In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reality setting in

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
I agreed to run for this guy and run watermelons out of Florida for a spell to make some quick cash. Delivered in Manassas, VA yesterday and today am picking up the first load to Florida to get me into the watermelon area.

I haven't been in Florida in maybe 15 years and swore I would never go back, not even to visit. The money offered is too good to pass up so here I go, then I see where I'm going. Absolute hell in a truck, taking a truck to this part of the world is worse than NYC, what have I done [:(][:(]

934707B4-AA69-4035-B744-DA44C94E90A3_zps8uxwwsic.png

Comments

• remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YES.... What's wrong with you...
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're a professional. Suck it up and perform. Be glad it's not Falujah or Baghdad. The only ambush you'll face is a deputy with a radar gun.

That may sound brash and rude, but it's the truth, my friend. And you know it's said with the best intentions.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    You're a professional. Suck it up and perform. Be glad it's not Falujah or Baghdad. The only ambush you'll face is a deputy with a radar gun.

That may sound brash and rude, but it's the truth, my friend. And you know it's said with the best intentions.

I've driven a truck through Baghdad and Falluja, safer than I-95 in Florida!!!!
    edited November -1
    Crisp salute as always, my brother. In that case, at least the food is better in Florida.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know Florida is practically the capital of pimp rides, but, really, their not going to laugh at your Volvo that hard. Well.......maybe not, anyway. Turn the radio up and you may not even notice.
    edited November -1
    Maybe better than chow hall food prepped by Pakistanis attempting to make American food but in the rest of the Middle East I beg to differ on food quality!

Did I ever mention how much I miss the Middle East and the first job opprotunity that pops up that pays well and I'm boarding an airplane yesterday!! [:D]
    edited November -1
    I was thinking more of the awful MREs of the 90s. But since you've "one-upped" me on every count so far, I'm jist gonna shet up!

Report back soon, willya?
    edited November -1
    I was thinking more of the awful MREs of the 90s. But since you've "one-upped" me on every count so far, I'm jist gonna shet up!

Report back soon, willya?

[:D][:D]
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I curious about why you didn't research where you were going before you took the job?

DSC_1905.JPG
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Hit the Jake Brake when you go thru Jupiter !!!![8D]
  • JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to live just SW of Royal Palm Beach,...been years though.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Oh man, you aren't going through Port St. Lucie are you? The horror.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Hit the Jake Brake when you go thru Jupiter !!!![8D]

We going to Hooters???
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    If you continue to make regular melon runs I'll be living in the Kissimmee area in about a month. I'd like to see you.
  • tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last time I was in FL two different drivers got a ticket apiece.
    FL highway patrol likes to see out of state speeders. Tom
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Virginia- Petersburg- 5-30-17, 1600 hrs I-95 is closed due to a collision between a car and a semi. Semi had a load of watermelons.

Big Sky? Hello?
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why aren't you running watermelon a little closer to home? Like say Hermiston, OR where there's tons of watermelon ..,my brother in law runs weekly from Hermiston(and sometimes right out of Yakima) down to Nogales, picks up a load there and comes back..stays the hell away from the East coast.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    If you continue to make regular melon runs I'll be living in the Kissimmee area in about a month. I'd like to see you.

Melons will run till about mid Sept with these rates, I'm going to keep going till I have a stroke. Gawd I hate this traffic over here!!
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loves watermelons...[:p]
    "What is truth?'
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    Why aren't you running watermelon a little closer to home? Like say Hermiston, OR where there's tons of watermelon ..,my brother in law runs weekly from Hermiston(and sometimes right out of Yakima) down to Nogales, picks up a load there and comes back..stays the hell away from the East coast.

They are paying more over here, I came out of Idaho for right at $2.00 per mile but over here the melons will pay closer to $3.00 per mile and the fuel is cheaper.

Also OR has a stupid tax system that charges rediculous amounts of $$ to run there, since I now pay my own IFTA and have my own permits I cannot go into OR unless I agree to around $1.00 per mile to drive there.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BSR was the book helpful in figuring out the tire issue?
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You moving out of Cali?
  • mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck

I've driven a truck through Baghdad and Falluja, safer than I-95 in Florida!!!!

Now that's funny!
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    I'm having a bit of deja vue going and seeing Charles Bronson in "Mr. Majestic" [:0]

Hope everything works out big in your favor BSR!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Truck stop seafood is going to be better than in Montana.[:p] Make lemonade.
  • milesmiles Member Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back when I was still trucking we hauled load after load of "Air Freight" from Seattle airport to Miami International Airport where the freight was then flown south.

The dirty little secret was, the only air the freight was exposed too between the airports was hauling * down the interstate but the customer paid air freight rates.

It was understood that due to the volume of freight going into Fla. and the limited freight coming out of Florida that when we unloaded in Miami, we were to just hammer down north and call dispatch from Valdosta Ga. Often as not, we deadheaded back to North Ga. for a load going back out West.

Reefer freight is about all that comes out of Fla. and that's seasonal.
    Damn freight brokers will send you down for a load of melons but when you get there, the melons are still in the field and trucks are lined up waiting for hours & hours with the reefer running waiting to load.

If and when there was a dry van or flatbed load coming out of Fla, it paid almost nothing because the freight brokers knew that there would always be some poor trucker that would haul a load for almost nothing to just help pay for his fuel to get out of "The Sunshine State".

By and large with few exceptions, Freight Brokers are blood sucking vampires and I wish a pox on all their houses.

I kind of got carried away in my comments but unless things have changed, Fla. is not trucker friendly with the speed cops, toll roads and cheap freight.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    You moving out of Cali?
    Don't you keep track of your paid staffers?
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    You moving out of Cali?
    Don't you keep track of your paid staffers?

I've been a little busy, my baby graduated from HS last week...
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rt 95 is the Autobahn compared to Rt 4 near Orlando.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.