In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The Great American Race

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
In regards to Varians thread on Indy. I've never heard of it referred to the The Great American Race. Now I have heard the Daytona 500 referred to it in that term. Kinda hard to be American when half the drivers are from all over the world. NASCAR on the other hand is a whole different story.

Comments

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well with all but 3 of the fastest 15 cars powered by Honda (including the winner), chassis are English, and drivers from all over the world, I guess the American part in the name Great American Race is that the track is in America.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    And here I thought America was known as The Melting Pot.[?]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    didnt you see a couple of those hondas melt.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When Ken Squire used to call the Daytona 500 that is how he referred to it. Not sure when he stopped doing the race broadcasts.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    When Ken Squire used to call the Daytona 500 that is how he referred to it. Not sure when he stopped doing the race broadcasts.
    about 20 years ago
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Come down next year.
    I'll put you up at my house.

We will make Jeff go with us.

Then you can tell me it isn't the Great American Race.
    [:D]

It makes the World Cup look like an intramural kick ball game.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started going to the 500 in 1954. My grandparents lived on E. Washington & Rural. I went every year, flying from scenic Peoria, IL on a DC3 tail dragger until I was old enough to drive in '56. Except for my time in the service I went to the race or first weekend of time trials until about 1975. I saw the Offy's both upright and canted, Novi's, turbines, Mickey's cars with their 13" Sears tires, etc. I had garage passes back in '66 and took my new bride to the track for her first time (she was from D.C.). The guards wouldn't let her in the garage area because she was a woman! Think that would go over now days? The problem I have now is that the cars are so similar (like NASCAR). There is no more innovation because the cost to be competitive is so high the little guy can't try plus the rules are so narrow. I remember Smokey's 15/16 scale model of a Chevy! All that is gone now in both series and I miss it.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.