GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Recommendation on hand gun scope
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlackPowderJam

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  4:08:35 PM  Show Profile
I purchased a 460 revolver and would like to scope it, not 100% if I should go with Leupold as I have done on my riffles. Do you have a recommendation of a scope/brand ? I was thinking a fix scope would be best but maybe I'm incorrect in that thinking. The ranges I would be working in would be under 200 yards. Thank you.

Grasshopper
Advanced Member

12831 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  4:17:54 PM  Show Profile
I have a Smith 460 topped with a Leupold 4x28 and it looks and functions well. Although only about 30 rounds through but .
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
11424 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  4:22:36 PM  Show Profile
I highly recommend the Leupold M8 2X scope. It has served me very well on my Ruger Super Redhawk - http://chuckhawks.com/leupold_2x20_EER_scope.htm

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!

Go to Top of Page

carbine100
Advanced Member

USA
3068 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  4:24:27 PM  Show Profile
I've had good results with Burris pistol scopes. 2-7X on a couple hunting revolvers and a 3-12 on a contender in 7mm-08. High end of the power scale needed to be on sandbags.

Don't re-elect anybody, not even your mother!
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5789 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  4:54:25 PM  Show Profile
It will be interesting to see how the mounts hold up. That pistol is a little lighter than my 45-350 Rem Mag rifle. The guy that had it build by PO Ackley had to go to 10-32 hardened screws because the original 6-48 and the 8x something would shear quickly from the recoil. I don't know if he epoxied it on also. I went to full Lyman peeps and have shot 1000 of rounds with no issues. Although I did splinter the factory laminated stock with 540 grain loads. Most people will only shoot it once.

I had a scoped XP-100. With a neck strap I could do good work, took a while to use to cross hairs moving about that I don't see as much with iron sights.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2009/6/16/sw-460xvr-optics-and-ammo/

My 29's have 1/10" sights adjustable at both ends on a 10 5/8" barrel gallon milk jugs a 200 yards is easy enough, when I'm trained up.
Go to Top of Page

asop
Advanced Member

5616 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  7:17:55 PM  Show Profile
Bert-Right on. Have the same scope on my Ruger 44 mag. (my meat gun). Killed at least 20 deer with that combo.
Go to Top of Page

spirits

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  9:26:06 PM  Show Profile
I used a new at the time Baush & Lomb 2X extended eye relief pistol scope on my Ruger Mk I 22LR pistol and it worked just fine with a good field of view for shooting at 50 yards. Accuracy with mini-mags was about five shoots into less than one inch. I've also used Burris 2X pistol scopes on a single shot 357 mag and a Remington XP100 (way too loud a report in 221 fireball) and they worked well. Never hunted with any of them just target shooting. I also felt strongly that a rifle was a lot better choice for hunting under any conditions.
Go to Top of Page

toad67
Advanced Member

USA
6356 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  11:07:17 PM  Show Profile
I've been plinking around with pistol scopes myself, and plan on putting one on a 460 also. I've always been a Leupold guy, and the variables seem to have a larger objective than a fixed power. I shot a Burris such as carbine 100 mentioned and really really liked it. It had a bigger objective and made the target a bit easier to see. Scopes on pistols are nothing like using one on a rifle....Good luck, and let us know what you choose and how you like it. I'm a little while behind you..
Go to Top of Page

mrbruce
Advanced Member

USA
3530 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2018 :  09:00:52 AM  Show Profile
The 2-7 Burris is as good as it gets, that extra power will come in handy at times..

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
Go to Top of Page

dfletcher
Advanced Member

USA
7844 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2018 :  2:01:54 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BlackPowderJam

I purchased a 460 revolver and would like to scope it, not 100% if I should go with Leupold as I have done on my riffles. Do you have a recommendation of a scope/brand ? I was thinking a fix scope would be best but maybe I'm incorrect in that thinking. The ranges I would be working in would be under 200 yards. Thank you.

I have a bunch of T/C Contender and Encore pistol barrels - 350 Rem Mag, 45/70, 375 H&H, 405 Winchester, 8mm Mauser, etc and some have pretty stiff recoil. Burris, Leupold and Weaver will work well. Inexpensive scopes may do OK on rifles but not on handguns, especially a heavy recoiling one.

I prefer smaller compact, light scopes if a pistol has significant recoil. I think they tend to stay in place better. Use good mounts and maybe resin to help hold in place. Seems to have helped me.

dsf
Go to Top of Page

USA
982 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2018 :  3:01:23 PM  Show Profile
I have the 14" 460. I installed the Burris 3-12 x 32 PA with Warne rings.
Not one problem yet after 200+ rounds
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page