In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone live near Huntsville, AL...?

jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
edited August 2012 in General Discussion
Anyone live near the Redstone Arsenal area of Huntsville AL? My son "might" be heading there as a posting with the USAF so was wondering where he can shoot and maybe find a place to hunt? Anything in the area a 23 year old will enjoy and he is into history like myself big time? Any major collegg es there being he NEEDS to transfer his schooling a swell? He has put in for a nice posting with the Missile aspect, all I can say for security reasons, and has a great chance of getting it being he has been in going on 4 years, taken several schools well before higher ranking USAF personal, and HOPEFULLY ranks up to E-5 (staff Sargent) in a week of so.

I appreciate ANY info and if anyone lives near there, might meet up with you being I might drive down to visit him if he posts there

Comments

• peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    Redstone Arsenal is a HUGE military reservation. Plenty of deer hunting and fishing areas within the reservation.

It boarders the Tennessee River and is very near Lake Guntersville - LARGEMOUTH BASS hot spot.

My hometown of Cullman is only about 35 miles from there.

I think he will enjoy that assignment very much.
    If he has a choice, I think he should accept it.

Forgot to say, the UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA has a campus in Huntsville.

Thanks---Peabo
  • nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am little over hour away, Huntsville is a nice little town.
  • realspeedrealspeed Member Posts: 6,335
    edited November -1
    I sent you a link to a local Alabama forum geared towards outdoor activities.
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My son lives in Woodville and works on the arsenal. He ended up there when the Nimitz came in for a refuel. He finished out his Navy tour working for the DOD and then stayed on the same job. He has worked in several areas there for the DOD, Including going to Iraq looking for stuff. He started out with the DOD in Missle and Space Intelligence 'MISIC', and has since has worked for the Army in building prototype equipment and experimental armament.

There is an excellent place to shoot west of Huntsville a few miles. It's Swan Creek WMA shooting range. It's a free range and was very nice whwn I was there.

You're son will want to see Larry's pistol Parlor and range right in Huntsville. Larry's has an excellent selection of both old and new firearms.

swan%2520creek%25204.jpg

swan%2520creek%25201.jpg

swan%2520creek%25202.jpg
    standard.jpg
    edited November -1
    I heard for years how cool Larrys was.... I always wanted to go. Then we had f-class shoot in tenn come up so on the way we stopped at Larrys. Not impressed at all. to small , prick sales people, great selection... WAY OVERPRICED.... $599 for a standard Saiga ak not the one with the pistol grip. this was 6 months ago
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Would love to help. Know nothing of the area.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's only a short drive from the Jack Daniels distillery. A great way to spend a Saturday, taking the tour.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    It's only a short drive from the Jack Daniels distillery. A great way to spend a Saturday, taking the tour.

x2
  • hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maple Ridge Gun Club 256-737-7592 cell 256-708-9153. Range includes up to 500 yds, $15 per session. Take hwy 278 west 2 miles west of Cullman at exit 308, I-65. Turn left and about 1 mile back into the woods. Went here and they were closed. Haven't been back.
  • nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hobo9650
    Maple Ridge Gun Club 256-737-7592 cell 256-708-9153. Range includes up to 500 yds, $15 per session. Take hwy 278 west 2 miles west of Cullman at exit 308, I-65. Turn left and about 1 mile back into the woods. Went here and they were closed. Haven't been back.

Last time I was there about 1 1/2 years ago, they had tires put on on all rifle lanes. To shoot thru them. It used to be really nice, with the golf cart included. Will not go back [:(] If you call ahead they will open it up, could not shoot 50BMG either[xx(]