In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Auction pictures pet-peeve.....

Old.22BoltsOld.22Bolts Member Posts: 6,032
edited February 2014 in General Discussion
Is it too dificult to get the entire
gun in at least one picture......[V]

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=390571122

(and don't get me started on reserve auctions).....[:(!][V]

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,997 ******
    edited November -1
    is that your bid ??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    is that your bid ??

No sir, I'm broke......[B)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    Marc,,,,if using anything close to a 'normal' lens you would have to be too far away to be able to distinguish a useful critique of the weapon. The thumbnail pix illustrate this.

You can go to wide angle lenses but then you have 'distortion' of straight lines. My 24mm lens can capture an entire 'short' weapon with slight distortion but close examination reveals a minute amt. of curvature,,,,,not good in an auction. Thus, taking pix of 'sections' of the weapon is the easiest solution and gives close ups for the buyer,,,,,,,

Thank you sir for your simplistic, thorough, informative,
    detailed, and accurate explanation......

But I still don't like it.....[:D][}:)][:p]
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,941 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marc,,,,if using anything close to a 'normal' lens you would have to be too far away to be able to distinguish a useful critique of the weapon. The thumbnail pix illustrate this.

You can go to wide angle lenses but then you have 'distortion' of straight lines. My 24mm lens can capture an entire 'short' weapon with slight distortion but close examination reveals a minute amt. of curvature,,,,,not good in an auction. Thus, taking pix of 'sections' of the weapon is the easiest solution and gives close ups and better depth of field for the buyer,,,,,,,

Please don't get tecnetil techtaectal just don't do that!
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A pure white background, and a darkly-colored gun, makes for possibly my biggest pet peeve with sellers on the auction side, especially when it's a gun I'm interested in, and very much so when the seller flatly refuses to add either 1: more pictures, or 2: better pictures.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,941 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35WhelenClassic

A pure white background, and a darkly-colored gun, makes for possibly my biggest pet peeve with sellers on the auction side, especially when it's a gun I'm interested in, and very much so when the seller flatly refuses to add either 1: more pictures, or 2: better pictures.

Interesting,,,,,enlighten me as to your dislike for a white background with a dark weapon,,,,,,,presuming the pix is in focus with details distinguishable... Inquiring mind wants to know.

I believe he is racist. Don
  • Options
    MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Y'all Georgia boys don't cut us ol' cowboys any slack !!!!![:D][;)]

If we did you'd get the upper hand, quickly......[B)][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1

Interesting,,,,,enlighten me as to your dislike for a white background with a dark weapon,,,,,,,presuming the pix is in focus with details distinguishable... Inquiring mind wants to know.

Here ya go.......[V]

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=390780527
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    It is hard to get entire long gun to fit in a picture and still give detail . Forgemonkey did a good job on that tomato stake. also look at Locust Fork Does a great job on all her auctions Some auctions look like the were taken in a coal mine [V]You need either daylight or a Photo Lab set up to get great pictures.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Not even one full picture of the gun is a problem for me. Has stopped me from bidding before.

Another is a white background. The high contrast darkens the gun until detail is lost. A mistake few learn. If the gun is a dark mass with little detail, I don't bid.

If you are selling a stainless steel gun, a white background is fine. The camera exposure is close together for the gun and what's around it.

If you are selling a blued or black gun, use a background of similar "brightness". Your camera will get a better exposure, bring out much more detail.

If you take your photography edumacation further you can learn to get great detail on guns that seem to float in a white nothingness. Not mandatory at all, has a very professional look to it though.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

This is a good example. Might be simply low light, though, but if it's like my last Classic, the stock is fairly-dark walnut.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=389396205

On top of that, the listing has changed. In the listing for the ad, it's called a .350 Rem. Mag, then in the characteristics section, it's called a .35 Whelen, then, in the description, it's back to .35 Whelen.[?][?]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    When I sell a gun, I always get a FL view, but that is only for the sake of being complete; you can't really see anything. That's usually the first pic, then follow ups showing every inch including markings from buttplate to muzzle on all sides. Usually about 30 pictures. I've never been disappointed with what a gun sells for; at least what I paid for it, often much more.

MY pet peeve is poor quality pictures, or pictures with poor lighting. I have 2 cameras, one a cheapo Fuji Finepix 3.2 megapixel from 2003, one a Canon powershot from 2 years ago, 10.1 megapixels. Know what? In outdoor lighting, both of them on the macro setting take crisp, perfect pictures of the gun. So it isn't the equipment (unless you're using a 10 dollar camera), it's the idiot behind the camera.