In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

dying

pinky-1pinky-1 Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in US Military Veteran Forum
hey guys an gals i dont have but very little burial insuranse, can i be creamated and still have full military service, i have to be thinking of my family, i am vietnam era vet-- thanks to all my brothers

Comments

• pinky-1pinky-1 Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mabey i,m on wrong post sorry
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, you can still have a military service.

My wife and I both decided on cremation. I didn't want to worry about some hole in the ground somewhere with a headstone, so since I'm a veteran (Vietnam) we decided that our cremains would be placed at the Dallas-Fort Worth National Cemetery, at no cost, either in ground with a flat marker or in the above ground columbarium wall!

Obviously the spouse of a vet doesn't get a military funeral, but they will share your choice of burial places.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last year, I had the sad duty of helping bury the son of my best friend. Young man I had known since he was 12 died on active duty. He was cremated, burial in the Virginia Veteran's Cemetery. Honor guard from Ft. Lee VA (thank you very much, gentlemen) Flag and firing detail.

We videotaped the funeral. His 18 month old son will have no memories of his dad but that recording and a flag.

And welcome home, bro.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For burial at sea cremation is a requirement.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    Yes, you can still have a military service.

My wife and I both decided on cremation. I didn't want to worry about some hole in the ground somewhere with a headstone, so since I'm a veteran (Vietnam) we decided that our cremains would be placed at the Dallas-Fort Worth National Cemetery, at no cost, either in ground with a flat marker or in the above ground columbarium wall!

Obviously the spouse of a vet doesn't get a military funeral, but they will share your choice of burial places.What hoops must be jumped thru to be buried in a Veterans National Cemetery?Actually, none. Our funeral planner asked if I was a veteran and when I said yes, he went over the options that were available to veterans; burial in a National Cemetery being one of them.

When we made arrangements at our funeral home and prepaid for our funerals, essentially our cremation and a memorial type service at the funeral home, I provided a copy of my DD-214 and identified the National Cemetery of my choice; they took care of all of the paperwork. So, the funeral home set it up, but spaces are not reserved until the veteran or spouse actually passes away and it is dependent on spaces being available at that time. That shouldn't be a problem in our case, but if no more spaces were available, we'd simply choose another National Cemetery. We are planning a trip over to Dallas/Fort Worth next month and we'll visit the National Cemetery and talk to the folks over there about their processes.

Added: Here is an excerpt from the Dallas-Fort Worth National Cemetery Website.

ELIGIBILITY

Burial in a national cemetery is open to all members of the armed forces who have met a minimum active duty service requirement and were discharged under conditions other than dishonorable. A Veteran's spouse, widow or widower, minor dependent children, and under certain conditions, unmarried adult children with disabilities may also be eligible for burial. Eligible spouses and children may be buried even if they predecease the Veteran. Members of the reserve components of the armed forces who die while on active duty or who die while on training duty, or were eligible for retired pay, may also be eligible for burial. For more information visit our eligibility web page.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!