In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lab Pup Training

clinteasterlingclinteasterling Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in General Discussion
Well we picked up another lab pup this weekend. She is 12 weeks old and already doing solo retrieves. She follows my 2 yr old Lab everywhere. So much we should should have named her "Shaddow" instead of "Zoe". The older Lab "Clyde" will work birds until he get bored. Hopefully, they both will hunt. Currently, we are playing fetch 2-3 times a day for about 15-20 min. Does anyone have any suggestions for a training?

Comments

• rscoleman88rscoleman88 Member Posts: 4,250
    edited November -1
    You are doing it right. Glad you've got an older Lab to help. Train in short sessions in accordance with her performance and attention span. Start soon with a cap gun on gun training. Good luck!
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This reminds me of that Disney movie The Fox and the Hound. The old dog taught the new dog skills!!!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got one of these when gundog_2220_70032329 my golden was just a little girl. She took right to it. and until the day she died if I got that or a shotgun out of the closet she was ready to GO.

New pup coming home in about 6 weeks. can't wait!!!
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    My Chocolate lab is coming along pretty fast. Still a lot of puppy in him though. Good luck with your new lab.
  • djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I traid my lab I used to make very small set ups that I could control. I called it going to class. For example.
    1 I'd sit the dog with me on a leash.
    2 toss a dummy 3 or 4 feet
    3 control the dog make him sit and be calm
    4 signal the dog with word and hand sign to fetch but keep him on a line.
    5 give him the hand signal to retrive and pull him in if need be.
    6 praise

I did the same thing when teaching hand signals for right and left except the dog had 2 lines on him and was facing me.

1 place two lines on the dog one to the right one to the left
    2 an assistand on each side will tend these lines
    3 place a dummy on each side right and left about 3 or 4 feet away from the dog.
    4 the dog will be in the middle sitting
    5 stand about 3 feet in front of the dog and signal right with sound and sign
    6 the assistand on that side will help with a small tug and maybe by rolling the dummy.
    7 order the dog with word and sign to bring the dummy to you.
    short classes 3 or 4 tries at most
    for word instructions I used not just differnt words but also different tones or notes or pitch.

overal the most important thing you can do is stay calm happy and consistant.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just be patient and alot of praise. I've trained a few and you know right away if you have a smart one. Not all dogs act alike. Some pick up quick some don't. Be patient. My first bird dog when I was in HS came as a surprise. Another hunter had a bird dog.. I didn't. He was ready to shoot his brittany for not doing what it was trained to do faster than the dog wanted to do it. He was actually going to give it a load of 8's. I went out in the field and the dog wasn't acting right.. It gave me the quail. Then it layed down. I told the owner his dog wasn't right.. Owner said the dog was just being slack. Owner got pissed and actually gave me his dog. I took the dog home, and then to the vet. Vet said the dog had some virus or something.. gave it a shot and some medicine. I hunted with that dog for quite a few years before it died and even in front of the guy who give it to me. Funny thing the dog never went over or acted like it knew the former owner. I continued to have bird dogs every since. The one I have now is a ham. She is tempermental and knows just how far to push my buttons. But when she goes to far like my last one.. I just put her in the truck. Worst punishment you could do.. Shooting birds and the dog can't play. After about 15 min.in the truck She is all bird dog and doing her job serious. All I tell folks is to go out and enjoy the day with your dog. Nothing in the world like hunting with a good bird dog.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    I got one of these when gundog_2220_70032329 my golden was just a little girl. She took right to it. and until the day she died if I got that or a shotgun out of the closet she was ready to GO.

Clint and I are in the same boat. Where can I get one of these?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

Here is a list of places that carry the whole line..

http://www.retriev-r-trainer.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15&Itemid=6
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

Here is a list of places that carry the whole line..

http://www.retriev-r-trainer.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15&Itemid=6

Many thanks Capt!
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • clinteasterlingclinteasterling Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the link.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I kept frozen ducks in the chest freezer, and used them as throw bumpers. This way, as she was learning the retrieve, she was also getting her nose acclimated to the scent[;)] use the duck for 20min or so, then back in the freezer and pull out another one.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rscoleman88
    You are doing it right. Glad you've got an older Lab to help. Train in short sessions in accordance with her performance and attention span. Start soon with a cap gun on gun training. Good luck!

Great advice [;)] I have trained three labs to hunt and the trainer I worked with said to keep it short. These dogs have a very short attention span.