In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How many martial arts weapons do..

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
edited June 2017 in General Discussion
..you own? Not replicas for display only,but those that could be put to use?
Are you proficient with them?

Comments

• kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guns are considered part of the western martial arts right?[:D]
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    If you're in ninja uniform,,
    edited November -1
    these are NUNchucks;

Nunchucks_fb_137865.jpg

these are nunchaku;

article-0-1749FE57000005DC-858_634x349.jpg
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    several nunchakus {took 2nd in state}

sai

tonfa

swords

staff full, 3/4, 1/2

3sectional staff

kama's

still waiting to meet bushmaster and see if i could learn something [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
    if you have trained in all that, I doubt I have anything to show you that you don't already know. [^]

never know, i learned one move at a time from tricks of others, when vhs came along i would watch movies in slow mo to pick up moves and integrated them into a kata

i would start out with 1 pair, and have another tucked under my gi, after a few minutes pull out the other pair during a behind the back hand off, was always a crowd pleaser, and blind folded during demonstrations
  • EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Staff.

I carry it in places that a pistol would send me to jail.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    I have a 6'6" St Croix fast action rod that will put a Mepps spinner in your eye at 30 yards.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I have a few Japanese swords that have most likely taken some heads.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 sets of Gil Hibben throwing knives.

On set is the small and medium combo sharing a single piece common leather sheath.

One set is the small and small combo sharing a single piece common leather sheath.

I have modern construction naginata with a wax wood staff and and a ladder pattern Damascus blade.

The the Gil Hibben knives are meant - designed for use following several traditional martial art forms / styles.

They are primarily designed as throwing knives but also serve well as small and well balanced close in defensive fighting knives.

I spent a lot of hours practicing and perfecting the throwing technique and skill - I used to wear them in tandem with my ccw snubbie revolver (horizontal carry - in line with the belt) and would keep them on in circumstances were a gun was prohibited.

When I was growing up in - working in the gunshop there was an employee who ran the lathes and the big star progressive commercial reloading machine...

He was of Japanese and Italian descent and of the Jewish faith.

He made up less than lethal copies of the knives out of hard rubber and would use them to teach me how to defend myself with them (against someone unarmed or carrying attacking with a knife or baseball bat).

I don't know if the techniques can be ascribed to a particular martial art form or style - but he always had me practicing certain repetitive simple movements - focused on 2 different ways to properly hold the knife - breathing exercises - 2 basic stances - basic simple footwork...

His philosophy centered around avoiding a fight and avoiding an attacker. His style focused on simple quick strikes (thrust or slash) to the torso.

We spent many an hour over the course of a decade practicing - what seemed then to me to be boring simple reptile exercises if holds and movements and stances and forms and basic footwork.

I find that all these years later the patterns and movements are still second nature to me - almost an autonomic muscle memory reaction.

I still spend one hour a week working through the basic movements - what Kevin referred to as the dance.

I find it relaxing - I still enjoy clearing my mind and finding my center.

I don't know it this fits within your parameters or meets your definition - qualifies with your OP line of inquiry.

The naginata belonged to Kevin - his wife gave it to me after he lost his battle with heart disease.

I have no formal training with it - it's designed and built as a real working tool and shows some wear from use and handling (I assume sparring or practice) he was a society member and did the whole Ren fair thing...

Excepting the ladder back Damascus pattern on the blade the naginata is a simple and unadorned piece - it does have a steel skull crusher end cap on the base of the staff - I don't know how common or authentic that is...

I have replaced the knives over the years - practice throwing eventually leads to wear and damage. I sharpen them and oil them and try to keep them well maintained but with enough use by a hobbiest or entry level self practitioner wear can and will occur.

Mike
  • M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    I have a brown belt in Fartrate![:D]

My skills really stink![:D]
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does a kukrhi count?
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does a monkey wrench from Sears count? [:D]
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I have a Jap Browning. Does that count?

Peace

Dan
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does a Pencil count :)
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Other than Jedi mind tricks, I got nothin', and about 99% of the time those don't work...
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    these are NUNchucks;

Nunchucks_fb_137865.jpg

these are nunchaku;

article-0-1749FE57000005DC-858_634x349.jpg

I had to zoom in on the NunChucks to get a good look. LOL! Awesome![:D]
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 trained hands....are any more really needed [?]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5, 2 hands, 2 feet, and my head.
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EhlerDave
    Staff.

I carry it in places that a pistol would send me to jail.

Gandalf?
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat
    I have a 6'6" St Croix fast action rod that will put a Mepps spinner in your eye at 30 yards.

Is that a preban rod !!!!!![;)]
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always called them NUMB chucks because after whacking yourself in the back of the head a few times your body starts to go numb [:D]

Still have a set of wooden numbchucks, haven't played with them in years but I could still hurt someone with them [:D]
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe as a collector got them all. However do not bring any to a gun fight is good advise...

Even if you are proficient with all.
    "What is truth?'
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I keep misreading this as MARITAL weapons.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    none...........
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took Japanese karate for 2 years. This was hard-core Jap stuff, we counted to ten on all the exercises in Japanese!
    Ich! Ni! San! Yo! etc.

We did very little sparring but lots of kata. I didn't like kata I wanted to spar. I wanted to practice street fighting.
    And we worked with weapons all the time.

We had the bo, or the long staff. We had the sai. We had nunchuks.
    One more, can't remember what it was.
    Most of the guys had bought all the weapons. Not me.
    I hated weapons work and tried to avoid it.
    One day I asked Sensei, "What is the deal with this little Okinawan rice hook, the sai? Am I supposed to carry it in my car and use it in a street fight?"

He said "No, Grasshopper. There is so much you do not understand."

I finally bailed out of that school because I just didn't want to work out with those damn weapons.
    It was the only karate school in my little town.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    these are nunchaku;no, those are what they sell at cheap strip mall "martial arts"/yoga stores.

these are nunchaku.

Xq38b2W.jpg

you can tell they weren't just sitting in a drawer.

you gotta quit dropping them in the gravel,you're rubbing the paint off,,,[:0][;)]
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I have an old railspike hammer handle with a tennis ball on one end, makes a decent 3' "support".
    I trained in a lot of the 'kans; Shotokan, Taekwondo, Hapkido and spent a year watching dirt being made into beautiful swords. Navy brats have lotsa time on their hands[:D]

Most "ninja" toys are for distraction or intimidation, Shuriken here are worthless; stab a steak with a fork, then a knife-which steak survived?
    edited November -1
    once you get a little proficient with the nunchucks, the only place you hit yourself is on the inside of the knee when passing thru the legs, or on the fingertips. when you drop them they fall straight down to the floor.

if you are hitting yourself on the head you really do not know what the hell you are doing.

next time you practice switching hands with 1 pair, try it in reverse [:D]
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Started karate in 1973. Have done a little kobudo (weapons) like the sai and bo and the nunchuku but not really all that much. Many years ago I had a pair of sai on the wall but not now.

Now the only things on display are the spear and ax with my chain mail.

standard.jpg
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck
    Always called them NUMB chucks because after whacking yourself in the back of the head a few times your body starts to go numb [:D]

Still have a set of wooden numbchucks, haven't played with them in years but I could still hurt someone with them [:D]

HA!! I always called 'em DUMB-chuks because you could knock yourself stoopid with those damn things, and do all sorts of other stoopid stuff! I got a quality set of 'dumb'-chuks once. They were heavy ones too. Within the first 20 seconds I'd smashed the lamp off the ceiling, busted a hole in the closet door and crushed my left testicle! About a millisecond later I walloped myself upside the head so hard I heard an echo, which prompted me to let go of them whereupon they ricocheted off the ceiling with a giant crash and then my head again!

I was so pissed I jumped up, picked 'em up and, without any of the Bruce Lee S#, swung them overhand as hard as I could into the floor trying to bust 'em. Nope! Ricocheted off the floor and smacked me right in the forehead!! "ARRRRRRGGGHHHHH...DAMMIT!!!"...as I fell backwards, clutching my face, through the closet door! All I heard (aside from the ringing in my ear) was mom screaming "WHAT THE...F#...IS GOING ON IN THERE??? JEEZ-US KRIST!!" When she flung the door open I tried to act composed and respond (all Bruce Lee/ninja like), but only managed some unintelligible squeaking and wheezing from the fetal position on the closet floor.

I dunno what those dumb-chuks things are for, but a fella can do one hell of a fine job kicking his own * with 'em, that's for sure!

Good thing you didn't practice with a Butterfly knife![;)][:D]
  • SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Just two little ninjas.[:D]

IMG_20170530_190929573_zps6srk4fj0.jpg

18893230_1933036900241217_786953335322663240_n_zpsyliz11xl.jpg
    edited November -1
    SG for the WIN,,[^][^][^][^][^][^][^]
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck

Still have a set of wooden numbchucks, haven't played with them in years but I could still hurt someone myself with them [:D]

There, I fixed it for you[:D]