GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Competition Shooting and Reloading
 Bullet question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hadjii

USA
725 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  3:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seen something yesterday I haven't seen before. I was shooting at a distance of 300 yards, shooting my Ruger 77 chambered in 264 win mag, shooting 130 grain swift scirocco. I had one bullet hit the target completely sideways by the hole in the target. Is that a sign of the bullet not being stabilized or perhaps just a bad bullet? All other bullets made nice little round holes. They always group good at 100, but thought I'd stretch out a ways for a change. Twist in my rifle is a 1 in 9. Muzzle velocity is 3050 fps according to my crony.
Thanks for thoughts and inputs.

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5797 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  4:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only one keyhole, I'd guess a bad bullet.
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

10103 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  6:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hadjii,

It sounds like something is off in the balance of that bullet. Your load at that velocity should be stable down to a 1:10" twist rate.

Best.

Go to Top of Page

hadjii

USA
725 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  7:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'll try shooting a couple more groups at that range, and see if I have any more bullets that do the same, and then make a determination. I will say this though. My very best accuracy with this rifle has came from 140 grain bullets and R17 powder.

I hope it was just a fluke. I have 4 boxes of them. They did a nice job on a nice 8 pt I shot in Louisiana last year. Deer took 3 steps and gave it up.

Edited by - hadjii on 02/20/2018 8:02:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5797 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  7:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before you load them, weigh them, might check the diameter too. Sometimes the bullet swedging stuff wears out of round a little before they catch it.

Back in the day Hornady actually shot groups with different lots of production for a check. A group opened way up so they started looking - 0.0002 in something was off. When corrected the groups returned to normal.

So what was you 100 yard group size?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page