300 win mag (maybe wsm). Has to be wood looking for something thats pretty but shoots well. Budget is about 1000 for the gun. Without throwing to many other ideas in the mix, whats thoughts on those models and the calibers. I have a 7mm mag now but am trading it in during the purchase of the new rifle. Only thing I dont know is what a 300 mag is like.

You have mail.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    300 magnum is the ultimate Elk caliber IMO.
    [/quote]

GASP!!!! I teach you everything I know, and you still know nothing!!!

Everyone knows the 338 Win Mag is the Ultimate elk cartridge.

Of those listed I would go with the Winchester,

of those not listed, I'd go with a Sako 85.
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love Remington's so I won't be much use. But a savage with that accu trigger would at least deserve a look.

Heres a wood stocked deal!
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465700551

Ros
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would you need anything other than a Savage? [8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    Why would you need anything other than a Savage? [8D]

great gun. Mechanically for the money they cant be beat. But im looking for something a little fancy, which savage doesnt offer.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a peek at the Kimber 8400 classic great looking rifle right at your price range
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 17tobyracing
    As for being Jap made, the Weatherby is a Howa and the Browning is probably Miroku made.

I would go with the Winchester Super Grade followed by the Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe.

I would personally stay away from the WSM. Between the .300 or the 7mm, I would opt for the .300 Win Mag.

The Browning w/spare plastic stock is stamped Belgium..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    quote:Originally posted by 17tobyracing

It was awkwardly priced, both ended up being over 1000. And nothing aginst it, just not spending a grand on used.
    The Browning w/spare plastic stock is stamped Belgium..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    Take a peek at the Kimber 8400 classic great looking rifle right at your price range

I didnt think of those. But looking at MSRP of close to 1500 probably out of my price range. But definitely something I will keep in the back of my head.
  • aw3olaw3ol Member Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back looking at the hardware can't find the right tool for the job, Open top Navy 41 colt 5.5in barrel. I suppose that I could get along with a 38 WCF 5.5in to keep my shots from dropping off now, check out the Saddle Rings...

Low wall

[?]
    edited November -1
    ?quote:Originally posted by aw3ol
    Back looking at the hardware can't find the right tool for the job, Open top Navy 41 colt 5.5in barrel. I suppose that I could get along with a 38 WCF 5.5in to keep my shots from dropping off now, check out the Saddle Rings...

Low wall

[?]

?
  • bearman49709bearman49709 Member Posts: 503
    edited November -1
    I own or have owned all four of those rifles, here is my choice.
    1} Browning X-bolt
    2} Browning A-bolt
    3} Winchester 70
    4} Weatherby vangaurd {Will not buy any more of these}
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bearman49709
    I own or have owned all four of those rifles, here is my choice.
    1} Browning X-bolt
    2} Browning A-bolt
    3} Winchester 70
    4} Weatherby vangaurd {Will not buy any more of these}

Thanks. Everything I have been reading is x bolt over a bolt.
    edited November -1
    At the price range for a new X bolt, please don't short change yourself and disregard a Belgium made Safari Grade.
    In my opinion(and I'm sure many others, a far superior rifle).
    New isn't always the best.[;)][;)]
    Nothing at all wrong with a 30-50 year old rifle that has been well taken care of.