GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Why not hunt them
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sam06
Advanced Member

14874 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  12:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In FL they have these "researchers" killing iguanas with a captive bolt gun and then "smashing" in their heads.

This is like the monkey story in FL I saw a year ago. Why don't they allow people to hunt them.

Iguana tastes good, in Central and South America they call them tree chickens.

Link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5490767/Florida-researchers-bashing-heads-invasive-iguanas.html

C&P
Researchers are taking a controversial approach to ridding Florida of invasive iguanas that are overtaking residents' yards by bashing in their brains.

A team from the University of Florida is using a captive bolt gun that sends a bolt into the brain, similar to what's used in the livestock industry.

Then they smash the creatures' heads against solid objects to cause 'blunt force trauma,' UF wildlife biologist Jenny Ketterlin told the Sun Sentinel.

Ketterlin said destroying their brains quickly is the most humane way to kill them.

About 249 iguanas have been killed by the technique so far.

Their work is part of a $63,000, three-month research project contracted by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Officials say iguanas are an invasive species that feed on native plants and wildlife.

In order to kill the reptiles, the researchers sneak up on the iguanas at night while they're sleeping, then kill them on the spot.

OK I understand now its about the money.

The FL Fish and wildlife commission could have made money selling hunting license to people so they could hunt them down. By my quick math so far they the State has paid over $250 per dead Iguana

What a bunch of idiots.

Here is how to do it:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/04/how-to-kill-and-eat-a-lizard.html

RLTW

Proud white heteronormative cis-male member of the Kyriarchy

Liberalism: The haunting feeling that someone, somewhere, might be having a good time.

remingtonoaks
Advanced Member

USA
18231 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  12:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iguanas have salmonella, so I doubt I'd want to eat it. But if they're trying to get rid of them I'd have no problem shooting one or a thousand
Go to Top of Page

Sam06
Advanced Member

14874 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  12:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by remingtonoaks

Iguanas have salmonella, so I doubt I'd want to eat it. But if they're trying to get rid of them I'd have no problem shooting one or a thousand

They can carry salmonella but you only eat the legs like a frog and you cook them well. They are safe to eat, I have eaten 100's of them when I was stationed in Panama. We would shoot them with a pellet gun and eat them.

RLTW

Liberalism: The haunting feeling that someone, somewhere, might be having a good time.
Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
42546 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  12:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chickens have salmonella has that stopped you.
Go to Top of Page

Dads3040
Advanced Member

USA
13716 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  12:47:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't eat Iguanas because of their dangerous intake of DiHydrogen Monoxide. Enough of that stuff will kill a fella.

The Object in Life is not to be with the Majority, but Rather to Avoid finding Oneself in the Ranks of the Insane. Marcus Aurelius
Go to Top of Page

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

14117 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  2:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know there are outfitters that put together Iguana shoots in Puerto Rico.
They are destructive little critters that are wreaking havoc on Puerto Rico's eco system.
And some get big! They shoot the invasive little buggers with pellet guns like sqirrels!

My Grandpa always said "sounds like too much thinking, why don't you try aiming!"
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
32610 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  2:25:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"Their work is part of a $63,000, three-month research project contracted by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission."

Without the project, the Florida F&WCC wouldn't get $63,000 for this research project to deplete your tax dollars!

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

United States Army ~ 1966-1968 USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968
Go to Top of Page

Sam06
Advanced Member

14874 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  2:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gearheaddad

I know there are outfitters that put together Iguana shoots in Puerto Rico.
They are destructive little critters that are wreaking havoc on Puerto Rico's eco system.
And some get big! They shoot the invasive little buggers with pellet guns like sqirrels!

Check out the link at the end. There is a guy driving around in a golf cart shooting them with either a pellet gun or what looks like a Henry 22 with either shot or CB caps.

What a job!

The location is in the FL Keys.

When I was in Panama my yard man turned me on to them. He would catch then in a net. I got my Dad to send me a pellet rifle and we would go after them around my house on Ft Espinar.

When I moved to the other side of Panama I hunted them from a boat while fishing.

They are good eating and like the guy said somewhere between chicken and Crab, I know it sounds weird but that is what I got too.

RLTW

Go to Top of Page

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

14117 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  3:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Puerto Rico, Look at the size of them!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoFolCAwkbc

My Grandpa always said "sounds like too much thinking, why don't you try aiming!"
Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
Advanced Member

12853 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  3:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was in Rico a few years back playing golf and those bastages were everywhere. Some looked pretty mean.
Go to Top of Page

bullshot
Advanced Member

9458 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  4:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

They don't let people hunt them because of the potential for accidental shootings etc.

most of the lizards are found in public and residential areas.

Boca Grande is loaded with them and they eat birds eggs, sea turtle eggs and a multitude of other things. They have almost completely wiped out the bird population there.

Go to Top of Page

wpageabc
Advanced Member

USA
7767 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  5:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are nasty looking creatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
47004 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  10:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clearly all $63K is not going as a bounty on iguanas. That said, perhaps they wish to accurately map where they are taken to get a clear picture of their distribution and habitat use in FL.

~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets Founding Member ~
Go to Top of Page

oldemagics
Advanced Member

4629 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  08:39:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also a quick guide to cleaning one for diner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM6sJsb1jJs

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
-Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
47004 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  09:07:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grumpygy

Chickens have salmonella has that stopped you.

And the salmonella that reptiles carry is a much 'hotter' strain, that does cause death in humans. But good butchering techniques and keeping things clean pretty much eliminates that threat. They do eat them all over the neo-tropics.

I have hand-fed them but never eaten them. All of the reptiles and amphibians I have eaten taste like frog legs, not my favorite.

~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets Founding Member ~
Go to Top of Page

yoshmyster
Advanced Member

17473 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  2:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most states got crap load of invasive critters one could get fat on. But cities got that no shooting in city limits. Drive bys are A-Okay. Silly.
Go to Top of Page

RugerNiner
Advanced Member

12309 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  3:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Amazon boss Jeff Bezos has been pictured eating iguana at an exclusive New York dinner event attended by some of the world's richest men. The bizarre appetisers were served up alongside exotic dishes including tarantula and cockroaches at this year's Explorers Club Annual Dinner

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5495377/Amazon-boss-Jeff-Bezos-pictured-eating-IGUANA.html

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.

Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
32610 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  9:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Some people will eat anything.

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

United States Army ~ 1966-1968 USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968
Go to Top of Page

TrinityScrimshaw
Advanced Member

USA
9292 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  12:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Itís a very desired table fair in Honduras.

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."<BR>(Proverbs 22:6)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page