In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Do your own experiment with fire ants

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in General Discussion

Comments

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    I've heard for years that stuff is really bad. Never liked the taste so have never used it,or products that contain it,that we know of,,
  • stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am very proud that I am never politically correct. I have never used any sweetener except white sugar, sorgham syrup, and maple syrup.....even though I am a diabetic. The trick is to be careful of what, and how much one eats.
    I have never liked the taste of any of the artificial sweeteners, and to me the taste of honey is that of something one should never put in his mouth. I would easily do without if that was the only sweet thing around.
  • stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a kid in South Florida, we would pour a little kerosene or turpentine down the red ant (AKA fire ant) hills. Not only did it kill the ants, they never came back-and a few rainstorms later grass would grow on the spot again.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Little off topic but for any bug type ground dweller ants included.
    this stuff works!
    http://organiccontrol.com/beneficial-nematodes/

Fleas, ants, ticks, etc.
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't really think that snopes ran the experiment they describe...
    IF they fed a group of ants nothing but aspar-LAME, they would starve to death.
    That stuff should provide exactly the amount of energy (0 calories) for man and ant alike.

Personally I buy the aspar-lame kills ants theory, but I don't think it acts as a poison...I think they just find it sweet and tasty and eat it exclusively over other foods they can find, and starve from it...
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KSUmarksman
    I don't really think that snopes ran the experiment they describe...
    IF they fed a group of ants nothing but aspar-LAME, they would starve to death.
    That stuff should provide exactly the amount of energy (0 calories) for man and ant alike.

Personally I buy the aspar-lame kills ants theory, but I don't think it acts as a poison...I think they just find it sweet and tasty and eat it exclusively over other foods they can find, and starve from it...

Only after a full autopsy of several dozen ants it was fed to would we know for sure.
  • buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aspartame is nasty stuff. [xx(]

We have good success w/ Amdro around here. No need to use that poison.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if it's good or bad for you but I do know it gives me a shaky feeling so I don't eat/drink it.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • TexasVetTexasVet Member Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you use horse manure as a fertilizer that fire ants will move. (We tried it - they will leave). Seems they don't like the competition from the micro organisms in horse pookey.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nutrasweet was recommended to us a while back as a sweet ant killer.
    It didn't work all that well for us.