In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

LEGAL GUN LENTH

RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in General Discussion
I know the rifle barrel has to be 16 inches but is there an overall lenth also? How about one with a folding stock?

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rosie

How about one with a folding stock?

There is still a legal length of a rifle with a folding stock. Don
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    26" overall with the stock extended.

CP
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    16"/26 rifle
    18"/26" shotgun

with folding stocks, i believe it is measured with the stock extended. i cant remember what position a collapsible stock must be in when measured. i have a feeling its the shortest position, but i couldnt swear to it.
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess I should have made it simpler for Don. I wanted to know the legal length with the stock folded. [:)]
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    16"/26 rifle
    18"/26" shotgun

with folding stocks, i believe it is measured with the stock extended. i cant remember what position a collapsible stock must be in when measured. i have a feeling its the shortest position, but i couldnt swear to it.

Measured with the stock fully extended. Even if the OAL length was below 26 inches with the stock folded (or retracted) the rifle will still meet the OAL length requirement. On the other hand, if you were to physically remove the butt stock and the OAL length was below 26 inches then you would be in violation. On some rifles there is a "cap" which can be installed in place of the butt stock and in those situations the 26 inches OAL still applies.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    16"/26 rifle
    18"/26" shotgun

Measured with the stock fully extended. Even if the OAL length was below 26 inches with the stock folded (or retracted) the rifle will still meet the OAL length requirement. On the other hand, if you were to physically remove the butt stock and the OAL length was below 26 inches then you would be in violation. On some rifles there is a "cap" which can be installed in place of the butt stock and in those situations the 26 inches OAL still applies.

Hmmm.... Fair enough. Thanks for the correction. It would make sense to me that, as far as collapsible stocks, they'd want the shorted setting to be the minimum but I guess not. I'd be interested to have been a fly on the wall to hear the explanation behind that one.
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    16"/26 rifle
    18"/26" shotgun

Mark, I don't usually question you but I was thinking the OAL was 26" PERIOD. If the stock was folded, it still had to have a OAL of 26". I may have to call up the BATF and get a answer to this.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The explanation/reasoning is based on the definition of a rifle, which includes a firearm with a rifled bore intended to be fired from the shoulder. To fire the firearm from the shoulder the stock must be in the fully extend (or open) position and this is where the OAL measurement is taken. If the butt stock were to be completely removed (and replaced with a end-cap) the firearm would be incapable of being shoulder fired and the OAL minimum length applies. Remember that once a firearm leaves the factory with a butt stock fitted it is a rifle for life and the minimum OAL length will always apply if the stock is removed.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by countryfarmer
    16"/26 rifle
    18"/26" shotgun

Mark, I don't usually question you but I was thinking the OAL was 26" PERIOD. If the stock was folded, it still had to have a OAL of 26". I may have to call up the BATF and get a answer to this.

You are wrong

CP