GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 3 Out Of 4 Kids
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dav1965
Advanced Member

USA
11667 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  12:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3 of my 4 kids have very good mechanical skills however my youngest kid should be banned from tools.

He came over the weekend and wanted to change his thermostat on his SUV. I told him that i can not do it because my knees hurt to bad.

He told me thats ok he was doing all the work and that youtube showed him how.

I looked at the stuff he bought and he had the wrong coolant his SUV uses Dexcool and he bought green antifreeze and not the universale kind.

I asked about silicone to keep the gasket in place while you fought to get the cap on without moving the gasket.

I paid someone to do the job for me.

remingtonoaks
Advanced Member

USA
18232 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  12:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always been a good enough mechanic that I never had to use silicone to keep the gasket in place, I guess you're right, one out of four kids aren't mechanically inclined

Edited by - remingtonoaks on 03/12/2018 12:46:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sam06
Advanced Member

14874 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  12:53:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most kids today have no clue how to work on things. You are lucky.

My nephews could not even change oil in a car. No one had taught them. They had idea how to change a flat tire and where the tools were to do it, no on showed them how and they had not read the owners manual for the car.

I spent 2 weekends showing them how to do this stuff. I told them anytime they needed tools or help to drop by(I live 5 miles from them)

They take their cars to jiffy lube to change the oil What a waste.

RLTW

Proud white heteronormative cis-male member of the Kyriarchy

Liberalism: The haunting feeling that someone, somewhere, might be having a good time.
Go to Top of Page

dav1965
Advanced Member

USA
11667 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  12:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thermostat is on the backside of the engine. You have to remove the mass air flow sensor and the hoses that goes with it. You have to loosen the fuel throttle rail to get the thermostat out and a few more parts.

Its a lot easier to just get it tacky and put it where it should go. I would hate to hate to redo it.

I have never seen a thermostat in a worse place. The dealer wanted 700 dollars for labor alone. So i figure they would have about 7 or 8 hours labor for it.

You could remove the drivers side tire and skirt and be close to the thermostat.
Go to Top of Page

wpageabc
Advanced Member

USA
7767 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  12:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best way to learn is by doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Go to Top of Page

steve45
Advanced Member

USA
3213 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  1:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I work at a boat repair shop and many young people are just like that. They order a part and watch a youtube video to see how to install it. Many of them have never done a mechanical repair before. About half the time we get a call asking if they can return the part because the old ones not bad.
Go to Top of Page

kidthatsirish
Advanced Member

USA
6658 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  3:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I understand some folks dogging you tube for how to...i have found it to be pretty useful for some projects....even dealing with cars.

However I have found a Haynes manual and the particular vehicle forums to be most useful...

Try teaching somebody to work on a car when you get the chance. It's good for them....helps them learn the value of hard work, builds their confidence and gives them a sense of pride and ownership that can sometimes make them less likely to mistreat the vehicle by doing stupid things...even if they take their car to a mechinac in the future they will be less likely to get swindled by a bad one should they come across one.

“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return". -- Leonardo DaVinci 1452-1519

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Edited by - kidthatsirish on 03/12/2018 4:01:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

swearengine

USA
1271 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  4:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dav1965

3 of my 4 kids have very good mechanical skills however my youngest kid should be banned from tools.

He came over the weekend and wanted to change his thermostat on his SUV. I told him that i can not do it because my knees hurt to bad.

He told me thats ok he was doing all the work and that youtube showed him how.

I looked at the stuff he bought and he had the wrong coolant his SUV uses Dexcool and he bought green antifreeze and not the universale kind.

I asked about silicone to keep the gasket in place while you fought to get the cap on without moving the gasket.

I paid someone to do the job for me.

I don't understand why he should be banned from tools. He should be commended for tackling this job and encouraged since you did not have the time or inclination to teach him yourself.

Life is hard, harder for some. Augustus Mcrae
Go to Top of Page

WMClark

679 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  4:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave's topic reminds me of my brothers. There are four of us. Three of us can fix just about anything, and work with our hands for a living. But I have one brother who is downright dangerous working with tools of any kind. However, he can push the heck out of a pencil to where he owns three very successful businesses, and holds an elected political office with the county.
Go to Top of Page

dav1965
Advanced Member

USA
11667 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  5:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is outstanding with a computer. He makes great money he just has no talent or wanted to learn anything when he was a kid about maintenance.

He had all the chances in the world to learn things when he was a kid he would rather play with computers.

28 is a long time to wait to learn how to do things.
Go to Top of Page

iceracerx
Advanced Member

USA
8847 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  6:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't even let a sealed tube of RTV anywhere near my engines.

This 'stuff' has worked for me (and many others) for eons

EDIT: Did you 'learn' him about the use and value of Anti-seize compound on steel bolts that go into aluminum manifolds/housings?

Edited by - iceracerx on 03/12/2018 6:19:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ditch-Runner
Advanced Member

USA
16616 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  6:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
give him credit at least he tried and had the drive to go at it more than a lot of kids would ever do

as for the silicone , I have always used it in some applications not always and do not go overboard and have it fill the oil pick up screen from all the excess squeezed out I have seen that done by overzealous use
I will add I wish youtube was around when I was a kid , even now I will use it for different projects ,

both my sons picked up on car repair helped me out from when they were big enough to hold a wrench , the oldest will do needed repairs and maintenance, the youngest he has done all out projects and likes to modifies every thing he drives ,
Go to Top of Page

Hunter Mag
Advanced Member

USA
7144 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  05:49:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam06

Most kids today have no clue how to work on things. You are lucky.

My nephews could not even change oil in a car. No one had taught them. They had idea how to change a flat tire and where the tools were to do it, no on showed them how and they had not read the owners manual for the car.

I spent 2 weekends showing them how to do this stuff. I told them anytime they needed tools or help to drop by(I live 5 miles from them)

They take their cars to jiffy lube to change the oil What a waste.

Yes taking your car to jiffy lube for an oil change is considered "doing it yourself" these days.

Remember this quote... "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

Hunter Mag
Advanced Member

USA
7144 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  05:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dav1965

How are your kids with english?

Remember this quote... "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
32610 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  06:48:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A vast majority of the younger generations today have no idea which end of the screwdriver fits the screw head...or what end of the screw had the head on it.

But ....... they can operate any electronic gizmo where you have to push twenty times in the correct sequence to get what you want on it.

Go figure.

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

United States Army ~ 1966-1968 USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968
Go to Top of Page

discusdad
Advanced Member

USA
10435 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  07:12:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what da hell? i guess none of you ever told your kids its better to work with your mind than to work with your back.
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
32610 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  07:24:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by discusdad

what da hell? i guess none of you ever told your kids its better to work with your mind than to work with your back.

A diverse education is better than just one phase.

Of course, if one wants to pay $150 an hour to have someone else change your spark plugs or $200 an hour to plumb in a faucet.........."money was made to spend"

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

United States Army ~ 1966-1968 USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968
Go to Top of Page

gunnut505
Advanced Member

USA
10233 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  08:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Growing up, I learned to use a matchbook to set the gap on points and plugs, what a distributor is, and how to wire a '53 Chevy truck.
Then how to rebuild a VW motor, then a '47 Knuck engine, then how to put the rest of the Knuck together. Built a sandrail from scratch.

Built a custom '74 Monte Carlo from a junkyard; 454, efi, remote door openers, remote start, roll cage frenched into the body, Bilsteins all around, car did 160mph before the overdrive kicked in! Then I figured out how to do bodywork to fix the high speed dings.

Utoob wasn't around back then, I figured it out by watching mechanics & asking questions at the parts counter.

To survive in an ever-changing world, knowledge is power.

The More You Know......

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID

"It never hurts to help!"--EEEK the Cat
Go to Top of Page

Hunter Mag
Advanced Member

USA
7144 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  12:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by discusdad

what da hell? i guess none of you ever told your kids its better to work with your mind cell phone than to work with your back.

Fixed it for ya, no need to thank me.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page