GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting
 Thoughts on a new direction for BP revolvers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stankemp

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  4:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out shooting my 1851 Navy the other day and , even though I shot one handed competition (Bullseye) in the past , I found the weight of the Navy offputting , i.e. the shoulder didn't let this old boy get a good sight pic.
Well, that led to thinking about a BP revolver (full size) with a min weight for us old timers. A solution would be to make the frame, including trigger guard, and the barrel and ramrod out of Aluminum alloy. All other components (cylinder , springs, hand etc.) from standard (steel) parts bin items. Of course the barrel would need a rifled steel liner. All this is not undiscovered country mfg wise and I figure it would halve the weight. I'd buy one..would you guys ?
Stan

Rearrange the word " liberal" to spell "Control Freak"

iceracerx
Advanced Member

USA
8847 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  6:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 36 cal "Navy", heavy? Surely you jest!!

The rear sight being a 'V' in the hammer, that moves once the trigger is pulled isn't the best of sighting systems. At least it's that way on my 1851 Colt

Edited by - iceracerx on 02/09/2018 6:12:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

navc130

708 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  2:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They do make a 1862 Police Model .36 cal., listed at 1 1/2 lbs., 5 1/2 in. barrel. Also, there is the .31 cal. 1849 Model. An aluminum frame may not work for the Colt design. I have read that the cylinder rod in the brass frame can shoot loose over time (no personal experience). An aluminum loading rod may not take the stress.
Go to Top of Page

stankemp

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  08:34:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input guys. I am looking for a small, short barrel pocket model to add to the group. I think the Wells Fargo would fill that bill nicely --- small, short barrel, 5 shot and no loading lever to add weight. That said I like the lines of the Navy . Bad shoulders have knocked me out of Bullseye (every ounce counts when you have trouble holding an empty hand out straight) so I look for the least weight. As for the sight picture , I did improve the notch in the hammer ---it's the shakiness coming from a stressed joint (weight again).

Rearrange the word " liberal" to spell "Control Freak"
Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

17546 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2018 :  7:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HELLO stankemp glad to see another old BULLS EYE SHOOTER Did you ever go to national matches at Camp PERRY . I know it is not black powder but have you tried the Ruger mark 4 light weight
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page