In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need Status advice.....

bmccann115bmccann115 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited July 2017 in US Military Veteran Forum
Long story, in 1969 I failed a Navy physical (fairly recent back surgery), I then went to the Air Force and was accepted. After 4 weeks at Lackland AFB the surgery developed complications. They kept me in the base hospital for awhile but then, against my wishes, gave me an honorable discharge (rank Airman Basic)for medical reasons.

I have a DD214 but always wonder, would other guys who served their full tour of duty consider me a veteran? I never know whether to stand up when someone asks if there are any veterans in the audience.

I love this country and our flag but would never want to insult the guys who were able to complete their service. I'm not looking for any benefits , just wondering, since I didn't head for Canada and really did try to serve, if I have the right to consider myself a vet. Thanks,

Bob McCann

Comments

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Non-legal definition of a veteran from me:

Anyone that raised their right hand, said "I do" and took one step forward. From that moment on. Some folks served different periods of time, different duties.
  • bmccann115bmccann115 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the response, I would really appreciate input from a few more vets out there...

Bob
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good Morning bmccann115!
    I concur completely with the opinions/thoughts/feelings of the Gentlemen that have posted to your question.
    Thank you for your service, as many state.
    Have a great week. Take care. The best to you.