GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Thinking about buying a Dodge Charger Hellcat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Warbirds
Advanced Member

USA
13646 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  11:55:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I told the wife next year I was going to buy a new car- I have been quite modest with cars since I’ve been married and she told me I could buy “any car I want” obviously within the family budget.

I’ve looked around and think the Dodge Charger Hellcat or the Charger Scat Pack is the way to go.

The Scat pack has less HP and the price is more reasonable- but they both seem packed with personality.

I wouldn’t be getting rid of my truck or my Expedition so this could be a car just for nice days, fun trips etc.

Does anyone here own a Hellcat? Tacky pic stolen from imgur.

"I couldn't possibly care less. Im actually trying to care less and just can't get there." - Kevd18

Edited by - Warbirds on 03/13/2018 11:58:01 PM

Ricci Wright
Advanced Member

USA
5716 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  12:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess it would depend what you’re planning to do with it.

"Fight like the third monkey on the ramp of Noah's Ark"
Go to Top of Page

gjshaw
Advanced Member

9470 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  12:15:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a nice grocery getter or a chic magnet.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
Go to Top of Page

remingtonoaks
Advanced Member

USA
18168 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  12:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last summer I almost about a Hellcat, but it was the Challenger. And then I read the reviews on it and they are a pile of junk. so I changed my mind

The whole Dodge lineup for the last few years have been junk according to the reviews about how many problems they have.

But who knows they could have got it all cleared up this year. If they did, then I might just buy a Challenger Hellcat. But I don't want fun car that will be in the shop all the time... That just doesn't seem to be a fun time to me

But like I said, if they ever get their problems figured out. I'll buy one

Edited by - remingtonoaks on 03/14/2018 12:50:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dads3040
Advanced Member

USA
13716 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  01:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have yet to see one of the so-called Modern Mopar Muscle Cars that could handle the horsepower. Dodge has long been able to crank out serious power. They have never learned to design a suspension or chassis to match.

The Object in Life is not to be with the Majority, but Rather to Avoid finding Oneself in the Ranks of the Insane. Marcus Aurelius
Go to Top of Page

jimdeere
Advanced Member

USA
16825 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  04:47:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“Does anyone here own a Hellcat?”
Not me. Wife said “No!”

“The ungodly are ...like the chaff which the wind driveth away.

Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment...”
Go to Top of Page

wpageabc
Advanced Member

USA
7767 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  04:49:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Go to Top of Page

shilowar
Advanced Member

USA
38344 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  04:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My PD has had a terrible experience with our Chargers. We are currently phasing them out for Fords. We've had three where the radiator fans grenaded and took out the radiators costing $1900 each time to repair. These cars are 2013s with less than 50K miles. They eat brake rotors, have had blend door actuator issues.

If you buy one, buy an extended warranty. You'll find that Dodge has the most expensive extended warranty on the market, likely due to mechanical problems.
Go to Top of Page

Krony

USA
276 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  07:52:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have owned one Chrysler product and will never again due to reliability issues. Fiat buying them sealed the deal for me. They seem cheap for the money but you pay in the long run.
Go to Top of Page

SG
Advanced Member

USA
6632 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  08:02:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 500lb diet would do them wonders. They are some heavy pigs.

quote:
Originally posted by Dads3040

I have yet to see one of the so-called Modern Mopar Muscle Cars that could handle the horsepower. Dodge has long been able to crank out serious power. They have never learned to design a suspension or chassis to match.

Go to Top of Page

Spider7115

USA
27843 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  08:16:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimdeere

“Does anyone here own a Hellcat?”
Not me. Wife said “No!”

It looks like you're already married to a Hellcat.

-"SPIDER"

ALLAH KA-BAR!

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

droptop
Advanced Member

USA
7494 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  08:56:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a 4 door so driving around with the family on "nice" days would be convenient. Plus if someone in the back had to pee they could make a quick exit.

Also easier to remove the McDonalds hamburger wrappers, soft drink cupps, candy and clean the sticky finger prints.
Go to Top of Page

Big Sky Redneck
Advanced Member

Kuwait
17258 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  09:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Friend of mine bought a smurf blue Hellcat Challenger about a year ago, he loves it but is scared of the red key. Said the plain key, car runs great and is tons of fun but the red key unleashes some serious whoopass. Not for novices or those unfamiliar how to handle high horsepower, the car will hurt you if you can’t handle it.
Go to Top of Page

rambo rebel
Advanced Member

3652 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  1:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my 02 would be to pick a car from the past you like, example; I've had a bunch of classics in my day but I never owned a chevelle unless you count the 79 baby Malibu.

I found a couple of solid 68's for less than 10k that need restoring.

7500 would buy one.
then I'd take it to my mechanic and have him strip all mechanical components (front end, rear end, motor, and trans)
call summit or other co. and buy a 502 big block and 400 tranny, and all the hochkis(sp?) suspention components and have those put in, get interior redone to like new, then off to the paint shop for a quality paint job.

I'd modernize it with a floor mount gps/sterio/back up cam set up and put the best alarm system you can get in it.

I'd end up with 40ish in it but it would by worth 35k plus anytime I decided to sell it, whereas a new hellcat charger would drop 10k when you pull out of the lot. and 5-10 years later it would only be worth 10-15k. the chevelle? 10 years later it might bring more than you put in it if it was taken care of and you had it done in the right colors like blue/black or red/black. but you'd always get 30-35k for it.

there's only one hope for this world. 3:16

Even IF there is no God, what if we just lived our lives as if there were?

Pray is if everything depends on God but work as if everything depends on you.

If the people who think about changing the world would think about changing themselves, they might accomplish both.
Go to Top of Page

shooting42
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  8:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in the market for a new car last year and wanted something with four doors, rear wheel drive with some HP. I have owned Dodge products in the past and all I can say is never again.

So I bought a 2017 Chevy SS sedan.

The car is actually a Holden Commodore imported from Australia and rebadged as a Chevy SS.

It's rear wheel drive has a 6.2 liter LS3 v-8 (415hp). Also has Brembo brakes, Magnetic Ride Control dampers, and 19-inch forged aluminum wheels with 275/35R Z tires.

2017 was the last year for this car because Holden, the Australian subsidiary of General Motors, will be shuttering its factory down under in October. It has only been imported to the US for 3 years starting in 2014.

The car is fast and handles like a dream for a 4 door sedan. Not as fast as a Corvette, but fast none the less.

Edited by - shooting42 on 03/15/2018 8:08:35 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page