In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Farmers?

lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in General Discussion
What is farm ground bringing in your area?

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lkannes
    What is farm ground bringing in your area?

Lots of work. Don
  • big genobig geno Member Posts: 2,685 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I rent my 9.87 acre field for 1200 a year.
  • Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To buy : $8000.00 - $10000.00 per acre for bigger tracts of top quality ground. Cash rents are $200.00.
  • diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $8,000-$12,000 an acre here. Cash rent $300-$400 an acre.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rental prices.
    Pretty common pasture land is $20 and up. Just saw a guy offering $50/acre for pasture but wanted it within xx miles of the area he lived. I get $5000 for 200 acres of pasture from April 15 to October 15. MIL's 300 or so acres rented for $6500 but some is poor and difficult to access and 2/3 of it is restricted during deer season.
    Row crop land is too variable to post. Anywhere from $75 to 200 per acre depending on condition, soil type,and location.
  • ChalklineChalkline Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    $200/acre cash rent. That seems low to me for $10,000/acre farm ground which I would assume is well drained or tiled. Fifty years to break even, more when you add in the property taxes.

I think your renter is laughing all the way to the bank unless that's river bottom ground and he's losing every three or four crops to flooding.
  • use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1/2 section north of me went for $6500 an acre about 2 months ago. Cash rent is all over the place but generally north of $100 an acre. Dave
  • NEIAPredatorNEIAPredator Member Posts: 1,443
    edited November -1
    $4000 to $7000 if your buying, depending on the ground, and $250 to $400 for rent.
  • Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
    edited November -1
    Just bought 82 acres with a well, decent fence, terraced, for $90,000.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +10000 to buy.
    +250 to rent.

Heck there is +400 rents. That doesnt pay for beans too well.
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stupid farmers. $10,000.00+ for farm land? Only if it's next to a huge city.

Didn't we see this before in the 80's? And we all know how that ended.
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Stupid farmers. $10,000.00+ for farm land? Only if it's next to a huge city.

The 1980's was before the world economy.

$10,000/acre for corporate farms is just chump change. The family farmer is gone forever.[V]
  • tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    I have a 40 acre tract for sale - it is what we call "cut over" (it has been timbered about 10 years ago) so it is scrubby mess. I would be tickled pink to get $1500.00 an acre.

Does this count as a "shameless plug"?
  • buckstarbuckstar Member Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tacking1
    I have a 40 acre tract for sale - it is what we call "cut over" (it has been timbered about 10 years ago) so it is scrubby mess. I would be tickled pink to get $1500.00 an acre.

hmmm... what state?
  • rscoleman88rscoleman88 Member Posts: 4,250
    edited November -1
    Too much.[V] 35-10 an acre.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckstar

hmmm... what state?

NC
  • buckstarbuckstar Member Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

hmmm... what state?

NC

Ahh, thanks, but nevermind. 1500 is cheep for my area because even worn out farmland or timber stubble wasteland is still several thousand/acre and sold as "super good hunting land of max awesome wonderment to the extreme times 100". How's the deer there?
    edited November -1

hmmm... what state?

NC

Ahh, thanks, but nevermind. 1500 is cheep for my area because even worn out farmland or timber stubble wasteland is still several thousand/acre and sold as "super good hunting land of max awesome wonderment to the extreme times 100". How's the deer there?

they move when you bump them with your hip.
  • hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
    they are planting houses now, 25k - 50k acre, all the old farmers are dieing off, the kids dont want to farm.
  • use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hotshoot
    they are planting houses now, 25k - 50k acre, all the old farmers are dieing off, the kids dont want to farm.

I wouldn't say the kids don't want to farm. The cost of starting to farm or starting someone out is beyond most peoples comprehension. And that's with zero guarentee they'll make any money. Dave
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I wouldn't say the kids don't want to farm.

They just want the money from selling off the farm. Lazy, spoiled, and greedy.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have 120 acres in sc kansas that has 90 acres of farm ground with some trees and a creek running thru it(mostly dry)...higher ground for house... a 5 and 6" cased wells two ponds...third started ..mucho deer & turkey....right now have about 3 beaver dams on creek ala old bachelor beaver...water draws duck, etc game ..1/2 mile from US highway ...best wheat was 60 bu/ac., best oats were 100 bu/ac, can't remember milo...might sell if offered $2500 acre
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by diver-rig
    $8,000-$12,000 an acre here. Cash rent $300-$400 an acre.

Same here in Central IL