GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 flush swivels
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wolfpack

556 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2018 :  08:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recently purchase a Browning 1885 that has the flush/recessed swivels. I believe I am going to like these. When the sling is removed it's a nice clean, smooth look on the rifle and when installed they seem to snap in place tightly. Has anyone had any experience with these and how do they do when carrying a rifle on your shoulder all day? I would hate to see the 1885 hit the ground.

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5840 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2018 :  11:17:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.browning.com/content/dam/browning/support/owners-manuals/1885manual.pdf

Not sure exactly what you have. There are several aftermarket designs for flush swivels. Quality of materials and installation likely determine field durability. Almost every long gun I own has a sling. At the gun store I have seen some of the flush stuff, never impressed enough for me to want to change over.
Go to Top of Page

Ambrose

2452 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2018 :  12:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe you have the "push & twist" type. I have a Browning BBR with that type. I haven't carried it enough to know how secure they are but they seem like they would be good. They are a bit awkward to attach/detach but that's not usually a hurry-up process anyway.
Go to Top of Page

navc130

715 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2018 :  1:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I installed a set of Herter's flush swivels on my sporterized Jap rifle and hunted with it for twenty years. They worked well and never a problem with them. They were a push-pin design that pushed a pin into a groove in the receiver socket.
Go to Top of Page

wolfpack

556 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2018 :  1:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is correct Ambrose, it is a push and twist type that came standard from the factory on the first 1885's.
Go to Top of Page

notnow

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2018 :  9:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a Steyr SBS with flush sling mounts. I think they're a good idea. I like the "push and twist" release. The thing is, on one of mine, the fore-end, it's collapsed inside. It's loose like there's no back pressure on whatever bears against the sling mount. I figure there's a small plate of sorts with a spring under it and that spring has worked its way up around that small plate allowing reduced pressure and slop.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page