In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

hide a door

4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
edited August 2012 in General Discussion
Been looking for some plans, for a bookshelf that will swing, to hide a door, does anyone know of any

Comments

• shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been thinking about putting a "hatch" in our walk in closet to get down in our cellar. After that Derecho blew through, thinking it was a tornado we need away into our cellar without going outside.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I mounted casters under mine to roll it out to gain access to the door
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    I've been thinking about putting a "hatch" in our walk in closet to get down in our cellar. After that Derecho blew through, thinking it was a tornado we need away into our cellar without going outside.

Walk-in closet..... trap-door.... voila... "DING DING DING.... going down [:D]
  • COBmmcmssCOBmmcmss Member Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, here's a place out of Texas that does a good job. They mount right into the frame of your old door. I'm going to be using them for my remodel in my study.

http://www.hiddenpassages.com/concept_doors.shtml

COB
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Here is a closet under a staircase that I converted to a bookcase/hidden safe. I simply took off the door leaving the frame. I made the bookcase with rollers on the bottom and it simply rolls out of the closet revealing a gun safe. The hall way was so narrow it was hard for me to get good pics.

002.jpg

With the book case rolled out revealing the safe.
    004-1.jpg

Book case rolled back in.
    003.jpg

008-1.jpg

007-1.jpg
  • edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    MMOMEQ-55 Your safe is empty someone found your stash
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes I'm amazed what you guys put on the World Wide Web.
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You notice he DID leave out some critical informations. [:D]

What's your address and what hours are you normally gone from the house? Just curious, of course. [:D][:D]
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a friend in Colorado Springs whose two story house (in front) backed into a hillside, making it only a one story in the back.
    He put in a simple cheap gun cabinet with the old obligatory clear glass doors against a wall downstairs. It was hinged and swung out easily on its rollers on the tiled floor once you reached behind it and tripped the hidden latch, revealing a doorway into a room he had excavated and then lengthened into a 25' two lane shooting range. This was right in the middle of town. Being subterranean, the noise was pretty well muffled. That is also where his REAL gun racks were. In the glass fronted guncase, he kept a couple of old cheapy rusty .22's as fodder for any burglars. He figured that his hobby was pretty public knowledge and if a burglar found nothing, he would just hunt harder and maybe find the hidden room. (It was kind of like a jeweller leaving paste "diamonds" in the display case overnight while the real ones are hidden. Let the burglars take them and run, leaving less damage to the property.) A room like that could also make for a pretty good "safe room" under the right circumstances. If it was mine, I might be tempted to continue the excavation further out, to some bushes and have an exit hatch there, secured from the inside, just in case a quiet departure is ever wanted. It would be one heck of a way to surprise back yard prowlers. [:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    Actually this is not my house but a friends house that I remodeled. There is nothing in the pic that gives out the location. LOL[:D]

But, if I did this for a friend, imagine what I have done in my own house. That I will never post pics of.[:D]
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    Actually this is not my house but a friends house that I remodeled. There is nothing in the pic that gives out the location. LOL[:D]

But, if I did this for a friend, imagine what I have done in my own house. That I will never post pics of.[:D]

Another excellent job![;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan
    I like this:

medium_hidden-door-3.jpg
    Especially if the location and/or dimensions of the unseen area can't be determined externally....

I like that idea as well....

Along with JohnnyB's hidden safe/book shelf... Good use of wasted space.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like this:

medium_hidden-door-3.jpg
    Kinda reminiscent of the Munsters pet "Spot" the dragon who lived under the stairs...

Munsters_spot-thumb-550x412-38241.jpg
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Dont know of any...but I know how to build the best "hidie hole" that would hold probably 20+ handguns, extra mags, rings, coins etc...a fewer handguns and it would hold maybe 12 handguns and 2 maybe 3 rifles...do away with all handguns and it would hold maybe 5 rifles. The number of guns & items it will hold is solely dependent on the size of the area where you build it...and its a super easy build.

I garauntee NO ONE would ever find it...and much easier to build and make work than a bookcase hidie hole..if that is the intention.

The hinge set up for a HEAVY, even small bookcase, is the HARD part, built one once and I know my way around woodworking...and with another carpenter friend it was a JOB to make work properly and to have the reveals even, so as it was not noticable, which, is the entire intention.

The hidie hole I speak of is simple & inexspensive...I had 3 in one house before I bought safes...and even have two here, with safes...no way someone would find 'em.

If I can get some decent pics, since its in a closet, and if you keep reminding me...Ill take some guns from the safe and put them in to show you what it is and how it works...[;)]
    edited November -1
    I like this:

medium_hidden-door-3.jpg

Now this is cool. Problem would be when it starts leaving rub marks on the walls.
  • KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    I love hidden places, false bottoms, ect. Show more!