GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting
 Thoughts On Underhammer Heritage Rifle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brookwood
Advanced Member

USA
5299 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  07:20:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just acquired an underhammer percussion rifle in a trade over the weekend in 36 caliber. It is stamped on the barrel Heritage along with Allen and Numerick on the barrel.

The bore is very nice and the action seems to function well but seems about as simplistic as I've ever run across with the trigger guard acting as a hammer spring! The rifle also is equipped with a brass hand guard rail behind the trigger guard and a Lyman tang mounted peep sight\front ring sight.

It will be a while before I can take this one out to the range for some testing (weather thing) but would like to hear from anyone who has had experience and or any information about this unique rifle.

firstharmonic

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  09:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had this same underhammer rifle (Numrich/Hopkins & Allen) in .45 caliber; actually .44 in real life. They were popular in the 70's and were known for being accurate. Simple? You bet. Means not much to go wrong. Barrels were made almost always by Douglas and were top quality.

"In God We Trust". For everything else, always cut the cards.
Go to Top of Page

stankemp

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2018 :  11:12:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You lucky duck !!
I always wanted one of those .
Stan

Rearrange the word " liberal" to spell "Control Freak"
Go to Top of Page

Brookwood
Advanced Member

USA
5299 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2018 :  04:21:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stan, for some strange reason lately, I seem to be finding a few unusual muzzle loaders that have followed me home.

A few months ago this fine little Navy Arms half stocked mule ear (side slapper) in 32 caliber was added to my stable.

I did get to shoot it out in my backyard range and boy what a fun little plinker it was!

Going to be introducing my grandson's to the muzzle loading scene shortly and this petite piece should work well for smaller folks!
Go to Top of Page

navc130

710 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2018 :  12:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For all of the years that was advertised in the gun magazines, I have only seen one or two at a gun show. I have never seen one in use at the range or in the woods. Based on other Numrich m/l guns I have seen or owned I would carefully check it over for (1) proper sight alignment, (2) proper sear and safety notch engagement.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page