GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Continental Terrain Contact A/T Tires
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sig220_Ruger77
Advanced Member

USA
10522 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  03:24:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have/run these tires? They are made in the USA, have a tread depth of 12/32", grade at an "A" for both traction and temperature ratings, weigh close to my factory tires, and have a 60,000 mile treadwear warranty.

I'm going to purchase a new set of tires this summer, for my Jeep Renegade. There aren't a lot of choices in A/T tires that fit this vehicle. The stock size is 215/60/17.

My criteria: Must be an A/T style tire, preferably made in the USA, and at least 12/32 tread depth.

Jon

Trusted GunBroker forum moderator and all around good guy, montanajoe on Glock pistols...."yes, I admit, they do make for a nice picture."

"You all say what ever you want about Glocks. When this old world ends there will be cock roaches climbing over Ak's and Glocks." -- Ricci Wright

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=927910

20 gauge, .22LR, .25 Auto, 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .223(5.56), .22-250, .277 Wolverine, .308 Winchester

Edited by - Sig220_Ruger77 on 03/14/2018 03:24:48 AM

remingtonoaks
Advanced Member

USA
18199 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  03:39:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That work really good for you. They will Outlast most tires, I myself don't like their lack of aggressiveness. But then again I do a lot of hunting and camping.

But if you're driving mostly on the freeway what some off-road driving, they will work good for you.

As a side note, how's your athlete's foot doing?
Go to Top of Page

Sig220_Ruger77
Advanced Member

USA
10522 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  03:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by remingtonoaks

That work really good for you. They will Outlast most tires, I myself don't like their lack of aggressiveness. But then again I do a lot of hunting and camping.

But if you're driving mostly on the freeway what some off-road driving, they will work good for you.

As a side note, how's your athlete's foot doing?

The only thing that they lack from looking at photos of them anyways, is the aggressive sidewall that say the BFG AT/KO or Yokohama Geolander A/T-S have. That being said, I put mostly highway miles on(like you mentioned) with the occasional need to go off the beaten path for hunting and camping. I need something that holds air well in the cold and handles well in the snow.

My athlete's foot is doing pretty good I think. I've gotten the itching/burning to almost completely disappear. I am using the Tinactin, baby powder in my shoes, washing it thoroughly every day, and trying to switch socks mid-shift. I also bought new socks and threw all my old ones out. Thanks for asking.

Jon

Trusted GunBroker forum moderator and all around good guy, montanajoe on Glock pistols...."yes, I admit, they do make for a nice picture."

"You all say what ever you want about Glocks. When this old world ends there will be cock roaches climbing over Ak's and Glocks." -- Ricci Wright

20 gauge, .22LR, .25 Auto, 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .223(5.56), .22-250, .277 Wolverine, .308 Winchester

Edited by - Sig220_Ruger77 on 03/14/2018 03:53:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

shilowar
Advanced Member

USA
38360 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  04:50:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cooper Discoverer AT3s....Made in USA..quiet, good wet traction, reviewed for good tread wear and mileage. I've had two sets on two different vehicles. They are priced well and get excellent reviews.

Go to Top of Page

wpageabc
Advanced Member

USA
7767 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  05:43:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those look like good all terrain lugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
42516 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  07:08:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shilowar

Cooper Discoverer AT3s....Made in USA..quiet, good wet traction, reviewed for good tread wear and mileage. I've had two sets on two different vehicles. They are priced well and get excellent reviews.

Same set on my GMC. Seems to have great off road traction. Do not generate much noise on road. My Car is louder.
Go to Top of Page

Mobuck
Advanced Member

11011 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  07:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
12/32????????????
That's 1/2 wore out. Guess it would be OK for highway use.

Mobuck<BR>
Go to Top of Page

Cubslover
Advanced Member

USA
16600 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  09:14:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a big fan of the Yokohama Geolandar AT-S I ran on my 4-Runner. Spent as much time off road as on-road.

They have a plant in Mississippi, but I'm not sure if the Geolandar is manufactured here, might just be Commercial tires...

This webpage is almost a year old, but will help give you other options.

https://www.utires.com/articles/tires-made-usa-american-foreign-brands/

Cooper is another choice I'd recommend.

"Half of the lies they tell about me aren't true"

Click here to put a bid on my Yugo monster.

"Some people are alive, only because it's illegal to kill them"

Edited by - Cubslover on 03/14/2018 09:15:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
46338 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  10:48:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grumpygy

quote:

Same set on my GMC. Seems to have great off road traction. Do not generate much noise on road. My Car is louder.

I have been thinking of how well the Cooper performs as compared to the much more expensive Michelin Defender LTX M/S in terms of road noise, smooth ride, and which tire might have a stiffer sidewall. Any ideas here, shilo and Gy?

What's next

Some favorite quotes:

"No other proof, however, is needed than the undeniable fact that at any period of the war from its beginning to near its close the South could have saved slavery by simply laying down its arms and returning to the Union."
--- Major General John B. Gordon, from his book, Causes of the War of Northern Aggression .

“Abe, climb down from Mt. Rushmore, and vacate the penny. Your days in the pantheon are over, thanks to the scholarship and courage of Thomas J. DiLorenzo.” — Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.

Go to Top of Page

Sig220_Ruger77
Advanced Member

USA
10522 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  1:15:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd love to put those Cooper AT3's on, but as of right now, they don't offer them in a size that works for my vehicle. I have my fingers crossed that will change by then. I've had them on 2 vehicles and they are about perfect for what I use them for.

Jon

Go to Top of Page

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
25585 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  1:41:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Conti's are one of my three favorite brands, but I've always used German made Continentals.

Still, I would give the American made ones a chance.

A man who says he has never been scared is either lying or else he's never been anywhere or done anything
Sackett

A man who has not known many women cannot appreciate the value of one. The Walking Drum

A man's success he can share with others, his troubles are his own. Comstock Lode

A ship does not sail with yesterdays wind. The Walking Drum

Go to Top of Page

shilowar
Advanced Member

USA
38360 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  4:50:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kimi

quote:

quote:

I have been thinking of how well the Cooper performs as compared to the much more expensive Michelin Defender LTX M/S in terms of road noise, smooth ride, and which tire might have a stiffer sidewall. Any ideas here, shilo and Gy?

No idea on the Defender...other than Michelins and BFGs are quite a bit more pricey...about $150-$200 more for a set in my tire size. Coopers get good reviews and I am pleased with them, especially for the price.

Edited by - shilowar on 03/14/2018 4:50:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
46338 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  6:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by kimi

quote:

quote:

No idea on the Defender...other than Michelins and BFGs are quite a bit more pricey...about $150-$200 more for a set in my tire size. Coopers get good reviews and I am pleased with them, especially for the price.

Thank you!!!!!!!!

What's next

Some favorite quotes:

"No other proof, however, is needed than the undeniable fact that at any period of the war from its beginning to near its close the South could have saved slavery by simply laying down its arms and returning to the Union."
--- Major General John B. Gordon, from his book, Causes of the War of Northern Aggression .

“Abe, climb down from Mt. Rushmore, and vacate the penny. Your days in the pantheon are over, thanks to the scholarship and courage of Thomas J. DiLorenzo.” — Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page