In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How many chainsaws does the average person have?

jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in General Discussion
Walking through my shop I counted 32 mostly Stihls. Just bout all of these I rebuilt/refurbished to like new from the ground up whatever they needed. I can bout work on them in my sleep. Here is a picture of my MS660, MS460, MS440, 036, 039, MS260, 026, 026. The last few years I have sold dozens on Ebay I rebuilt/refurbished and made good money better than gun sales I've had. It is just a side line hobby I have instead of watching TV much.

3x4LNhw.jpg
Here is a picture of my MS660 I put crank bearing, oil seals, new piston, honed the cylinder, new carburetor, baked on new paint, full skip chain, some new plastic, pressure and vacuum tested and it has compression of 170 lbs. plus. It is a sawing beast as it has upwards of 8 hp with the dual port muffler and some of the other mods I did to it. You just about can't stall it in wood. I can saw more in 30 minutes with it than can with a 50cc saw all day.
T7DLFCK.jpg

Comments

• mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One stihl (small vintage model)

Mike
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When what you do becomes a passion... You get to be an expert PDQ!

NICE!!!
  • oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very nice. I have one Stihl, I'd have to go look to see the model number. But it runs and cuts like a champ. Ran one tank of fuel through it today deadwooding and cleaning up recent storm damage.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nice hobby good looking work do you repaint them also

I do not even use one but every few years for trimming or a dead tree I think I have about 4 or 5 I have picked up over the years but just run of the mill cheap ones
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only one, a 1977 031AV. When I went to buy it the dealer had a cylinder with some vanes knocked off with a piston with no rings in it. You could put your finger over the plug hole and you couldn't shake the piston out. Take your finger off the plug hole and the piston would fall right out. It sold me. This has been a really good machine. You have a nice collection of saws.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg
    standard.jpg
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    You have a few more than me (5).
    Where do you get parts, dealer or online?
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    You have a few more than me (5).
    Where do you get parts, dealer or online?
    Both, and you can put a want add on a couple of the chainsaw sites and get some good parts, plus Ebay and if I need something fast the dealer.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner
    nice hobby good looking work do you repaint them also

I do not even use one but every few years for trimming or a dead tree I think I have about 4 or 5 I have picked up over the years but just run of the mill cheap ones

I get matching paint and bake it on to 170 degrees on what parts I can.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One Husqvarna can do enough.
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    One that works and one that doesn't.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wundudnee
    Only one, a 1977 031AV. When I went to buy it the dealer had a cylinder with some vanes knocked off with a piston with no rings in it. You could put your finger over the plug hole and you couldn't shake the piston out. Take your finger off the plug hole and the piston would fall right out. It sold me. This has been a really good machine. You have a nice collection of saws.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg
    I have one just like that plus an 030 and an 032. The 032 is a sawing beast and will handle a 20" bar with ease. I converted mine from points to electronic ignition and it made them run a lot smoother. Also one of those saws that has been taken care of, it is not uncommon for them to do 180 lbs.+ compression a very underrated saw. They can be a little hard to work on, but not as bad as the clam shell type saws.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6.....all electric...no yanking ropes for me ....plug em in on the truck bucket or 300' extension cord....no intent on going to the deep forest where there may be lions, tigers, and bears
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny you should ask. Just sold 2 Stihls (like new). And kept 2 small Home Lites[:0] Also have 4 or 5 electric saws.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3 a little baby electric. A slightly larger Craftsman and a 14 inch Homelite. The gas ones are 20+ yrs old. Have not used them much if any in the last ten years since we moved. The yard is about an eight of what it used to be and that one was mostly woods.
  • nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got one...its a echo. That being said, I am a homeowner who uses wood in the winter time for heat. I am no professional logger or anything like that.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a tree farm and have three saws. Got away from Stihl and have been very happy with the Huskys. They seem to run forever and if I do need parts they are easier and cheaper to get.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I play with saws also, don't have as many as you. I have about 5 stihls, 028's, MS290, 028AV, ms271, 7 Homelite EZ's, 5 or 6 of the little super 2's or XL's and bunch of old McCullochs, 1-43, 46, 53 series. I keep all of them running good, start each one at least once a year. I piddle around with them as a hobby also. Collecting them can get into your blood. (when you know how to repair them) I just got finished building a homemade Compression tester that works great on the little 2 cycles enguines. I burn firewood and been cutting lots of widow makers around place. Lots of the Oaks been dying in this neck of the woods last 10 years.[;)]
    Almost forgot the old model Remington, (John Deere) with 16 inch bar.
    A 028 and a Homelite super EZ are 40+ years old and still running like the energizer bunny.
    Here is a link to a site that has good info about chainsaw problems, info, buy, sell, etc. Scroll down to see chainsaws.
    http://www.arboristsite.com/community/
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 electric one of which is a pole saw. 3 gas chain saws 40:1 mix 2 are not running so well. due to crappy gas I suspect...
    "What is truth?'
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One Stihl, one Husky. Both work and are awesome. Stihl has 18" bar, Husky has 20".
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one stihl and a john deer[rebranded echo]m plus 2 or 3 more that are just laying around and need a little tlc .Really do need to get the mini mac 14 up and running
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just one, on old XL-12 homelite with a 20" blade, still running strong after 40+ years, hate to think about having to buy a new one, I know I won't get the service/life out of any new one of any brand.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 john deere eflo. 36 and a 56
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4 or 5. A Homelite XL2 with a 12" bar and dual triggers I use more than anything. My grandmother bought it in the early 70s. That thing is a little beast.

A McCullough w/ a 14" bar my FIL gave me.

A 16" Poulan that runs great then doesn't.

A Li'l Beaver brand electric my FIL had when he died.

And a little 10" electric on a pole pruner.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two: A 16" and a 20".
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Five running Stihl 011 (plus at least the equivalent of 10 parts saws of this model).
    2 Mac 610"s (one of which I took out of the box 4-5 years ago after close to 20 years of storage).
    A Mac 10-10 with a 710 jug-hot rod all the way.
    Echo 346 plus another parts saw.
    3 Echo 4600(one in nearly new condition) plus 1 1/2 parts saws.
    2 Echo 5000(one in nearly new condition).
    A Homelite 360 that I haven't bothered to work on.
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Three: an old Homelite XL (With toggle runswitch), a less old XL, maybe 30 Years old, and a Harbor Freight electric I bought on Manager's Sale, for $30.00.

Also have a Polesaw attachment for a Ryobi motor unit.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wundedknee you are The Man! A Stihl and a cant hook, you are ready to get some firewood.

IMG_0449_zps72346df2.jpg

I bought this beauty several years ago, 16 inch bar, this is a beautiful little saw about 52 cc. Expensive.

When I am ready to get some firewood I get out the big Stihl 039 and the cant hook. This saw is 25 years old and runs like a champ and believe me it has had plenty of use.
    The big Stihl and the Monster Maul and I am ready to show an oak tree who the boss is.

1000x1000_zpsd9fa7021.jpg

This is the best maul ever made, company went broke in 1988, hard to find these any more.

• acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an electric pole saw from Harbor freight.
    I really have no use for a chain saw now.
    I gave away my old Stihl 08 when I converted my fireplace to a gas insert.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makes me sad to see that willow gone Wundudnee.

I would bet the average nationwide is about .08275
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    I would say that most average or below average people don't acquire chainsaws.
  • danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 a Husqvarna and a Stihl
  • KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One John Deere 200CS, 1999 model from when Homelite made them. Mine isn't quite as clean as this one:
    motosega-john-deere-200cs.jpg
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have just one.
    I use it 2-3 times a year at the most.
    Echo 12" bar. 20+ years old and runs like a top!
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I have a 029 farm bsos, and 032AV, and a newer 311.. The 30 year old 032 will out cut both of the other ones.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 4

1. Poulan 3400 with a Bow from around 1979 or 80(LA Made saw)

2. Stihl 034AV with a 20" bar from about the same time.(made in West Germany)

3. Stihl 029 Farmboss, 20" Bar from the late 90's

4. Stihl 170, 16" I got this one a few years ago to trim branches.

I have not used the Poulan in years but it fires right up same with old 034. I use the 029 to cut fire wood for my stove and the little 170 for trimming trees and when I have to climb up in a tree I use it.
    RLTW

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    Walking through my shop I counted 32 mostly Stihls. Just bout all of these I rebuilt/refurbished to like new from the ground up whatever they needed. I can bout work on them in my sleep. Here is a picture of my MS660, MS460, MS440, 036, 039, MS260, 026, 026. The last few years I have sold dozens on Ebay I rebuilt/refurbished and made good money better than gun sales I've had. It is just a side line hobby I have instead of watching TV much.

3x4LNhw.jpg
    Here is a picture of my MS660 I put crank bearing, oil seals, new piston, honed the cylinder, new carburetor, baked on new paint, full skip chain, some new plastic, pressure and vacuum tested and it has compression of 170 lbs. plus. It is a sawing beast as it has upwards of 8 hp with the dual port muffler and some of the other mods I did to it. You just about can't stall it in wood. I can saw more in 30 minutes with it than can with a 50cc saw all day.
    T7DLFCK.jpg

If you have an 038, let me know, I may be interested.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Three here....all Stihls
  • likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5 Stihls, but a few need some work. I really need to get some parts and get them running