In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Catahoula

MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
edited April 2012 in General Discussion
Just got a pup.

Who has 'em?

Comments

• Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had one about 12 yrs ago, great dogs, if I ever get a house I would love to have another one, or a Great Pyrenees.
  • AzhunterAzhunter Member Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They make pills for that ailment.......[}:)][}:)]

Need pics!!!!
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Azhunter
    They make pills for that ailment.......[}:)][}:)]

Need pics!!!!

Their colors/color patterns are varied.

Ours is black/gray w/ some tan, very little white.

I have managed to get one pic on here many moons ago.

Perhaps some other day when I get one a them round tuits!
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Catahoula Leopards are pretty dogs. We recently helped save one from being euthanized at a kill shelter. Beautiful lil puppy, a shame they were going to kill her.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would a person subject a working dog to a life as a house prisoner just because the animal is "pretty"?
    The original use for these dogs included running down and holding half wild(usually more than 1/2) cattle and hogs for capture. They have/had a general reputation as being too hard on livestock for most operations(at least in the midwest).
    I really wouldn't want or even consider this breed for a pet acknowledging their extreme past history.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Border Collies are even better workers than the Catahoula's are. My BC would tell you being a loved, pampered "house prisoner" suits her to an absolute T, as she is snoring at my feet.

She would also tell you that chasing a tennis ball or frisbie beats the poop out of having the crap kicked out of you by a wild bovine!
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First I'll point out that Border Collies were originally SHEEP DOGS that work by presence and demeanor. Catahoula dogs are/were very aggressive and work by physical attack on the pursued animal. Obviously, you've not seen cattle with noses ripped and bleeding or partially torn off after the animal has been subdued by a REAL Catahoula.
  • bamafanbamafan Member Posts: 4,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's Zeake. Awesome dog--smart---you couldn't tell him he wasn't a human---he didn't know any better. Very energetic--loved a tennis ball & a rope. Loyal to the end though. Lost him January 2012 after 12 years of companionship.

IMG_1217.jpg
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    I Hate Being A prisoner can't You Tell
    Aussie's Rule !![:D]
    At least Here they Do!!!!!!!!!
    SDC11698-1.jpg
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back when I had 450 head of ewes I can tell you that often I had to sew up a ewe that wouldn't do what my BC wanted her to do. Never had to sew up the same ewe twice![:D]

Been close to 30 years since I had sheep. Never could figure out how to make money with sheep. Any of you fare any better than I did?