In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Husqvarna mower review

JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
When I had the WORST ordeal ever with a Husqvarna chainsaw I put it all over the internet. I figure I should do the same when I have a good experience.

I mow a couple acres. Mostly flat. The ditches are steep and one medium hill in the back yard.

The Good-
6 years ago I bought a Husqvarna zero turn mower. 54 in deck, 24 horse Kohler motor. There are 225 hours on it now. I change the oil once a year. I grease the deck spindles, front wheel spindles, and front axles about every 7 hours of run time. New air filter once a year. It uses no oil.

I have a lot of rocks and am hell on blades and the deck. I usually go through two sets of blades a year, if not three.

The deck has held up great. Run it in both mulch mode and regular. I can really tell a difference in the quality of the cut when the underside of the deck is clean, must be something to do with the air flow and the ability to get rid of cuttings when it is clean.

What I am finding amazing is I have not had to replace a deck spindle yet. Other brands I have had in the past deck spindles lasted about 10 hours. 225 hours with no problems has me happy as a pig in a puddle of spit.

Still on the original battery. I put it in the warm shop in winter on a battery tender.

I added a LED light to the front to mow in the dark[:D]

It takes me about 2 hours to mow the yard depending on the grass thickness and the sharpness of the blades. When I first got the mower it took 3 gallons of gas to do this. Now it is taking about 1.75 gallons. The fuel mileage got much better as it was broken in.

No issues with the hydrostatic drive at all.

I used it a couple times to pull my 40 gallon sprayer with no problems.

The cup holder gets used for beer and I have a holster mounted to it for shooting gophers as I mow.

Bad-
The starter did go out 2 years ago. The original lasted 4 years. I replaced it with one from Amazon, made in China, for a fraction of what the dealer wanted and it is working good. I think this starter works better than the original did when it was new.

The parking break is a design that will never ever work. It was wore out after a couple weeks of owning it. I removed the bad parts and never replaced them after seeing how it was designed. It uses an aluminum arm with teeth in it to mesh with a steel sprocket when the parking break is applied. The aluminum just strips away. I have been using it for 6 years with no parking brake with no issues. The hydraulics don't let it roll anyway.

I don't like the deign of the front axles. It has bushings instead of bearings and I keep expecting it to give me problems. I am sure it helps I keep them greased but I give them the stink eye every time I grease them.

Would I buy another one? Probably. My next mower will be a 60" rear discharge but if I was going to get a 54" I would consider it. Mostly because of how impressed I am with the deck. I have ground up a lot of rocks and 225 hours later still running the original deck spindles impresses me.
formerly known as warpig883

Comments

• fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    why does a swedish mower have a amercan kohler motor???is it the meatballs
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    I had a Husqvarna push mower that was a piece of junk. Got a troy bilt with the honda motor. Dad had a Husqvarna chain saw that was junk. I got a stihl. I stay away from that brand.
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    I had a Husqvarna push mower that was a piece of junk. Got a troy bilt with the honda motor. Dad had a Husqvarna chain saw that was junk. I got a stihl. I stay away from that brand.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a tree farm and have very good luck with Husqvarna and Jonserud. I used to have Stihl but too many parts problems and dealers jacking me around. No matter what brand you have to take care of them. I also have two Husqvarna tractors, with very good luck.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You just jinked the mower by bragging on it as it will probably go all to pieces now. That is what usually happens to me. What kind/size of Husqvarna chainsaw as they are easy to work on and usually dependable.
  • e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Husqvarna riding mower with a 46" mowing deck 10 years ago to cut my 1.3 acres here in NW Fl. Being as my yard is more weeds than grass and I have 15 oak tress, I went thru 2 sets of blades every year bagging oak leaves. It had a 20 horse Kohler on it that I had to put 2 carb kits in over the years as well as a new starter. I also bought a used mowing deck and four used tires and wheels about six months ago. When I replaced the deck, I put a new drive belt and mower belt on it. Until that time they were still original. For some reason it started eating drive belts. I put three on it in 6 months. After replacing the last last one I sold the mower for $500 with 253 hours on it. I replaced with another Husqvarna the next size larger.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    husky_10.jpg

My Husqvarne works all the time.
  • Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have a Husqvarna mower that I bought 4 years ago and has given me great service. It is a 48" deck with a 24HP B&S engine. I mow 1.6 acres of flat and it takes about 1.5 to 2 hours to do. I use about a gallon an hour of operation. Deck has held up great. Only spindle problem I had was when I drove over my underground oil tank fill with the deck a little too low. Found a replacement at the local Sears as Husqvarna made the Craftsman mowers. I'm at 110 hours and very happy. Replaced the battery last year. Change the oil at the end of the season. Grease everything every other mow.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    So Far My Kubota Has done great. But then its not really a Mower but Brush Hog.. Had plenty of rocks thru it and one Metal fence post.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a Husqvarna Push mower several years ago, Honda motor (so that helps) and still love it. Also picked up a new Husqvarna trimmer 5 years ago(only run pre-mix/canned fuel) and it starts on the 2nd pull every time (3rd pull after winter)

MY Rider is a different story.
    I bought a Husqvarna riding mower 2 years later (46", 24HP VTwin), it took 3, but I finally got a good one. Deck was bent on the first one, I could not get it level, deck spindle locked up after .3 hours on the second, I'm at 100hrs now on the 3rd and it's a champ.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a 5 year old husqvarna zero turn 52 cut 25 kohler. i mow five acres with it. zero problems so far. husqvarna mowers not made in sweden.
  • bearman49709bearman49709 Member Posts: 503
    edited November -1
    Thanks for giving a good report, most people including me never do.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cant remember the company,but same company makes Husqvarna,Craftsman,Poulan and maybe a few more.Store them out of the weather,keep them clean,run non ethanol gas,and oil,air filter and sharp blades in other words a little effort and they will last a long time.
  • varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    im pretty sure it is AYP. the drives are hydro gear. mine has the zt3100 drives, commercial entry level. the "manufacturer" assembles aftermarket parts, maybe bend some sheet metal, paint, and apply brand stickers stickers. by the way i would not get a zero turn with anything smaller than the 3100 drives. they have oil filters and are serviceable.
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a Husq. 26/54. The Lowes version. Had to replace the carb. I wanted to rebuild it but it looked complicated as heck. It has a pair of "emulsion tubes". WTH. I just got a new one to save time and kept the old one. Spindles have been ok so far, same with the hydro. I'm going to end up changing the battery cables to a heavier gauge. They just seem too light. I tried starting it on a low battery once and the hot side cable was, well, hot. I also took the ignition switch apart and cleaned out all the grease. That grease gets worn copper in it and lets the current jump across contacts. I'm not sure if it's charging the battery. If I pull the + cable while it's running, It stalls out. The fuel solenoid cuts out. I tried running a jumper wire into the solenoid connector but there's two wires. One is from the battery the other is I don't know. I'll figure it out eventually.