GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 winchester model 64 carbine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

44mutley

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2018 :  6:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
picked up a model 64 carbine, standard 30 wcf that sereal number puts it in the late 40's,condition wise i guess it would be called a shooter, the upper tang of receiver is not marked winchester or anything at all and no screw holes, i had it in my mind that all older winchester lever guns had the tangs marked, maybe im wrong, any help would be appreciated, thanks

Hangfire
Advanced Member

3131 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2018 :  9:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At some point, after WWII, Winchester tangs were un-marked..The 64's were offered up to 1957, so yours most likely falls into this group..I've heard/read about early plain tangs, but I don't think it's been confirmed that Winchester ever released any by choice..

Bert's done quite a bit of research on '94's (and 64's), and can probably provide the correct details, if you'll provide the full serial number..

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob

https://membership.nrahq.org/
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
11424 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  12:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winchester stopped marking the upper tangs on the Model 64 (and the Model 94) on August 23rd, 1942 at serial number 1343183. That specific date and serial number was the last "pre-WW II" made, as Winchester temporarily halted production to support the WW II efforts at the end of that day. When Winchester resumed production of the Model 64 and Model 94 on September 28th, 1945, the upper tangs were blank.

The tang sight hole in the upper tang was eliminated in June 1942.

If you can provide me with the serial number on your Model 64, I can pin down a reasonably accurate date of manufacture. Based on my ongoing research survey for the Model 64, the 20-inch barreled variation (referred to as the Carbine) made up just over 16% of the total production (10,750 with a 20-inch barrel).

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page