In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

JEWELRY ? AND A STORY

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
Any body know anything about older jewelry? 30 years ago I bought a piece of property. 100 + years ago it had been a logging camp and saw mill. I started 'working' a piece of round for a garden and have been usin it ever since. this property has been more or less abandoned since about ww2, saw mill was gone before ww1. Any way, last week I was in the garden and noticed a shinney piece of metal. I picked it up and was supprised to find this ring. I assume it is a mans wedding band. any ideas as to how old or who made it??
RING_zps1v4opb2i.jpg

Comments

• Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks more like brass than gold? Is it gold?
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did your dog poop out the finger yet?
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag

If it were brass it would have turned green
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like its made from 10 karat gold.

The FA(?) may be a jeweler's mark, and a local jeweler may be able to confirm it. Seems a little ornate for a man's wedding band, and with the crosses may be something to do with the church.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1

marked 10k brass
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1

Looks stamped 10K
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe 1880 to early 1900 era based on your information and this info found at the following link:

The official "engagement ring" did not arrive on the scene until the late 1800s - and it was the discovery of the South African diamond mines combined with a huge influx of newly mined gold which led to the availability of gold and diamond engagement rings. Since that time, the betrothal ring became the engagement ring and the keeper ring became the wedding band.

Men's wedding bands did not become a regular tradition until around World War II - but in some cultures men wear plain bands on their ring finger when they became engaged. The tradition of men's engagement rings has made rare appearances throughout time, but recently is becoming increasingly popular.

The
    History of Wedding
    Rings

http://www.everything-wedding-rings.com/history-of-wedding-rings.html
    What's next?
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a Catholic rosary ring to me. I've seen several of them that looks similar to it, they are more commonly called a finger rosary
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No to hijack your thread - on a tangentially related side track...

Makenzie is going to live on campus at Penn state over the summer - in the dorms...

She is taking 3 full credit courses and working for a catering - hosting company owned by the University that uses school owned properties to host weddings and conferences and conventions...

Her scholership - grant funding dictates that she take certain eccentric elective courses of instruction...

She is taking introductory course in archeology field work - forensics field work - and law enforcement administration records keeping...

So I have given her free access to and use of my white metal detector and both of my field tool buckets (buckets with "bucket boss" cargo pocket carriers) and she has purchased her own smaller / lighter / more portable metal detector...

She seems to enjoy the quiet solitary nature of grid searches and finding lost items...

Your ring is a great example of a superb field find.

Intersting object worthy of some research - a nice prize.

Mike
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man's Celtic wedding ring, I would say Irish Catholic by the cross design.
  • wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can try this site when you get some free time. The closest I came in the US was Fisher Alexander but the marks don't match and the names were reversed, Alexander Fisher.

http://www.langantiques.com/university/index.php?title=Category:Jewelry_Maker's_Marks&filefrom=CARTIER1.svg#mw-category-media
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    after some light cleaning and under magnification the last letter looks more like a stylized 'G', nothing in the references posted looks like this. local jeweler wasn't much help. a metal detector wouldn't work, I'd be digging every 6". I haven't dug a hole with out turning up some kind of metal (horse shoe nails, broken horse shoes, rail road spikes, old files, worn out axe heads, ect.).
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Newer decent metal detectors have ferrous metal discrimination that you can adjust up and down. My yard is the same way, and I can set it to ignore every piece of steel and iron, if I choose. You would be surprised how well new detectors work.

Merc

quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    after some light cleaning and under magnification the last letter looks more like a stylized 'G', nothing in the references posted looks like this. local jeweler wasn't much help. a metal detector wouldn't work, I'd be digging every 6". I haven't dug a hole with out turning up some kind of metal (horse shoe nails, broken horse shoes, rail road spikes, old files, worn out axe heads, ect.).
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "If the "A" is set at an angle, it is more likely not an A after all, but a G. Fredrick Goldman is a ring manufacturer that uses the "FG" jewelers mark. The F is vertical and the G is slanted or stylized."

Bingo, I think we have a winner...........now some more 'digging'
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan

marked 10k brass

This one is marked 18K gold but it's brass. There's fake everything out there.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/262425590817

s-l400_2.jpg

s-l400_3.jpg