In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stick edger question

bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in General Discussion
I want to buy a stick edger for home use and I've narrowed it down to either the Stihl model 56 EC or the Echo PE 225.

Any of you guys have any advice as to which would be the best choice and why?
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call around and see what the yard guys use and then hire them! Don
  • mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would caution you about one thing: I bought a Husquvarna string trimmer and put an aftermarket head on it. Starts the second or third pull every time, even when I only use it three or four times a year. Runs strong. Was about $200 at Lowes.

The only problem is that when I tip it on its side to edge next to the driveway, the trimmer cuts out. Does this every time. Quite frustrating. I am told that this is just the way the new Huskie trimmers are.

Finally, whatever you buy only run the ethanol-free premix through it. If you don't you're only asking for trouble. Good luck.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I have a Worx edger/trimmer.

I only use it in the edger configuration.
    It has wheels. That's a plus.
    It's electric. For me, that's a plus.

Mine has been trouble free for several years.
    I suspect I could do a couple of hundred yards on a charge at this point.
    So if you don't need to edge every time you mow, you could easily do twice that. Or buy an extra battery.

Look real hard at the battery powered equipment. It's come a long way.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would get a Stihl over the Echo but I have a Husky and its lasted 14 years so far and I use it a lot.
    RLTW

• bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm talking about an edger and not the string trimmer.

I know that both Echo and Stihl make a quality product, my chain saw is a Stihl and that thing is bomb proof.

The Stihl has a 27cc engine and the Echo has a 21cc engine, I'm thinking that the larger engine may be a plus. The price is within $7. of each other. I'm leaning towards the Stihl.

Around here the lawn equipment of choice for professionals is Stihl, that being said, professionals use the much more expensive pro models and the model 56 E-C is a "home owner's" model.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Troy Built unit from lowes came with a straight head string trimmer. Over the years I got the blade edger, the hedge trimmer, the mini tiller and the pole saw.

Mine is 2 cycle and has never seen anything but ethanol free premix.

(That said the first one of these I owned the recoil spring in the starter failed out of warrantee, luckily Amex doubles the warrantee...) Second one is going on 8 or 9 years.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    You need to get clearer with your questions.

We can't be expected to be given a choice between "a" and "b".

You KNOW we will recommend "c" or "d" out of spite!!

Make your choices clearer. So we can disappoint and distract more effectively.

Edging? Hell, I line up water softener pellets where I don't want grass to grow!!
    Who needs an edger!!
    [:D]
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside
    You need to get clearer with your questions.

We can't be expected to be given a choice between "a" and "b".

You KNOW we will recommend "c" or "d" out of spite!!

Make your choices clearer. So we can disappoint and distract more effectively.

Edging? Hell, I line up water softener pellets where I don't want grass to grow!!
    Who needs an edger!!
    [:D]

That ends up looking like my neighbor. I have no idea what his moron yard dudes edge with but it will easily perform the function of the gutter at a bowling alley. I will have to take a picture and post. He has had the same morons for 8 years.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the idea of one engine unit and multiple attachments; so I bought the Echo Pro Attachment Series motor unit along with a straight shaft edger attachment, blower attachment, and string trimmer attachment. I've never had a problem with Echo equipment!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    All Y'all are talking about motorized doo-dads!

A stick Edger is a broom handle with a roller knife on one end. Shouldn't cost more than $20 at a yard sale, at most! Quiet! Neighbors don't hate Stick Edgers! Stick Edger will not insert colored bits of plastic string in Your Shins! A Stick Edger will not break any Car Windows!