GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Keltec pmr 30 jamming
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

idaho cowboy

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  10:29:32 AM  Show Profile
As I gather these pistols have an inherent jamming / feed problem. I have two friends that have them and they both have these issues. Both have tried various makes of ammo, fallowed the manufactures recommendations as far as bullet weight and still can not fire 20 rounds without having either a jam caused by the empty shell not being extracted or by a feed problem. Quite often the feed issue is that the slide will not quite close on a new round. Has anyone else experienced these issues and if so did you get the problem resolved.

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5794 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  11:09:50 AM  Show Profile
Some designs aren't all that good. Same goes for actual production.

I would first examine the extractor. No burrs and no/min slop, proper angle and fit to the rim. Maybe a stronger spring. Polish the chamber. Make and use a cartridge checker gauge.

Polish the rails, use good lube. Clean and de-burr the inside of the magazine.
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

18239 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  12:43:12 PM  Show Profile
I've had one for going on 4 years now. Bought it new, for way over MSR. Because that was the only way, a peon could get his hands on one.

I anticipated trouble, so documented the round count over the first 3 years.

Quit at 2100+. Shoots everything. Even the stuff KelTec, says not to use.
Very fussy accuracy wise, as far as ammo is concerned. Loves CCI 30 grain H-P's. Will Keyhole, with a lot of other ammo.

Wouldn't lock back, after the last shot from the mag. Until a red dot was mounted on the slide.

Firing pin broke, shortly after I mounted the Burris. The special mount that KelTec sells, to adapt the red dot to the slide. Holes are misaligned. Fixed it by backing off on one of the mounting screws. KelTec sent me a replacement firing pin. But wouldn't accept, that their holes were countersunk out of wack. And wanted me to send back the pistol for repair.

All in all, I'm very happy with my PMR 30. Except that business with KelTec.

Go to Top of Page

Bill DeShivs

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  1:31:51 PM  Show Profile
Mine works fine.
K/T generally has very good customer service. Tell your friends to use it!

Bill DeShivs
Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

36238 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2018 :  7:33:24 PM  Show Profile
short time ago i managed to get an Armscor RIA XT-22magnum pistol... need to get out and give it a run thru
Go to Top of Page

gjshaw
Advanced Member

9471 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  11:53:26 PM  Show Profile
I bought a new pmr 30 and had jamming and stove pipe problems too. I did some reading on the problems and found out that most everybody that was having problems corrected it by buying a loader for the mags. I bought this loader
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IWX54AM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522385078&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=pmr+30+speed+loader&dpPl=1&dpID=41waeoEyYJL&ref=plSrch)
and have not had one problem since. They appear to be fussy when it comes to loading the magazine. Iíve run over 5 full magazines since buying the loader with no problems.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

18239 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  12:26:34 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gjshaw

I bought a new pmr 30 and had jamming and stove pipe problems too. I did some reading on the problems and found out that most everybody that was having problems corrected it by buying a loader for the mags. I bought this loader
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IWX54AM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522385078&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=pmr+30+speed+loader&dpPl=1&dpID=41waeoEyYJL&ref=plSrch)
and have not had one problem since. They appear to be fussy when it comes to loading the magazine. Iíve run over 5 full magazines since buying the loader with no problems.

Never had jamming or feeding problems with mine. I've always followed, KelTec's loading procedures. Regarding loading 5 rounds. Than making sure they are seated correctly. By tapping the spine of the mag, gently against a hard surface.

Go to Top of Page

Bottom Gun

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  09:02:34 AM  Show Profile
Perhaps Keltecís magazine loading instructions should start off with ďWhen the moon is full . . . . .Ē
I bought a PMR30 a while back but resold it before I even fired it. I didnít like the magazines. I could tell by the design that they were going to be problematic so after filling the magazines and dry cycling a few times, I decided this gun is not for me. I sold it unfired and bought a S&W model 48. The model 48 is a much nicer handgun.

NRA Life Member
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
32582 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  1:13:17 PM  Show Profile

Only handled one once. Wasn't impressed and read when they were coming out they had some severe issues that caused multiple delays.

I much prefer the original, the Grendel P-30. Works every time and never a jam.

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

United States Army ~ 1966-1968 USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968
Go to Top of Page

Maalox
Advanced Member

USA
5013 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2018 :  9:27:26 PM  Show Profile
I have one and have not had any issues. I do make sure the rounds are in the magazine correctly while loading. Bought it so the wife would have something to take care of the armadillos rooting up here garden beds. I went out one day with a .45 and quickly decided I did not want to have to clean up the mess I was about to make. That's when I went to gun broker and both the PMR.

MAALOX

Go to Top of Page

William81
Advanced Member

USA
23706 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2018 :  07:59:00 AM  Show Profile
I bought one when they first came out. The only issues I had with it early on was a few failures to feed or eject. These issues occurred when I shot ammo not on the suggested list supplied with the firearm. It also keyholed with some loads.

Two years ago after 1500 rounds, the takedown pin broke. I contacted Keltec and mailed it in for service. When it was returned, Keltec replaced the broken pin, installed an upgraded barrel and sights....all at no cost.

Since that time I have fired approximately 1K of various ammo through it. No issues, no key holing and quite accurate. Fun gun to take to the range, the boom and fireball with some loads get some attention.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page