GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 New Study Links Lead Exposure to Heart Disease
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wild Turkey

1630 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  09:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bullets are not mentioned but in these PC times one never knows who will take what data and start making noise.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/study-links-lead-exposure-heart-223012414.html

quote:
Lead levels in children were much higher until the 1970s, when lead was removed from gasoline and paint. But while lead exposure is considered a risk factor for heart disease and both the CDC and the Environmental Protection Agency have warned that lead is unsafe at any level, this is the first study to quantify just how severe the toll might be—even at the lowest levels, and even decades after exposure.

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.

wpageabc
Advanced Member

USA
7767 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  09:54:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lead paint issue gets me. With all the renovations that have been done to old houses. We are supposed to wear space suits now on pre 1978 homes? It nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
19499 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  09:55:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Rumor has it that elk are highly allergic to 168 grains of it ,,,,,,
Go to Top of Page

HandLoad
Advanced Member

15781 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  10:45:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a poison, Lead is pretty poor. I've had Lead shrapnel in me since the 70s. Not dead yet!

Have developed A-Fib...

Laudate Nomen!

Edited by - HandLoad on 03/13/2018 10:46:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

ChrisStreett

USA
1934 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  11:11:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...have a "time capsule" in my lower back as well. BP 106/60, resting HR 60-65, cholesterol 179, no heart issues at all. (An ex may swear I have no heart period, but that 's another issue).

"...dying ain't much of a living boy..." Josey Wales
Go to Top of Page

jerrywh818

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  12:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lead can be linked to anything. It's like climate change. Everybody has some lead in their system. It's like water causes cancer because everybody who got cancer drank water. Lead is a major money maker for the EPA and the DEQ. They need the money. Canada has no restrictions on lead paint on houses. Only in America

ant dancer

Edited by - jerrywh818 on 03/13/2018 12:24:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alpine
Advanced Member

12250 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  1:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I take these studies with a big grain of salt. Most likely they are out to prove a theory and the devil is in the details on how the "facts" are interpreted. Studies of coffee, wine, salt and you name it have varied over the years.

Your mileage may vary.
“Every time a system is made foolproof - a new class of fool emerges.”
Prod Harris

"If you ain't got pictures, I wasn't there."

"Profanity is the linguistics of the inarticulate."

You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."
Albert Einstein

In a follow-up story, local police are considering charging Mr. Lapointe with felony stupid. The usual additional charge of Ignorant in a Smart Zone will not be applied, due to the rural location of the incident, according to a police spokesman.

"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and Always win." Clint Smith

I come from a State that raises corn and cotton and cock-leburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me.
- Willard D. Vandiver

The burden of proof lies on the plaintiff.
- Legal maxim
"The trouble with Communism is that eventually you run out of other people's money?"
Margaret Thatcher 1976

To what level of stupidity do you want to address?

"This democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
~Ayn Rand, from her book Atlas Shrugged
Go to Top of Page

Ditch-Runner
Advanced Member

USA
16580 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  2:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so my by-pass I can blame on chewing on fishing sinkers as a kid or biting the lead tops off 22's to pour our the powder
not to mention the paint chips
Go to Top of Page

yoshmyster
Advanced Member

17445 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  2:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who here knows/seen first hand someone eating lead paint chips with Elmer's Paste? They talk like lead's right up there with radiation. Hell with Radon all you need to do is open a window. All clear. At my age I'll take Radon soaks at pools. I've seen too much.
Go to Top of Page

HandLoad
Advanced Member

15781 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  3:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been smelting recovered bullets, wheelweights, and X-ray dental foils since 1966 or so...

Shooting and reloading same time period....

I Could been 250 IQ! Whom should I sue?

Laudate Nomen!
Go to Top of Page

gunnut505
Advanced Member

USA
10233 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  9:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yoshmyster

Who here knows/seen first hand someone eating lead paint chips with Elmer's Paste? They talk like lead's right up there with radiation. Hell with Radon all you need to do is open a window. All clear. At my age I'll take Radon soaks at pools. I've seen too much.

Lead paint chips go much better with guacamole or onion dip, not so much with Elmer's.
Radon ain't so bad, it's Radon's Daughters that getcha!
And Radon occurs naturally in EVERYTHING used to build a house, even the dirt under that slab.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID

"It never hurts to help!"--EEEK the Cat
Go to Top of Page

Ricci Wright
Advanced Member

USA
5716 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  09:20:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Asbestosis is pretty much gone and lead is the cash cow for osha and epa. Talk to shooting range operators and they will tell you about the problems dealing with osha and epa.

"Fight like the third monkey on the ramp of Noah's Ark"
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
32520 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  10:26:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wpageabc

The lead paint issue gets me. With all the renovations that have been done to old houses. We are supposed to wear space suits now on pre 1978 homes? It nuts.

Because someone is making a huge amount of $$ from the program.

Just follow the money.

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

United States Army ~ 1966-1968 USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968
Go to Top of Page

serf
Anti Gun Lib

7384 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  11:01:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is The Achille's heel for small arms ammunition and will be a back door to limiting the right to shoot this metal in any form one day.

Of course, I am will be labeled here for stating a fact,you can either deny it or accept it for it's coming your way sooner than later.

serf

http://www.lead.org.au/lanv1n2/lanv1n2-8.html

It is known that lead accumulates in the soil, particularly soil with a high organic content (US EPA 1986). Lead deposited on the ground is transferred to the upper layers of the soil surface, where it may be retained for many years (up to 2000 years). In undisturbed ecosystems, organic matter in the upper layer of soil surface retains atmospheric lead. In cultivated soils, this lead is mixed with soil to a depth of 25C1ll (i.e., within the root zone). Atmospheric lead in the soil will continue to move into the micro-organism and grazing food chains, until an equilibrium is reached.

Given the chemistry of lead in soil, the US EPA (1986) suggests that the uneven distribution of lead in ecosystems can displace other metals from the binding sites on the organic matter. It may hinder the chem­ical breakdown of inorganic soil fragments and lead in the soil may become more soluble, thus being more readily available to be taken up by plants.
Go to Top of Page

Brookwood
Advanced Member

USA
5281 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  1:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We all cannot forget that lead is a dense metal that provides safety from radiation. It also shields us from unwanted scanning from a world that wants to know our business.

Even Superman was safe from green Krytonite when it was housed in a lead box!

The powers that be are trying their darndest to ensure all are wearing tin foil hats and not the REAL lead hats that actually work!

Signed.....the ghost of Steven Hawking
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
46935 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  8:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gunnut505

quote:
Originally posted by yoshmyster

Lead paint chips go much better with guacamole or onion dip, not so much with Elmer's.
Radon ain't so bad, it's Radon's Daughters that getcha!
And Radon occurs naturally in EVERYTHING used to build a house, even the dirt under that slab.

505 in most areas of the country they have a basement under the house not a slab. But then they don't have nice dry soil under there like we do. Wonder why no one knows how to build a basement here.

~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets Founding Member ~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page