GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 remington 760 30-06 barrel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cabin100
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  6:46:25 PM  Show Profile
want to change my 18" barrel to a 22" barrel,will the block on the end of the barrel come off because the remington 30-06 barrels i have been seeing just have the threads on the end of the barrel.been searching the forum but cant find the answer.

5mmgunguy
Advanced Member

3974 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  6:50:19 PM  Show Profile
Yes it will. But the 760s are kinda of a pain to reheadspace...but it can be done.
Go to Top of Page

TWalker

1925 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  8:12:51 PM  Show Profile
The carbine length barrel you have is more desirable to many hunters than the longer barrel. You can sell your gun for more than a used one just like it with a 22 inch barrel will cost. I would sell the one you have, buy one like you want and pocket the change. Another option is to trade it for one like you want at a gun show. Most dealers will do an even trade giving you a longer rifle for your carbine in the same condition. If I were going to go to the expense of rebarreling, I would go to the 35 Whelen caliber.

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau

Edited by - TWalker on 12/19/2009 8:30:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

oneoldsap

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  10:00:10 PM  Show Profile
Changing a 760 barrel is a major job. It's not so bad if you have another 760 barrel but setting head space can be a problem . I have a smith that installs M700 barrels on pumps for me . Every 760 that we have done this with has been a tack driver afterward . Paul says that the 760 barrels aren't as good as the 700 barrels and from what I've seen I believe him . Last year I had him install a .35 Whelen barrel that as a takeoff from a new CDL on a 760 and it turned out some sweet a real tack driver with that 24" barrel on it . It's a $200.00 operation , plus you furnish the barrel . Paul has been doing this for many years and knows what he is doing !! If you would like more info PM me.

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Go to Top of Page

hadjii

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  10:06:53 PM  Show Profile
oneoldsap, I don't mean to ask stupid questions, but what would be the difference between the 760 barrel and the 700 barrel? Are the threads the same? What would think of putting a varmint contour barrel on a pump?
Go to Top of Page

MIKE WISKEY
Advanced Member

USA
8662 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  08:57:56 AM  Show Profile
"but what would be the difference between the 760 barrel and the 700 barrel?"..........the threads are not the same but a 700 barrel can be rethreaded to fit the 760 receiver extension.
Go to Top of Page

cabin100
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  09:24:46 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the info,i bought the gun new 33 years ago and shot my first deer with it and many more through the years so its part of me and i would have a hard time to let it go, but it makes my ears ring so i thought a longer barrel would help.
Go to Top of Page

oneoldsap

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  2:10:20 PM  Show Profile
Cabin 100 , I didn't think that your question was stupid at all ! Yes they have different threads . The barrel block is not threaded onto the barrel , it is a real tight slip fit . There is a barrel extension that holds the barrel to the barrel block and engages the bolt . As far as a varmint contour barrel goes , you would have clearance issues with the foreend . A Remington CDL barrel is probably as big as you can go. If you search the auction side you may find one . CDL barrels are 24" long and are not tapped for sights and have a matte finish .

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Go to Top of Page

Herschel

2073 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  2:40:06 PM  Show Profile
cabin100, If you will send me your email address I will scan and email you a line drawing of the model 760 parts and how they fit together. I don't know how to scan and attach it to a reply on this forum. I can't send it to an AOL address. Any other address should work. hsSgarner@tdSs.net Remove the capitol S's from my email address.
Go to Top of Page

savage170
Advanced Member

24288 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  7:44:05 PM  Show Profile
I would leave it as a carbine and just add a long barrel to your collection the 30-06 is easy to find and reasonable after all you can't have too many
A few that I have

All characters appearing in these jokes are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I've got to stop saying, "How stupid can you be?"
Too many people are taking it as a challenge.
Go to Top of Page

5mmgunguy
Advanced Member

3974 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  09:32:11 AM  Show Profile
oneoldsap...I thought the 760 barrel had fine threads that threaded into the 760's barrel block that then threaded into the 760's receiver.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page