In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

asked to do a sad thing

shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in General Discussion
My Dad is in his 80's and recently had back surgery, specifically his spine. This surgery did not go well and my dad has been in horrendous pain for a week now,. My sister texted yesterday letting me know that when I visit next week end that my mom wants me to take the two guns he has home with me. She's afraid he may do something impulsive because of the pain.

My dad is not a "gun" guy. He bought an 870 a few years ago, because he figured he couldn't physically defend my mom anymore. It is the first gun he has ever owned. Anyways a couple years ago I gave him a model 65, took him to the range and got him feeling comfortable with it, he has Hornady Critical Defense .38 loads for it, he didn't really like the .357s. Anyways he's not attached to his two guns like I or many of you are attached to your guns. But I still feel sad that he is aging to a state that activities need to be taken away from him. He has already recognized on his own that he can't drive at night anymore, and assuming he survives this current medical problem he probably won't be driving period much longer.

Comments

• shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My folks are devout Catholics, in his right mind he would never intentional kill himself as that is a mortal sin. However he is apparently on heavy narcotics due to the pain so he is not necessarily in his right mind at all times. Fortunately both my sisters(RN and NP) are nurses, as was my mom so they are their pretty much around the clock taking care of him.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I hope it goes better for your dad.
    What are the long term prospects?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside

Don't know, he has spinal stenosis, and this is the second surgery to open up the spinal canal. His pain right now is worse than it was pre-surgery, it effects his ability to walk has he has severe pain in one of his legs. He's pretty much in constant agony right now, the narcotics aren't even touching the pain, and he can't tolerate opiate based pain meds or oxycontin.

He is a retired physician who spent his adult life helping to fix others, and it is tough to see him not getting relief.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside

thanks!
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers for your dad
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ain't nothing good about this part of life. Your family is in our prayers.
  • BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are right, sad all the way around. Hang in there and do what you need to in order to keep the girls from worrying about the guns. You can always take them back if he wants/ is able to go to the range.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That sucks and wish the best for your dad and please take them home and you can always take them back later
    edited November -1
    Thanks folks....I read the posts announcing the death of one's parents and I know that someday, too soon I will the one making that post...
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i had just the opposite to deal with, when i visited my dad alert and alive for the last time, he was on a pain pump and we where waiting on a diagnosis if he had cancer he asked me to give him a gun to stop the pain

wrap your brain around that for a minute

a few days later he was put in a drug induced coma, died a few weeks later after they diagnosed it as a staph infection that had already ate his organs, in 1999 not much staph infection going around

wishing the best for the both of you
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best wishes and prayers for your Dad
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At this point, he probably needs a medical-alert fob more than he needs a gun.

Neal
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give him a dime bag and a pack of zig zags for the guns.
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers from here for your whole family. Hope he can get some relief from the pain.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    Prayer for all,,
  • mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shilowar, I'm very sorry to hear of the pain your father is in. It sounds terrible.

I may differ from all else on here, and I am not speaking from a lack of sympathy, and in fact quite the opposite: I think your father should have the right and means to end his life should he so choose.

One's life is the most fundamental, most personal belonging a person has. I've seen many a person linger in terrible pain, in the terrifying fog of dementia, in the dignity-robbing horror of nursing homes. None of them has seemed happy or enjoying life. Almost all of them have seemed quite miserable.

As a society we have fully accepted and embraced the idea that every other animal on Earth should be put down if it is miserable and suffering. Every other animal, be it a horse, an ape, a dog, a bird--if it is hurting and there will not be an end to its suffering, we put it down. We fully accept that there are times and situations where hastening death is a good thing. In extraordinary situations, this has been done in times of war for human beings.

And yet, we offer no such comfort to regular folks who have come close to the end of a long life and who are in terrible pain. And what is worse, even beyond denying them the assistance of another to quickly and peacefully end their lives, we deny them the means to even do it themselves. That, in my opinion, is horrifying.

If your father is in terrible pain, if he is not going to get better, if he's in his 80's and has lived a good life, perhaps he should be allowed to have the means of ending his life close at hand. I know if I was in his situation, I would want that.

And by the way, that stuff about suicide being a mortal sin, is to me just a bit more horse puckey from the Catholic Church. The Bible is a book, and it we read it the way we read all other books, we read it to get the central message, the most important ideas, the main point. To my reading of it, the main idea is to be kind to others, to help other people, to worship God, and to be a good person. I think I got the main idea, and I can't imagine a just and loving God looking upon an old man in terrible pain and condemning him to hell for choosing to end his life.

Again, I'm very sorry to hear of your troubles. Your father will be in my thoughts. I offer these ideas not out of callousness, but out of mercy.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Sorry about your dad and the pain. A few years ago a DR next door had emphysema and had a Colt commander 9mm. Only shot it once, under chin [xx(] Get those away from him, please.
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Prayers that your Dad's pain subsides.[:(]
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    My folks are devout Catholics, in his right mind he would never intentional kill himself as that is a mortal sin. However he is apparently on heavy narcotics due to the pain so he is not necessarily in his right mind at all times. Fortunately both my sisters(RN and NP) are nurses, as was my mom so they are their pretty much around the clock taking care of him.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the Pope, and the church have changed their stance on suicide. They accepted that anyone committing suicide is not in a mental state to realize exactly what they are doing. Maybe I'm wrong, and besides, it isn't something you want for your Dad anyway. I hope and pray for you and yours.
  • NM JOENM JOE Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel for your Dad and also the family.I am not close to his age but am in in pain every day.I had a Dr appointment last week they just increase the pain medication. They say the damage that was done from the chemo will not get better but worse.At times I feel my time here on this earth is a waste.Sometime I just want to scream I hurt so bad. Being barley walk with out it feeling like the bones are broken in my legs and feet.No matter how bad I hurt or depressed I become and want to leave this world.It is not my decision to take that matter into my hands.The one that granted me the time here is the one who will say it is time to go.I cheated death a few times and was brought back to life again.There must be a reason why I am here.Stay by your Dad no matter bad it gets.At times you might think he does not even know you are there but he does.Hold his hand,talk to him,it will help him till the end.Prayers to all
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Such a sad story. God's will be done and bless your family.

Clouder..
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    Prayers for your dad, Shiloh.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayer for your Dad.
    What's next?
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with mlincoln. If he decides to end his own life he should be able to do so.
  • BLKSRT8BLKSRT8 Member Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln
    shilowar, I'm very sorry to hear of the pain your father is in. It sounds terrible.

I may differ from all else on here, and I am not speaking from a lack of sympathy, and in fact quite the opposite: I think your father should have the right and means to end his life should he so choose.

One's life is the most fundamental, most personal belonging a person has. I've seen many a person linger in terrible pain, in the terrifying fog of dementia, in the dignity-robbing horror of nursing homes. None of them has seemed happy or enjoying life. Almost all of them have seemed quite miserable.

As a society we have fully accepted and embraced the idea that every other animal on Earth should be put down if it is miserable and suffering. Every other animal, be it a horse, an ape, a dog, a bird--if it is hurting and there will not be an end to its suffering, we put it down. We fully accept that there are times and situations where hastening death is a good thing. In extraordinary situations, this has been done in times of war for human beings.

And yet, we offer no such comfort to regular folks who have come close to the end of a long life and who are in terrible pain. And what is worse, even beyond denying them the assistance of another to quickly and peacefully end their lives, we deny them the means to even do it themselves. That, in my opinion, is horrifying.

If your father is in terrible pain, if he is not going to get better, if he's in his 80's and has lived a good life, perhaps he should be allowed to have the means of ending his life close at hand. I know if I was in his situation, I would want that.

And by the way, that stuff about suicide being a mortal sin, is to me just a bit more horse puckey from the Catholic Church. The Bible is a book, and it we read it the way we read all other books, we read it to get the central message, the most important ideas, the main point. To my reading of it, the main idea is to be kind to others, to help other people, to worship God, and to be a good person. I think I got the main idea, and I can't imagine a just and loving God looking upon an old man in terrible pain and condemning him to hell for choosing to end his life.

Again, I'm very sorry to hear of your troubles. Your father will be in my thoughts. I offer these ideas not out of callousness, but out of mercy.

You have to think of the people you are effecting by doing that. I am sure loved ones feel the effects from people who take that road for a lifetime. I hope your father gets better.

MIKE
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shilo- my prayers for you and your Dad.

There are things they never told us about getting old. Last month I had to sit my wife down, and explain that she could not safely drive a car any more, and she needed to trade her driver's license for an ID card. CNS disease has made her old before her time. Loss of independence when you can't drive any more is severe- especially living in the country.

Your dad is going thru different, but similar changes in his life. I hope things go well for all of you.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    I agree with mlincoln. If he decides to end his own life he should be able to do so.
    +1 As my father-in-law who was in a lot of pain before his death would say, there is worse things than death.

If it occurred in a vacuum then I would agree, I am all about self determination. However my mother is the one that will experience it, she'd be the one to find him with horror of a gunshot wound and live with it the rest of her remaining life. My parents believe suicide is mortal sin, and his mind is clouded with narcotics. If she wants the guns out of the house then that's what is going to happen. If he chooses to end his life he can put too many Fentanyl patches on.

He received a cortisone shot the other day that seems to have taken an edge off the inflammation and pain so he is in a better state then he was. What the long term prognosis is has yet to be determined.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by partisan
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the Pope, and the church have changed their stance on suicide. They accepted that anyone committing suicide is not in a mental state to realize exactly what they are doing. Maybe I'm wrong, and besides, it isn't something you want for your Dad anyway. I hope and pray for you and yours.

Yes there is a qualification or acknowledgement that has occurred over time with regard to suicide.
  • 1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best wishes to you and your family shilowar.
    All too soon I shall be following in your footsteps. I already have all Dad's guns, minus one .22 rifle. . .
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sad story prayers said for all involved from S.E. WI.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers for your Dad shilowar...
  • mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shilowar, I'm not going to respond anymore to your thread, and I'm sorry I posted what I did. Looking back, I realize this is not the place for a discussion of the ethics of suicide.

I hope your father gets better and that his pain goes away. Take care.