GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 A Procol Harum History Lesson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
25585 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  2:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the little town of Bay Minette, we have three Mexican, one Japanese, one rib, one chicken, two pizzerias, one country, two Subways, an Arby's, two seafood, and four burger joints.

We also have some very short sighted people. Actual conversation an hour ago with a good crawfish and beer buddy (He drinks Corona, go figure).

Bill: The mexican are proof the Indians had sex with buffalo.

Michael: You don't know your history very well Bill. Ferdinand DeSoto, Ponce De Leon. These were some of the Supermen of the New World.

The Conquistadors brought their seed from Spain and planted it all over the American southwest, Mexico, central and South America as well as the Caribbean
Why do you think Spanish and Portuguese are the languages of every country south of us?

https://youtu.be/cT0loK0UEBQ

Bill: OK so the Mexican have Spanish and buffalo and indian..

There's no problem holding Hispanics to the same standard as everyone else. What needs to be realized is they are more Conservative and paternal than American Liberals and Democrats. They also cook some damn good chow. We need to get them onboard with us instead of the Democrats.

Final thought; Who didn't run off to the library in '72 to learn all about the Conquistadors?

A man who says he has never been scared is either lying or else he's never been anywhere or done anything
Sackett

A man who has not known many women cannot appreciate the value of one. The Walking Drum

A man's success he can share with others, his troubles are his own. Comstock Lode

A ship does not sail with yesterdays wind. The Walking Drum

Edited by - p3skyking on 03/13/2018 3:11:12 PM

Ditch-Runner
Advanced Member

USA
16616 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  3:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to admit that was the first time I ever heard the song ( that I remember ) I was in the 9th grade in 72
Go to Top of Page

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
25585 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  4:05:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ditch-Runner

I have to admit that was the first time I ever heard the song ( that I remember ) I was in the 9th grade in 72

Not many Americans listened to it at the time. It has a bit of a Spanish flair at the beginning and fewer still knew what a Conquistador was.

We in Mobile learned in the first grade about Conquistadors since De Soto came through the area and De Leon searched for the Fountain of Youth in Florida. There were hundreds of those basterds all over the place.

They were also brave, ambitious, rich, and prominent men in search of a dream in the name of Spain. The song is not accurate. They did conquer the Mayans and capture what became Mexico City.

A man who says he has never been scared is either lying or else he's never been anywhere or done anything
Sackett

A man who has not known many women cannot appreciate the value of one. The Walking Drum

A man's success he can share with others, his troubles are his own. Comstock Lode

Go to Top of Page

Ditch-Runner
Advanced Member

USA
16616 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  4:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lucky for me I went to school when they taught history unlike today so I had some knowledge of the Spanish
and of course history channel and the internet helped a lot over the years
I have heard of the music group but as you say never listen to them that I can recall

as for the Conquistadors they had to have balls of steel along with there armor to go into unknown places and face countless others
as all the early explores I know riches and fame drove a lot of them but regardless it was a brave mans world
Go to Top of Page

kannoneer

USA
2247 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  6:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't recall ever hearing that song. All I know from that group is 'A Lighter Shade of Pale'.
Go to Top of Page

Old-Colts
Advanced Member

USA
23135 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  6:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nevertheless, they certainly aren't a "Whiter Shade of Pale"!
Go to Top of Page

bearman49709

425 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  7:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why did you wait until 72 to run off to the library when it was on their debut album in 1967?
Go to Top of Page

Wulfmann
Advanced Member

USA
6068 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  8:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In LA at the Shrine fall of 68 I went to see Procol Harum.
They open with Conquistador and and it was outstanding.

They were not one of my favorite bands until I heard them that night. One of the best live performances I saw that year and I saw maybe 35-40 of the top groups so it is saying something.

Still love that song and never cared what it meant

ďA government that does not trust itís law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.Ē James Madison

Go to Top of Page

Old-Colts
Advanced Member

USA
23135 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  8:17:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Procol Harum had a great lead guitarist, Robin Trower!
Go to Top of Page

Smitty500mag
Advanced Member

USA
10550 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  8:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kannoneer

Don't recall ever hearing that song. All I know from that group is 'A Lighter Shade of Pale'.

FYI it was "A Whiter Shade of Pale" not lighter.

Go to Top of Page

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
25585 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  9:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So no one did any research huh? I thought sure someone would point out that it was the Aztecs who were conquered in Mexico City, not the Mayans. Conquered more by small pox than sword since the New World did not have small pox until brought by the Europeans.

If anyone is interested in Pre-Columbian America, the Mel Gibson movie Apocalypto is supposed to be a pretty accurate depiction of the Mayans at the height of their empire. They were a pretty blood thirsty bunch. The ending is a killer.

https://youtu.be/aG8WqEyXIyc

Sackett

Go to Top of Page

pwillie
Advanced Member

USA
25716 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  07:13:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Human sacrifice is nothing new.....55,000 in Vietnam....650,000 Americans 1861-65....Iraq...?....who knows?
Go to Top of Page

select-fire
Advanced Member

56439 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  08:26:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old-Colts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9T06UfP1S0
Go to Top of Page

Old-Colts
Advanced Member

USA
23135 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  10:34:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by select-fire

quote:
Originally posted by Old-Colts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9T06UfP1S0
One of my favorites by him! I have the DVD that that video came from.
Go to Top of Page

yoshmyster
Advanced Member

17473 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  10:59:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I reckon all the kitchen crew are Messicans . Even at the Japanese joint with Jose Yamaguchi.

Sarah Brightman's version. Easy on the eyes and I like her voice .

Almost forgot. Them Spaniards must've been farmers since they planted much seeds around the globe.

Edited by - yoshmyster on 03/14/2018 11:02:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

wpageabc
Advanced Member

USA
7767 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  11:05:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simple sister, by Procol Harem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

36250 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  11:08:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
history, American govt, and civics are mostly blank spots in education anymore....feel good classes reign supreme
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page