GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Your best food shopping store
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wallie
Advanced Member

USA
8683 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  10:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And how/why do you pick your food store?

mark christian
Administrator

USA
31990 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  11:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since there is a Publix less than a mile away, it is the clear winner...plus I love their fried chicken! Trader Joes was my go-to back in SoCal, but there is exactly one in the Orlando area and the traffic up there is so horrific that I wouldn't drive there if they paid me.
Go to Top of Page

wallie
Advanced Member

USA
8683 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  11:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked this Super Store because it is close and has everything I need to do home, auto, computer, garden, body. etc. maintenance
Iím on borrowed time
In my line of work i have no time to waste on appointments

Close to home base

Reasonable prices

Over night parking campers/tractor-trailers

Over head cover for horse parking

Open 24 hrs.

Food, hardware, pharmacy, bank, sporting goods, optometrist, garden center, restaurant, etc,etc,etc all in one store.

Go to Top of Page

gjshaw
Advanced Member

9471 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  12:04:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Winn-Dixie and Walmart 99% of the time just because itís on my way home from work.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
Go to Top of Page

Sig220_Ruger77
Advanced Member

USA
10523 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  03:56:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woodman's. Great prices, fresh fruit and vegetables, and they carry a lot of unique foods.

Jon

Trusted GunBroker forum moderator and all around good guy, montanajoe on Glock pistols...."yes, I admit, they do make for a nice picture."

"You all say what ever you want about Glocks. When this old world ends there will be cock roaches climbing over Ak's and Glocks." -- Ricci Wright

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=927910

20 gauge, .22LR, .25 Auto, 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .223(5.56), .22-250, .277 Wolverine, .308 Winchester
Go to Top of Page

wpageabc
Advanced Member

USA
7767 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  04:32:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shop Rite and Walmart they are in town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Go to Top of Page

mjrfd99
Advanced Member

USA
3596 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  05:28:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NJ Shop Rite is almost a monopoly here. Drove 2 others out. Good prices compaiped to most others too. Way cheaper than the Publix by us in Fl.
Go to Top of Page

Brookwood
Advanced Member

USA
5299 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  06:03:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meijer is king around here. There is a new Walmart but their produce and meat department suck.

All the smaller grocery stores have folded up and are gone now. The two Dollar stores seem to be doing well and for a close to home milk purchase, I'll hit them and pay a buck more and save the 25 mile round trip to a big store.

ALWAYS check the dates on everything I buy at all stores but especially at the dollar stores! They sell a lot of dry goods that have expired months ago!!
Go to Top of Page

patt7638

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  07:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WalMart
Go to Top of Page

minitruck83
Advanced Member

USA
5333 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  07:57:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Publix for meats.
Save a Lot on everything else. At least 20% lower on prices.
Walgreens for sales on eggs, used to get em from a messican, but someone clued him in in 'organic', and now he wants $4/dz
Go to Top of Page

Locust Fork

USA
29681 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  09:26:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Publix for the people that work there. I know not all that long ago they went through some major changes and the employees that have been with the company for a long time are NOT happy with how things are changing. So, we will see if they continue to be the gem in the world of shopping hell holes we have grown accustomed to.

I HATE Walmart, but recently got a Sam's card so my daughter would be able to get discount diapers and baby supplies. My husband and I made a trek out to see if it was worth it and ended up making a ridiculous haul that afternoon. They had GREAT ribeyes and some pre-made "pop it in the oven" type meals that ended up being pretty dang good.

Click here to check out my auctions?..I double dog dare you to!!!

Go to Top of Page

Sam06
Advanced Member

14874 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  09:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sprouts

Its like a Farmers market only with smaller portions. They have great prices on Veggies and fruits.

For meat I like BJ's the butcher will cut it any way I want.

RLTW

Proud white heteronormative cis-male member of the Kyriarchy

Liberalism: The haunting feeling that someone, somewhere, might be having a good time.
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
32612 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  10:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wallie

And how/why do you pick your food store?

In the small town here ... the only main one on your list is WalFart. The Target store has a few grocery items so not a grocery stop.

Otherwise, there is are two Super Value stores. One is way overpriced and has replaced many quality name brand items with something called "essential" brand that is crap.

The other Super Value isn't to bad, clean, neat and fairly reasonable prices & has products WalFart doesn't. I like that ...but WalFart can beat their prices on many items.

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

United States Army ~ 1966-1968 USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968

Edited by - us55840 on 03/14/2018 10:18:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

wallie
Advanced Member

USA
8683 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  12:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Walmarts secretly

Go to Top of Page

Smitty500mag
Advanced Member

USA
10550 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  12:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We pick the more expensive stores so we don't have to deal with the fat ass welfare bums blocking the isles in their handicap carts talking to a compete stranger as if they've known them for life.

Go to Top of Page

buddyb
Advanced Member

3333 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  12:43:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walmart is 4 miles away.Anything else 25+ miles away.
Go to Top of Page

Wild Turkey

1640 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  12:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aldi's for us. Close and we can be in and out in the time it takes to get to the milk section at Walmart or Krogers.

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
Go to Top of Page

asop
Advanced Member

5624 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  5:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wife goes to Aldi's for stables and a local farm butcher shop for meat. Works out pretty well.
Go to Top of Page

wallie
Advanced Member

USA
8683 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  5:52:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page