In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Price of ammo???

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in General Discussion
I just bought ammo today, 555 box of winchester 22 for 21.99. Last year I paid 13.99 for it at the same wal-mart. I bought all they had which was 10 boxes. Has ammo gone up in your area?????

Comments

• FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep- up about $4 for the Win 555 and Rem 525
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It matters not what the actual reasons are or if there is a logical reason for it but ammo prices are going up and black guns are selling at a faster pace in the last few weeks since mid 2009 when the first Obama scare took place.

At least then brass/lead/copper prices were spiking on the commodity market whereas they are low at this time.

Believe and do what you want but IMO one should have right this moment what one desires to shoot in both guns, ammo and/or reloading components to last to summer of 2014 but, again, IMO

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wulfmann
    It matters not what the actual reasons are or if there is a logical reason for it but ammo prices are going up and black guns are selling at a faster pace in the last few weeks since mid 2009 when the first Obama scare took place.

At least then brass/lead/copper prices were spiking on the commodity market whereas they are low at this time.

Believe and do what you want but IMO one should have right this moment what one desires to shoot in both guns, ammo and/or reloading components to last to summer of 2014 but, again, IMO

Wulfmann

I do. We all knew another panic was coming, right?
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    I do. We all knew another panic was coming, right?

I was caught somewhat off guard but had stocked up pretty well anyway.

I expected this to ease into a panic around July or so.

January was the low on ammo pricing and it has climbed slowly and now a bit faster.

It will be interesting to see how much it spikes and if we will see bargains like Cheaper Than Dirt 1,000 rounds of LC M855 loose boxed regularly $1399.99 on sale for $999.99 (plus shipping. You can't expect free shipping on a deal like that)[xx(]

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
    edited November -1
    Stocked up pretty well on .22 myself. Haven't bought any in the last year.

And Loading up some .308 TAP as we speak.
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've noticed an increase. Prices are up on everything. Even more troubling is the "rationing" at the 3 Wally worlds within 10 miles of my house. They only allow 10 boxes per customer.
  • buckstarbuckstar Member Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MrGunz22
    I've noticed an increase. Prices are up on everything. Even more troubling is the "rationing" at the 3 Wally worlds within 10 miles of my house. They only allow 10 boxes per customer.

Last time I bought from wallmart there was a limit of 200 rounds maximum total ammo. Buy a brick of .22 and that's all the ammo you are buying today. Yes yes, that can get you around 500 rounds but it's one package. If you attempted to buy the little cardboard 50 round packs that come out of a 500 brick of T-Bolts, you would only get 4 of them.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I quit buying 2 years ago. I'll never to be able to shoot 10% of what I have. The rest is an investment. A $.01 ammo tax or other bad things by our P.O.S. (forgot the "U" again) will help my retirement. Where? - I don't know but probably not in scenic Indiana! If the bad things don't happen, my son can use it up.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usally buy 5 to 6 thousands rounds of 22 ammo every four months. I shoot alot of it in the pistol league and for practicing for the league. I have alot of other ammo but I really dont shoot it alot. It is just stock piled for deer hunting.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BTDT
    I'm still sitting on 1120 rds. of .308 that I don't need. [V]

No need, it will not hatch. Don
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    haven't bought any .22 rounds in 2years. Suppose I should tho, I'm down to 10 thousand left,,
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BTDT
    I'm still sitting on 1120 rds. of .308 that I don't need. [V]

Give away?[:D]
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    I think this thread is perfect for this.

nowarningshot.jpg
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buying ammo over the counter right now is foolish. You can buy online cheaper than your local stores.

Bulk .22 still be found in the $16-$17 range. 1000 9mm delivered for $1.85 per box cheaper than wal mart.

The list goes on.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same ole sheet different year...doesnt matter what year[xx(]...they always create an excuse..and we pay for it
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Supply and demand/or precieved demand..manufacturers create the price increases...thru less production ....bottom line....heck most here create it for anything gun related...think about it..gun sellers LOVED Obama and the 2008/2012 election years...can anyone inform me of some MAJOR gun control act the Obama admin enacted?...not proposed ENACTED!
  • llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have less than 6000 rounds you are just a hobbyist.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    Buying ammo over the counter right now is foolish. You can buy online cheaper than your local stores.

Bulk .22 still be found in the $16-$17 range. 1000 9mm delivered for $1.85 per box cheaper than wal mart.

The list goes on.

You are spot on. I found I can buy bulk cheaper online but I needed the ammo right away. I have a shoot this afternoon. I will be buying in advance from now on. Cabelas has a good deal for 79 dollars. 2100 round and a dry storage box.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For some reason the 555 boxes of Winchester are $2 more than the 550 round boxes Federal and Remington at $19.95.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Henry0Reilly
    For some reason the 555 boxes of Winchester are $2 more than the 550 round boxes Federal and Remington at $19.95.

My guns dont like the federal or remington. I get alot of jams and misfires. The winchesters seem to work the best.