In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AR prices.

rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
My recent e-mails, show entry level AR's selling for under $400.

Bought my first Colt AR, used in the early 70's. For not much less than that.

The manufacturers cost, must be more than $400. Must be losing their shirts. Kind of serves them right. Figured on HRC winning. And them making a big killing when her and her commie buddies. Would restrict their sale.

Same same, with .22 rimfire ammo. Bottom has dropped out. "Ammo Seek" has it in bulk quantities for less than 5 cents a round.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am glad to see that the prices of AR's are going down, When I drove by the local gun shop I saw a sign saying AR 15 699.00 I almost went off the road. I have no idea what kind they are but it almost seems worth buying one in case of a ban. On the other side I cant sell my gun that I built for what I put into it. Whats happening in your neck of the woods? BTW im in IL.
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes it is tough times in the gun biz.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If firearms manufacturing is anything like manufacturing automobiles, there's a profit built in.

Example: A pushrod V6 was produced for approx $400.oo TOTAL cost including labor and overhead. Cost to a customer for replacement was approx $3000.

Mass production is the key.

I believe the issue with ARs is that everyone that wants one has at least one.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright

Only if you're a seller.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rufe-I believe your analysis is right on.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    The .308s are still higher than Giraffe nuts, when are the big guns coming down?
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it's sad pathetic that you think it serves them right, I mean let's face facts. The last ban lasted how many years????? And in that time they could not manufacture Any!!!!! But if Hillary would've had a permanent ban on them. And if they hadn't stockpiled??? You would be bitching about that too

They took a gamble in manufacturing a huge surplus, so that they could keep on supplying these banned guns to people that want them despite what the liberal bleens did. To ensure that your rights were not taken away from you. Granted.they are in Business to make a profit, but people will keep on purchasing firearms even after the so called assault type are illegal to purchase. So they will keep on making some sort of firearm until all guns are banned.

but I can't believe you guys would down grade them for trying to ensure your Second Amendment rights are as protected as they can get them protected!!!'!! I do remember the last time there was a ban and a bunch people down grading them now were praising them back then for having a surplus! Shame on you [V]

You're nothing but a bunch of Fairweather friends[:D]
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    The .308s are still higher than Giraffe nuts, when are the big guns coming down?

PSA has a 18" .308 kit for $499.99 shipped and a receiver for $79.99.[:)]
    They are dropping some.
  • KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

Same same, with .22 rimfire ammo. Bottom has dropped out. "Ammo Seek" has it in bulk quantities for less than 5 cents a round.

I'm still waiting for when you can buy a 500 round brick for $17 on sale...$20 regular price. Bought 525 of Remington Golden bullet for $30 locally and ok with that, we are far from the bottom.
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Whatever the market conditions are, there are always going to be fewer of the .308 guns sold than the 5.56. Same with the .300 Whisper, 6.8, etc.

Given that fact, fewer sold means higher price due to the economies of scale.
  • KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright

Only if you're a seller.

Supply and demand economics...politics does crazy stuff with the demand side.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought a 525 round pack at wally world of federal 22 lr just under 21.00 they had about 6 boxes in sight but still only allow one per customer
    and I am on the band wagon for a nice AR10 308 just about to the point of getting one and PSA sure making it tough to hold off
    much longer [B)][B)]

quote:Originally posted by Krony
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

I'm still waiting for when you can buy a 500 round brick for $17 on sale...$20 regular price. Bought 525 of Remington Golden bullet for $30 locally and ok with that, we are far from the bottom.
  • pistoljimpistoljim Member Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey oaks, what is sad and pathetic is that the dealers are the ones that were selling 500 dollar ar's for up to 2000 bucks and 10 dollar bricks of 22's for up to 70 bucks and 10 dollar mags for 30 bucks. It is also sad that gun buyers were willing to pay those prices because they believe all the rumors about banning this or that.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the higher end and rarer ones are still getting bids here..Entry level, not so much.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seen a new DPMS flat top advertised at a big box store for $400 over the weekend.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redneckandy

PSA has a 18" .308 kit for $499.99 shipped and a receiver for $79.99.[:)]
    They are dropping some.

My experience, shooting short barreled light rifles, firing full size military cartridges. 7.62 X 51, 7.62 X 54, 8 X 57 etc. Wasn't positive, they definitely aren't fun to shoot. Or being near to another person shooting them. The muzzle blast and recoil, made my eyes water, and my shoulder black and blue.

I would personally pass on a short barreled, light AR 10 type rifle. Unless it had a barrel at least 22" and weighed 8 pounds.

If you are just buying it as a fun gun. Guaranteed, if the barrel is 18", and weight 7 lbs, or less. It's going to be a safe queen, 90% of the time.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope the dealers are living off their fat in these "lean" days. Those enterprising folks that sold high must be laughing still [:D]. And those folks who're sitting on $1500 table top specials are still crying like Tammy Faye.

Keep an eye out for the next "Fast And Furious" situation that comes to light. Manufactures needing cash like John Delorean selling/smuggling direct like to the cartels.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Buy low, sell high. Most people do the opposite.[:I]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain