GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 value of a refinished 1958 python
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

44mutley

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  11:10:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone have a rough idea of what a 1958 colt python 6in
would be that has been refinished in nickel, looks great but was told that none were made in nickel in 58 thanks

nmyers
Advanced Member

15895 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  12:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll take you at your word that the gun has been refinished. I'm wary of commercially replated guns, as it's difficult to tell how good the plater was, until the finish starts to flake off. So, I might be willing to pay $200-400 for such a gun. But, I see too many folks today who engage in "wishful bidding"; i.e., they pay too much for a gun that they can't see clearly or know much about. So, it's possible that someone not very cautious would pay up to $1,000 for such a gun.

Neal

"Opinions are like baracks, everybody's got one." -- unk

EDIT: Did I miss something? I didn't see anything that said that the gun the OP asked about is the same gun listed in the Morphy auction. In any case, absent a COLT FACTORY LETTER, I have to assume that the one he is looking at is a replated gun.

Edited by - nmyers on 03/14/2018 08:24:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

44mutley

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  12:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
guess i should probably leave it alone then, the guy wants 1500 for it
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

18236 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  12:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nmyers

I'll take you at your word that the gun has been refinished. I'm wary of commercially replated guns, as it's difficult to tell how good the plater was, until the finish starts to flake off. So, I might be willing to pay $200-400 for such a gun. But, I see too many folks today who engage in "wishful bidding"; i.e., they pay too much for a gun that they can't see clearly or know much about. So, it's possible that someone not very cautious would pay up to $1,000 for such a gun.

Neal

"Opinions are like baracks, everybody's got one." -- unk

+1

Serious collectors wouldn't be interested. Given the mystique, and value of Colt's snake guns though. If the refinishing was done by a pro, and hasn't been badly buffed. Markings are still even, legible. Sharp edges haven't been radiused etc. I agree with Neal, could go for $1000 or more. It all depends on the cosmetics.

Refinishing a pistol for a high polish, mirror Nickel finish. Takes great skill on the polishers part.

Go to Top of Page

44mutley

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  12:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
only reason i am saying i think its been refinished is because i have read on other sites that pythons were not made in nickel in early 50's, whether they are right or wrong i really dont know
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

18236 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  1:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 44mutley

only reason i am saying i think its been refinished is because i have read on other sites that pythons were not made in nickel in early 50's, whether they are right or wrong i really dont know

If the Nickel finish is in fact original? And everything else on it, was correct? $1500 would be a steal.

Go to Top of Page

Knifecollector
Advanced Member

USA
3466 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  2:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've saw 1958 Nickel Pythons. You might not want to back away just yet.
Go to Top of Page

iceracerx
Advanced Member

USA
8844 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  6:38:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently ANYTHING is/was possible.

Not a factory option until 1963 (it the link is correct), but could be had earlier for some $$$$$.

Paragraph breaks added to I could read the following:

quote:
Colt did not begin offering nickel plating on the Colt Python until 1963, but like anything else, people with enough pull could usually get what they want.

According to the serial number on this gun, the frame was built in 1958.

Factory letter states that this gun was sent as a 6" nickel revolver in a shipment of one to Frank Weldon at the Blue Island Gun Shop in Blue Island, Illinois on May 28th, 1959.

One can surmise that when the order came in, this person was A) a special client and B) and that they grabbed an already existing and assembled frame and built what we believe is now currently the earliest shipped factory recorded nickel revolver ever shipped.

Cylinder shows little to no signs of any burn. It is a full nickel gun with the matte top, satin nickel adjustable rear sight base with polished sides, nickel hammer and trigger, with the correct fully checkered type one walnut grips with proper gold medallion. Aside from a light drag line, condition appears to be near new. Grips are near mint to mint.

Comes in an original Colt walnut type two piece box, numbered on bottom in marker. End label lists as a 6" blue, which makes sense since the nickel revolver did not exist. Wax paper, warranty card and key chain screwdriver inside. Gun is brilliant and would be unimprovable if it was made in the 1990's.

Phenomenal for a gun shipped in the 1950's. As Python collections are defined by their rarities, early guns, and conditions, it would be impossible to find an earlier higher grade example of a factory nickel Python and would be a prize in any collection.

http://auctions.morphyauctions.com/lot-259047.aspx
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5790 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  6:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd want Colt to re-verify the letter's contents. Fake paperwork exists just like faked weapons.

Looking at the pic's (which aren't the best) it doesn't appear to be refinished to me.
Go to Top of Page

rsnyder55
Advanced Member

2848 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  08:14:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why didn't they include a copy of the letter? The box also says 'blue'. If it was a custom job, I would think they would make a label correctly identifying the gun.

NRA Endowment Member
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page