GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Sako "Look-Alike" (pictures added)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ambrose

2319 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  1:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have recently purchased an interesting rifle in .30/06 that looks almost exactly like a Sako L61R. I can find one reference to it in de Haas' "Bolt Action Rifles" book where he indicates that The American Import Company of San Francisco brought it in from Japan and that it was made by Howa. It is marked "Dickson-Howa Golden Bear". It has the pecular shaped cheek piece like Sako, the trade mark dove tail topped receiver, and the front sight w/hood as Sako (there is no rear sight nor provisions for one!). I have a "Coltsman" rifle which was built on the Sako action and the two rifles are very much alike. The Coltsman receiver is marked "L61R" while the Japan rifle receiver is unmarked. Differences include the bolt stop housing and the bottom metal made of an alloy rather than the steel of the Sako. My question is: anybody know anything about this rifle? It seems like a lot of trouble and expense to make a copy of the Sako (including that rather "fussy" trigger). Could Sako have been furnishing parts--rejects, perhaps? Any ideas? This rifle certainly has what I call the OOU factor. (Old, odd, or unusual).

There, now we can see all of the pictures. NN

Edited by - nononsense on 08/07/2011 4:58:36 PM

jptatum

USA
1669 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  3:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard of a Dickson Golden Bear but the Howa part is new to me.

J. Patrick Tatum
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

9815 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  4:03:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ambrose,

We constantly encourage members to take and post sharp, properly lit photographs to help us help you with your questions. This is most assuredly a very good example of a need for pictures. There is a 'Sticky' above these threads titled: "Posting Photographs" if you need some assistance with the process.

Best.

Go to Top of Page

sharpshooter039
Advanced Member

USA
4867 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  4:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you google Dickson golden bear rifle you will pull up quite alot about it. I remembered I had an old mag with an article so I looked it up. It says it is a copy of the Sako Finnbear that was being imported by Dickson. At that time Howa was making alot of the parts for Sako and decided to just make a rifle. Sako filed suit and it was discontinued
Go to Top of Page

Hangfire
Advanced Member

3004 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  4:48:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found this..

http://sakocollectors.lefora.com/2009/08/27/anyone-own-a-dickson-howa-golden-bear/

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob

https://membership.nrahq.org/
Go to Top of Page

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

4054 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  5:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember seeing them in stores in those days.
I don't see anything odd about a Japanese copy of a successful Occidental product, they used to do a lot of that.

For that matter, Howa is STILL building rifles that look a lot like 1960s Sakos. Sako has moved on through two or three later models, but Howa still keeps cranking out the original design.
Go to Top of Page

Herschel

2073 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  6:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sako marketed a peep sight for the rifle you mention. It fits on the rear dove tail. I don't know if they are still manufactured. I see them show up on the internet auctions occasionally.
Go to Top of Page

Tflogger
Advanced Member

2982 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  8:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Herschel

Sako marketed a peep sight for the rifle you mention. It fits on the rear dove tail. I don't know if they are still manufactured. I see them show up on the internet auctions occasionally.

I saw one of those sights last week, it's in a parts box either at a friends or my attic.
Go to Top of Page

dfletcher
Advanced Member

USA
7417 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  3:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IIRC didn't Mossberg market a Sako made bolt action too?

dsf
Go to Top of Page

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

4054 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  4:09:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope.
Mossberg marketed a Howa lookalike of a Sako, just as Dickson, S&W, and Weatherby have.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page