In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Child Leash

Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
This is really disturbing. Locally I've seen school children all tied to one long leash. Now I guess they sell individual leashes. I guess now you can tie your child up in the back yard with the dog so they both can play and be "safe". [xx(]

Put your child on a leash and you'll immediately get dirty looks and comments from sancti-parents. But one dad is done with the criticism. He'll take all your judgey comments because he knows he's keeping his kid safe.

Clint Edwards, the dad of three behind "No Idea What I'm Doing: A Daddy Blog," recently posted a Facebook photo of his daughter, Aspen, with a backpack leash at the farmer's market. Edwards says he had no shame doing so, as his kid can be a "wild child."

"This thing has already kept her out of the road and from sticking her hand in an ice cream machine, along with keeping me sane," Edwards writes. "The real difficulty with having a wild child is that you are damned if you do, and damned if you don?t."

Those against child leashes point to "lazy parenting" or call it "inhumane." If only the parents parented better, then the kids wouldn't run away, right?

But for many parents who decide to use a child leash, leashes or reins are a necessity.

"The fact is, if I didn?t put Aspen on a leash while at amusement parks, the zoo, a crowded mall, or the farmers market, she?d be the lost child announced over the intercom. She?d be the kid popping up in every Facebook feed for wandering into a shopping center parking lot, unattended. She could be the child climbing into the tiger cage. Because I can't, for the life of me, keep her from moving. Her curiosity is incredible, and for only having a 12 inch stride, she moves faster than any Olympian," Edwards shares.

His post quickly filled with comments from other parents about their own decisions to use a leash?maybe a mom is with multiple kids in a crowded space, or a dad has a toddler who tends to bolt fearlessly into dangerous situations.

"I thought we had outgrown the leash. Then a couple weeks ago my daughter literally tried to jump in the damn river. No fear. Not a single f--- given. I literally caught this child as she was about to jump and she was just angry with me that I stopped her," writes one mom.

"The one time my oldest wasn't on a leash he ran out of a grocery store with a car approaching in each direction. He wasn't hurt, but I cried and cried for a while after that happened. I once had a stranger come up to me (a different time) and tell me it's not really a leash. It's a love line. You love that child on the other end, so why wouldn't you keep him/her safe?" reasons another.

Of course, there were critics who claim having a "wild child" is an "ignorant excuse" for bad parenting.

"Putting your child on a leash says a lot about your knowledge of parenting, discipline and unrealistic value of safety parameters and you should be judged," says one commenter.

"Never would I put my child on a freaking leash. Don't try to change your child, change your parenting skills! If you cant control your child at all times, then (you're) not the parent you need to be," a dad critiques.

Edwards had a response ready for these types of comments: "To you I say this, 'I'm keep this kid safe while maintaining my (peace) of mind, and that is 100 percent worth it.' Because the reality is she'll calm down. She'll figure it out, because all kids do. But until that day comes, I'm going to do whatever I can to keep her out of danger, even if it means a leash."

For parents considering using a child leash, experts say it's a parenting tool that isn't inherently good or bad.

"What matters is how it?s used: how it?s presented to the child, how and when the parent uses it, what the child?s temperament is, and why the parent is using it," writes Dr. Tina Payne Bryson.

Bryson warns using restraining devices can come from misdirected motivations. Is there a realistic danger or is the parent really motivated by unexamined anxiety? Plus, tethering a child can get in the way of skill-building and remove opportunities for kids to make good decisions and responsibility, she says. Is the decision about basic safety or about emphasizing control over the relationship?

If you do decide to go for it, don't apologize. Actually, why not give yourself a pay on the back instead? Because somehow, you kept that kid alive for another day.

LINK
http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/whats-hot/dad-shuts-down-child-leash-haters/ar-BBBJlp0?li=BBnb7Kz

Comments

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    Aspen needs her little be-hind paddled.
    I got my butt paddled plenty for running off.
    Look how I turned out.
    (On second thought, maybe not)
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Not sure on the leash but seen a few that needs a shock collar and give me the button.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    Not sure on the leash but seen a few that needs a shock collar and give me the button.

The parents or the children???
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway

The parents or the children???

Yes. [:D]
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With Kids were younger my Wife and I used a leash when we went places. It is called holding their hands instead of texting on the phone
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My oldest was a "runner", a ball of never ending curiosity and energy.....she had LOTS of spankings....it didn't really make a difference and there were several times that were terrifying. Looking for her in JC Penny was the deal breaker. I got a leash.

I didn't have to use it much, but I found it pretty handy when I needed to write a check or if we had to do things that involved standing in a line. Lines were the worst. Trying to get into the zoo....waiting for our turn on a fair ride....wherever there were lots of distractions and a long wait it was sure to be a tiring event. I mean....you are there to have "FUN" and you find yourself having to spank your kid that you brought to a thing that was specifically for them. Its just a raw deal for everyone, me, her, the other people who are there to witness the whole event play out. A leash is the way to go if you have a young person that is like my oldest was.

I didn't ever have these issues with my younger two.....just her. She was a little fireball.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A local Paper once did a comic of my Mom with a leash on me and my three Brothers. We were in a Store and we all had the reins pulled tight with our hands just about to grab something.

The caption was, "Well, do I get some service, or do I cut them loose."

I don't remember ever being on one, so I guess that the Paper was trying to make a point that we needed to be on leashes! [:D]
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remembered those things back in the '80s at the mall. A "parent" would tie a harness around their "runner" and slap a leash 8' - 10' length. Then the "runner" would take off and at the end of it's tether the "runner" would drop on their *. Never did see a "parent" yank on the lead like they do to their dogs. till funny though.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my oldest needed a leash, we where only a ride to the place he could escape and explore, the punishments never did matter to him , you cannot retrieve your wallet and pay for something with one hand, he was an artist at escaping, i would defy anyone that would claim different
  • Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was the "Hellion Child" when I was little. I still remember the day, must've been 45 years ago or so, when my Mom pointed out a kid on a leash at the mall. She told me that if I didn't watch my behavior, she would put ME on a leash.

She threatened to do it quite a few times , but never went through with it.

No, my behavior did NOT improve................[:D]

(Mom was pretty strict, but just didn't have the heart to leash me)
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when I was maybe ten or around 1967 , I had a aunt ( RIP ) who lived in California who sent my mom a leash after a visit with us for my younger brother
    I remember I seen my mom so upset she could have bit a nail in half
    for her sister to suggest using it ..
    I would bet my aunt used the leash(s) on her kids , I only seen her a few times in my life when she would visit every 10 years or so
    maybe a good thing [:D]
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think kids now a days need a switch from a good old willow tree more than a leash, but then again that's against the law now. No wonder so many kids are out of control, there's no punishment for them today.
    Oh yes I almost forgot they just need some counseling @ $100s/hr.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    My upbringing didn't have any leashes involved.

Just a leather belt that did all the talking when I screwed up!

Seeing little kids on leashes in this day and age doesn't really strike me as negative.

I remember seeing a neighbor who used to leash his cat,

Now that really cracked me up.[:D]
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i promise you there was no rod spared on my oldest, just not in public

i agree on lack of discipline in many kids today, but it is not 100% effective on some children
  • Rocky4windsRocky4winds Member Posts: 760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read a story about a settler woman here in South Dakota 100+ years ago who would tether her toddler to a stake in front of the dugout. All it takes is 10 minutes for a toddler to go over a rise and for momma to panic. If you've ever seen the plains at eye-level you would understand.

I find it funny when some condemn others for parenting different than they do- the "Well I would never.." expert. Being a parent is tough no matter what your kids are like. Some kids are easy to raise and some take everything you've got, physically and emotionally, to deal with. Ideally we would be supporting and helping each other not running each other down. When I see a child on a leash I thank God that it isn't my child, and say a prayer for that parent to be able to deal with him.

I used a leash on one child when she was little, until she could understand consequences. Spanking doesn't do much good unless they know and understand why they are being spanked, and many 18 month-olds aren't capable of that. When I tried to spank my oldest son, he just looked at me like "what was that?" We had to find other ways to discipline him because I wasn't going to beat him senseless.
  • joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    I was on a leash several times when I was little. I was one hyper, scatter brained( ohh squirrel) type kid. Outside i was like most dogs. If 100% of your attention was on me or we were walking I was fine. Right there with my parents. But if we stopped. Or they get to doing something, I would just wander away. I wasn't trying to escape. Just exploring.

I think the instance that broke me ofbthis was when I was 4 or 5. It was at the harwinton fair in CT and we were walking around holding my parents hand. I let go for some reason and started doing something or another and when I looked up my parents were gone. If I remember right I wandered around for a bit looking for them when my dad walked up and picked me up. They had been watching me and when he figured I'd learned my lesson he ended it.

Inthis day and age. If I had youngens to watch over in a crowded place like a fair or such. I would probably have a harness and leash for them. Watching one at a time is easy (ish). Get more then that and at times your attention is devided and it only takes a second.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when our identical triplet grangirls were small and the annual spring fling carnival came to our small town we put them on leashes so us oldies could keep up....we have pics of all three dragging us around the town square like rag dolls !!! great fun and none ran out into traffic....so blow, snowflakes
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan
    my oldest needed a leash, we where only a ride to the place he could escape and explore, the punishments never did matter to him , you cannot retrieve your wallet and pay for something with one hand, he was an artist at escaping, i would defy anyone that would claim different

I can guarantee of it you can pay for things one-handed... And do almost anything better to head person could be one handed if you really wanted too. My dearly departed Wife did an excellent job doing it.

And then back in the early 2000's I severed three my tenants in my hand and was unable to use my left hand (which is my strong hand) for about 11 months... You'll learn to do things one-handed when you really want too.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All booger eating germ factories (AKA kids) need to be equipped with a leash and handcuffs (and most should also be gagged at all times).
    Ima Curmudgeon
  • evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mom would not go in the ocean, so on our many trips to Folly she would tie my sister and I to 100 ft of rope, 50 apice if I went to the sand sis could hit the breaks an vice versa.
    Mom said she couldn't watch them drag for us, if we went under she would drag us in.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just this week, a 4-yo Utah girl fell into the icy waters of a river and drowned. Her mother jumped in to save her and drowned. A bystander hero jumped in to save them both and drowned.

She was a normal, inquisitive, spunky little girl.

But some of you would say "Good thing she wasn't on a leash."
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You cannot wait until you are out in public to try and teach your child how to behave in public.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    Child leash is nothing new. Mom had one for my little brother when he was a toddler. Worked great. Oh,he is now 52 yrs old. You do the math as to how long ago that was.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We found the kind that dog catchers use work best. You never know when the little tikes might turn on you.

stock-photo-stray-dog-being-restrained-by-animal.jpg