In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Jesus didn't eat pork!

CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
I hear some hillbilly song about Jesus drinking wine...so...he didn't eat pork...don't hear no hillbilly song about no eating bacon.

You know, if the Son of God didn't eat pork...you know, it might not be all that healthy...

Comments

• swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    well seeing as how he was surrounded by jews most of the time, i don't imagine he would had many opportunities to do so. and he said what makes a man unclean is what comes out of his mouth, not what goes in it.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swopjan
    well seeing as how he was surrounded by jews most of the time, i don't imagine he would had many opportunities to do so. and he said what makes a man unclean is what comes out of his mouth, not what goes in it.

Romans 14:14 & 20 broaches the subject as well, but I do believe Mark covered most of the bases. Peter's vision in Acts also talks of the matter. 1 Tim 4:3-5 talks about how food is consecrated by prayer...and that nothing God created should be rejected b/c of human precepts.
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    swopjan " . . . what makes a man unclean is what comes out of his mouth, not what goes in it."

+ 1 . . . agreed!
  • swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Alan Rushing

swopjan " . . . what makes a man unclean is what comes out of his mouth, not what goes in it."

+ 1 . . . agreed!

yeah, jesus made some pretty good points [:D]
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Figure Jesus was a Jew I guess he didn't/couldn't eat the swine. Maybe that's why he broke off the Jew Crew to dine on the swine.
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't believe he at least didn't sneak off and have some pork rinds once in a while. Their heavenly.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swopjan

Well said.

being Christ-like is hard enough as it is, without worrying about whether we eat the food that he ate.
  • Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
    edited November -1
    Jesus didn't eat Taco Bell or McDonalds either, but that doesn't means it's not ok.
  • evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    im sure they were pigs everywhere, but raising hogs in the DESERT with as easy as corn an water are to come by.....

i dont care if you eat pork or not, as for me im gonna do it til my doc makes me stop.
  • BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you read the Gospels and Acts, as some of you have, you know that this was a very important issue in the early church. I am sure that Jesus did not eat pork. He was born into a jewiah family and raised in the jewish tradition. So, no pork. Note, that Muslims do not eat pork. They consider themself childern of Abraham, and that Mo. was the last of the prophets, the seal of the prophets. At first they faced Jerusalem to pray.
    I never heard the song.
  • nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But it sure is good [:p]
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was/is no hogs in the desert, they like to wallow in mud puddles to much and that just don't happen in the desert.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by evileye fleagal
    im sure they were pigs everywhere, but raising hogs in the DESERT with as easy as corn an water are to come by.....

i dont care if you eat pork or not, as for me im gonna do it til my doc makes me stop.

You'd be surprised how many hog farms are in modern day Israel.
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This makes me feel religous.

bacon2.jpg

Dead pig, it's whats for breakfast.

tomatos.jpg
    standard.jpg
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    I thought he ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, thats what I would eat if I was walking around in the desert.

The body is a temple of the Lord but if he knew he was only going to live to be 33 wouldn't he have eaten whatever he wanted, he wouldn't have enough time for the adverse effects to kick in.

At the time they were still under the 613 laws of the Torah, the new covenant didn't kick in until Christ's sinless blood was shed for the remission of our sins.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid

You'd be surprised how many hog farms are in modern day Israel.

I reckon they're useing them for protection. Snuke some C-4 and then drop them to Moslum area and set them off. Can't go to where ever they go with vaporized swine juice.

Or they might use the pigs to eat the enemies ("Deadwood" style). Beware of a man who has a pig farm.
  • danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For some reason this is a very sensitive subject

I would just like to say that to each his own live and let live

commonsense tells us not to eat scavengers

ECC nothing God created to be received should be rejected for human perception

Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believed and know the truth. I Timothy chapter 4 verse 3

I am really not wanting to argue but not all animals were created to be eaten by man but all animals are good for this earth even the scavengers serve a good purpose, to clean-up the earth, but not to be eaten by man

just my thoughts no offense to anyone
  • Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    Com on! make somtin as good as bacon and not try some[;)]
  • dongilldongill Member Posts: 2,640
    edited November -1
    The Jews do not eat pork because the pigs may have Trichinosis,a parasitic worm
  • glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    Of course he didnt eat pork he was a Jewish carpenter.
    edited November -1
    Jesus was a party animal! He turned water into wine didn't he? [:D]
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind
    note that he didn't drink it.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

It was never a sin to drink. It is a sin to be drunk.

There is nothing either way saying if he did or did not drink wine.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Jesus was a devout Jew, period. He did not eat pork, crayfish, lobster, and a variety of other meats. He did drink wine, but did not get drunk.

The Levitical dietary laws were in part based on health, buttheir main purpose was to keep the Jewish people separated from -- and uncontaminated by -- the rest of the world. They would be the keepers of Scripture, and would bring the Messiah to us all. It worked: while other cultures came and went, the Jews persevered.

We Christians are freed from having to keep holy by following hundreds of laws. I eat pork, for example -- even though I still consider crawfish unfit for human consumption.

I have it on authority that bacon is served in Heaven.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Lots of food during that time if not cooked correctly would make you sick. This could be a good basis for the Pork restiction.

Cause for a time after a deep pit BarbQ I could not eat pork. They did not get it up to the right temp. There was a whole bunch of use that could not get off the pot the next day.
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The prohibition on pork consumption was a fiscal decision.

Clouder..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by whiteclouder
    The prohibition on pork consumption was a fiscal decision.

Clouder..
    according to what?
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    he was seen once late at night down at the local seven eleven having a big gulp & fritos
  • glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    Pork and shellfish wernt eaton in hot climates simply because they went bad quickly and eventualy got into religion.In fact islam is the same.Read an interesting article from Spain.Dont know if it is true or not but aparentlt a local authority sold some land to the muslims to build a mosque so some of the locals dug a hole on it and buried a pig so it tainted the land and they could not to build it there.Perhaps we should do that at groung zero.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by glyn
    Pork and shellfish wernt eaton in hot climates simply because they went bad quickly and eventualy got into religion.In fact islam is the same.Read an interesting article from Spain.Dont know if it is true or not but aparentlt a local authority sold some land to the muslims to build a mosque so some of the locals dug a hole on it and buried a pig so it tainted the land and they could not to build it there.Perhaps we should do that at groung zero.
    That is not how it happened for Israel.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    Well Jesus being a Jew might have had sumthin to do with it. Though Christians aint supposed to eat unclean animals either, all the laws of the old testament except sacrafice also apply to Christians.

hogs in them days were bad for haveing blood worms and other parasites and deseases that the cooking tech of the age couldnt always take care of. The risk of contamenating water or the food chain with their feces or tripe was also a big threat, as they carried gut worms, and other stuff that could kill, and there was no cure for them.
  • Removed at users request.Removed at users request. Member Posts: 3,027
    edited November -1

"John came not eating and not drinking, and you said he had a devil. The Son of Man comes eating and drinking and you call Him a glutton and a drunkard."

From memory, not a perfect quote but close enough to convey the message. It's pretty clear to me that he drank wine.

He also said the He wouldn't drink wine again until he drank it new in Heaven.

Again, memory, not perfect.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jesus didn't eat pork. However he did give us the New Testament which permits us to eat anything we want. Yes Bacon too pork belly.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    Well Jesus being a Jew might have had sumthin to do with it. Though christians aint supposed to eat unclean animals either, all the laws of the old testament except sacrafice also apply to christians.

hogs in them days were bad for haveing blood worms and other parasites that the cooking tech of the age couldnt always take care of. The risk of contamenating water with their feces was also a big threat, as they carried gut worms that could kill, and there was no cure for them.

not true at all, in Acts, the Jewish leaders convened to discuss what requirements of the Jewish law gentiles would need to obey. This is what they concluded:

Act 15:20 KJV - But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and [from] fornication, and [from] things strangled, and [from] blood.

and so they wrote to them:

Act 15:29 KJV - That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Charles Johnson

"John came not eating and not drinking, and you said he had a devil. The Son of Man comes eating and drinking and you call Him a glutton and a drunkard."

From memory, not a perfect quote but close enough to convey the message. It's pretty clear to me that he drank wine.

He also said the He wouldn't drink wine again until he drank it new in Heaven.

Again, memory, not perfect.
    I was referring to the wedding feast. Show me where it says he drank the wine turned from water. Also, note that what I was refuting was that Jesus was a "party animal".
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Removed at users request.Removed at users request. Member Posts: 3,027
    edited November -1
    I think it's safe to assume that he did drink the wine at the wedding.

Sounds like you could stand a drink or two yourself.
  • CrittergitterCrittergitter Member Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would someone with the powers of a god turn water into wine, after the available wine was consumed, so a bunch of drunks could get more drunk?

Seems a juvenile expression of godly powers to me. Perhaps someone needed a "miracle"?
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He was saying better things to come. New Covenant et all.

You completely missed the point.
  • CrittergitterCrittergitter Member Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Topkick
    He was saying better things to come. New Covenant et all.

You completely missed the point.

"Saying" with more wine for drunks?

Was he tongue tied?

Personal interpretation of ancient superstitious tales repeated by uneducated first century old men is what makes religion so fascinating![:X]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Charles Johnson
    I think it's safe to assume that he did drink the wine at the wedding.

Sounds like you could stand a drink or two yourself.
    I think it's dangerous to assume.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain