GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Gun identification
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emsfire

63 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  6:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have yet to learn how to upload pictures here so hereís my best description. Receiver is marked ďFabrique Nationale Herstal-LiegeĒ no other markings besides the serial number. Curved bolt handle, sights are reminiscent of the Yugo M24. 7MM Mauser caliber. Sporterized stock, rifle is about carbine length. Anddd go.

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
25585 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  6:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
South American Mauser.

A man who says he has never been scared is either lying or else he's never been anywhere or done anything
Sackett

A man who has not known many women cannot appreciate the value of one. The Walking Drum

A man's success he can share with others, his troubles are his own. Comstock Lode

A ship does not sail with yesterdays wind. The Walking Drum

Go to Top of Page

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

4211 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  7:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've heard the old saying "One Aw S**t wipes out a thousand Attaboys"?

Well, "sporterized" wipes out collector interest and most of the resale value of a military surplus rifle.
Go to Top of Page

emsfire

63 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  7:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk Carse

You've heard the old saying "One Aw S**t wipes out a thousand Attaboys"?

Well, "sporterized" wipes out collector interest and most of the resale value of a military surplus rifle.

When I say sporterized Iím using that term lightly. Itís not the original stock. No other alterations have been made. It would take a new stock to get it back to the orginal look. For $95 dollars Iím looking at buying it just as a project to get it back to original mil surp look.
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

18236 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  9:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emsfire

When I say sporterized Iím using that term lightly. Itís not the original stock. No other alterations have been made. It would take a new stock to get it back to the orginal look. For $95 dollars Iím looking at buying it just as a project to get it back to original mil surp look.

Make sure you measure the length of the receiver. Before buying a replacement stock. FN made two lengths. The 1924's were a intermediate length, 8.5" long. The later FN models, were a 1/4 inch longer.
Go to Top of Page

emsfire

63 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  9:54:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After some more digging I more than 90% sure that the rifle is a Uruguayan FN 1893. Only thing Iím wondering now is about a stock. Think I can get the stock off of a Spanish version to make it fit this model? What about the stock from a Yugo M24?
Go to Top of Page

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

4211 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2018 :  09:36:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An 1893 is a small ring action, I am pretty sure an M24 is large.
Go to Top of Page

b0400879

Barbados
314 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2018 :  12:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If indeed a Uru 93, any small ring stock should fit/function.
Carse is correct: the M24 is large ring, but an intermediate length action (requires the proper stock).
Be advised that a couple models of Spanish Mausers sported small rings, so there's hope.
quote:
After some more digging I more than 90% sure that the rifle is a Uruguayan FN 1893. Only thing Iím wondering now is about a stock. Think I can get the stock off of a Spanish version to make it fit this model? What about the stock from a Yugo M24?

Edited by - b0400879 on 03/08/2018 12:14:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

18236 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2018 :  1:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by b0400879

If indeed a Uru 93, any small ring stock should fit/function.
Carse is correct: the M24 is large ring, but an intermediate length action (requires the proper stock).
Be advised that a couple models of Spanish Mausers sported small rings, so there's hope.
quote:

According to "Mauser Military Rifles of the World". There is no such thing as a Uruguayan Model 1893. There is a 1895, but it has no receiver markings.

The chamber marking on the receiver, "Fabrique Nationale" over "Herstal Liege". Is the FN commercial address crest.

To get the right stock, you would first have to figure out what model Mauser it is. Description of bolt and serial, number might help in this matter. The early 7 mm Mausers that went to Spain and South America, were different then the latter ones, in this regard.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page