In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lake Ozark Fishing

Comments

• Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Woo we the fishing has been pretty good here at Lake of the Ozarks. Been catching them in about 25 foot of water draging the turd. The turg is a Shaker head and a zoom mag finess worm. Try it you will like it . The fish are hitting real light but you can catch some really good ones if you consentrate and dont sleep at the reel. Good fising to all. Be careful out there.
  • 317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Liv2Fish good to see you are catching them. We have been battling constant rain here lately, prior to that I had a nasty cold and could not get out. As a result my honey hole lay unmolested for 2 weeks or so. Well, I finally got to go out last night. I snuck out between rainstorms, I had an itch to fish top water, it paid off. The water was kind of choppy, which made it hard to see my Hula Popper. I got 2 smaller guys, both 14" or so, and kept them for lunch or whatever. The rain started rolling in harder and I announced my LAST CAST! Kind of a plea to the fish gods. Well, they were listening, about 15 feet from shore I stuck a pig of a fish. Got him on shore, he was a toad, about 19" and a good 4.5-5 pounds. Tonight we are having bass tacos, and the rest of the meat is in the freezer. I normally catch and release, in fact, these 3 were my first kept fish of the year.

Out of curiosity, I examined the stomache of the larger one, it was packed full of small, aquatic snails!? I don't have a snail pattern fly, will have to catch them however I can. I will give the TURD a try
    edited November -1
    317 are you sure they were snails not crawfish parts? We dont really have a snail population here I guess they eat what they can find. I am glad you caught them I sucked in the local good old boy tournament last night. Yes I admit it I sucked. I could see them I just could not get them to bite.
    Fish tacos yum crappie sure would be better filler.
    edited November -1
    Liv2Fish I am about 95% sure, I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I've noticed big snails before out there, I know they are semi-aquatic, but I was still surprised to find he'd been feeding on them. This was a shallow, grassy section of the lake also. There are also a lot of frogs and crayfish, as well as baitfish. I also found some small freshwater mollusks/bi-valve shells. I am not sure what specie they are, the were all small, about 1/2" diameter.
    edited November -1
    Well I got back out for a couple hours each night, I can only get away for maybe 2 hours, between work, chores etc. Caught a okay walleye, and missed a nice bass the first night. Second night, missed another nice bass and caught one small one, 14" or so. Made fish cakes last night, use your favorite crab-cake recipe and substitute flaked bass or walleye, blue-gill, whatever. Very tasty. How is it on LOTO?
    edited November -1
    Good fishing here at Lake of the Ozarks. I am still catching them deep on the shaky head. Had a trip this morning and they caught several good ones. They had a hard time feeling the bite. Biggest one today was about 4.5 lbs..
    edited November -1
    Been fishing way more than a man should but I guess someone has to do it. Catching fish but not as good as I would like but that is fishing. Been catching them on a 10inch worm and that is about it. Got some good press the past few weeks. I had a full page last Sunday in the Kansas City Star newspaper and did a radio show with the Outdoor Guys ESPN radio out of KC too. Nothing is better that free press.
    Have a great day and take a kid fishing... Speaking of kids fishing I had Matt Stearns from up north come and fish with me this past week . Good Kid Good fisherman It is great to know that kids still love to fish.
    edited November -1
    Caught a few good ones this past week. The water temp here is now 87 and the pleasure crafts are thick. Wish they would open a jet ski season that sure would be fun.
    edited November -1
    Well, I got back out for a couple hours last night. We had some hot as hell weather for a week, and it seemed to have shut down the fish for a bit. Last night was nice, it was about 65 and partly cloudy, with a light breeze. I went out fishing top water again. The lake level is slowly dropping, so I was able to get to some areas I cannot access normally by foot. I landed 3, one small, one nicer one, about 16-17", and one big boy, about 20". Sure feels good seeing that Hula-Popper go under and hearing that SLURP! Also spotted a huge snapping turtle, all in all it was a good day.

LIV2FISH glad to see you are still hitting them
    edited November -1
    That is what it is all about enjoying the outdoors. Saturday off for me which is pretty unusual and the good thing is that it is raining. Looks like a good fishing day for me so I am out of here.
    Ed
    edited November -1
    Well I went out again yesterday, exploring a new section of the lake. This area is far removed from anything resembling easy access. The area I normally fish has been used over the years, there are a lot of trails, old logging roads, etc. which make it easy. Not this area. If you have ever been in the NE, you might know what I mean. Thick as jungle brush, large banks of thorn-bushes, large, blown-over trees, heavy vegetation in general. I was getting pretty frustrated having to backtrack and bushwhack my way in. On top of that, I didn't even catch any fish, although I had a nice swim when I snagged my favorite popper and had to get it back. Oh well, I did scout some new areas for the upcoming deer season, and found a steep drop-off I will explore next time.

I also went out for awhile a few nights ago. I was meeting some friends, and we had a nice BBQ/bonfire/beer drinking session. I showed them my secret spot, and they proceeded to assault it horribly. There is no finesse with those guys. Of course they skunked out, while I had only 1, about 16". It worked to my advantage, since I always talk about this spot. Now they refuse to believe I actually catch fish there, that I was BSing them all the while. Oh well. Hope everyone else out there is tying into them. Fish on!
    edited November -1
    Wow! Rained out this morning. I love to fish in the rain but clients dont. Went out before the rain and caught 2 Keepers real quick then the rain came . It was raining and blowing not real safe to be out. Keepers are bass over 15 inches long here at Lake of the Ozarks. I really wish would of went back out but my wife has other plans for me. Oh well I get to fish lots better help the princess.

Good Fishing
    Ed
    www.bigedsguideservice
    edited November -1
    Wow i just noticed that this Blog has had over 50000 views over the past few years.. I never thought that it would last this long but it has kind of been a journal of the fishing here at Lake Of the Ozarks. during this time I have never posted a picture of a fish now I have to fess up I have never gone fishing in my life. All of these years I have sat in my chair dreaming of going fishing but have never made it on a lake. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that is not true I fish every day and I am a full time guide on Lake of the Ozarks. I have never posted a picture on here welll it is because I can't fiqure out how to do it. Good at fishing bad at computers real bad. The past few years I have had felt like I have met some very nioce people and hope someday to mee them in person.
    Getting ready to meet some clients today for a fun day on the lake. However it is raining cats and dogs. How fun can that be I have the raingear they will he wet from one end to another. No the y wont as they just sent me a text canceling their trip. Dang I got up at 4 for nothing better go fishing just for fun then .

Everyone have a great time go fishing keep what you need release the rest. I always practice catch and release on bass but those crappie sure taste good in the spring time.Be careful out there!

Thanks for reading this stuff. I do enjoy what I do www.bigedsguideservice.com
    www.bassandbaskets.com
    edited November -1
    Tough times here at the lake .. Fishing tougher than a two dollar steak. The bass have seen big worms and I think they have got wise. It was a 100 degrees here today and the water temp is in the 90s. The lake is crazy as this is the last blast for most of the people. Soon we will have the lake back to ourself and the fish will start biting again. Late Sept the whites usually start and that will go until mid Nov. Fun city those things pull your string and it is not hard to catch 25 a night Good times for all. Everyone have a safe weekend and if you get the chance go out and catch a few ..

Good Fishing
    Big Ed
    edited November -1
    Tough times here at the lake .. Fishing tougher than a two dollar steak. The bass have seen big worms and I think they have got wise. It was a 100 degrees here today and the water temp is in the 90s. The lake is crazy as this is the last blast for most of the people. Soon we will have the lake back to ourself and the fish will start biting again. Late Sept the whites usually start and that will go until mid Nov. Fun city those things pull your string and it is not hard to catch 25 a night Good times for all. Everyone have a safe weekend and if you get the chance go out and catch a few ..

Good Fishing
    Big Ed
    edited November -1

Good Fishing
    Big Ed
    edited November -1
    I keep thinking tomorrow is going to be the day. Guide trips have slowed down but the fishing has too. It wont be long until the fish start chasing shad and things will pick up. Been catching fish but not the big ones. There was a BFL tournament here at the lake today and there was only one guy that weighed in over a twenty pound sack. Most of the time if you don't have over 20 you might as well not weigh in. That is tough fishing WOW. Well i have been enjoying the down time. It will pick up in a few weeks for a month or so. Then I get to fish when I want and how I want. Bummer is I dont get paid!

Good Fishing
    Big Ed
    edited November -1
    I keep thinking tomorrow is going to be the day. Guide trips have slowed down but the fishing has too. It wont be long until the fish start chasing shad and things will pick up. Been catching fish but not the big ones. There was a BFL tournament here at the lake today and there was only one guy that weighed in over a twenty pound sack. Most of the time if you don't have over 20 you might as well not weigh in. That is tough fishing WOW. Well i have been enjoying the down time. It will pick up in a few weeks for a month or so. Then I get to fish when I want and how I want. Bummer is I dont get paid!

Good Fishing
    Big Ed
    edited November -1
    Fishing not much better. You can catch dinks but you really have to work hard to catch a big one. Time is getting right we will have a good fall fishing I am sure but it is just like the dog days of summer now. This time of the year you just never know what you are going to get. That again is why it is called fishing not catching. Hope the fish in your area are biting. good fishing!
    edited November -1
    Fishing here at the lake has been pretty slow. The fish can be caught but most are small right now.. Looking out at the lake shad are on the surface all zillion of them and the bass are full as ticks. It is not uncommon to catch a bass and it spit shad out in your boat. The current water temp is in the mid 70s and it wont be long until the fish go on the fall feed. I am sure looking forward for that to happen. Good luck got to get ready for a 8am trip.
    Good fishing!
    edited November -1
    Wow the fishing has been tough here. Thank god I was out of town for a week because it seems that the fish are having a real case of lock jaw. The water temp is perfect it in the mid 60s and you would think that the fish would go on the fall feed. Norally this time of the year we are smacking the white bass but I have only caught a few this year. I still think that we have way to many small shad that make it easy for the bass to feed. Good for the bass bad for the fisherman. Raining cats and dogs this morning so in the house I stay. My trip for today got canceled and there is no reason to get wet...... Think I will put on my rainsuit and make a few cast.
    edited November -1
    Fishing is still tough here at the lake . The water temp is in the low 60s and clear. I sure wish things will change I need to catch some big ones. i got selected to serve Jury duty this week coming up so there goes this week fishing. I have guide trips scheduled but they dont seem to care. All the people that are laid off and I am self employed and have to give work away. Oh well still proud to be American!
    edited November -1
    Good morning everyone.. First and foremost I would like to thank from the bottom of my heart all of the men and woman that have served in our country's military. Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! I know I am a day late but people in the service should be remembered everyday.

The fishing yesterday was just the same as it has been for the past few weeks... You can catch dinks but the bigger fish are just not wanting to eat my bait. Normally this time of the year the fishing is great. White Bass , Hybrids, Crappie, and Black Bass are eating good. i don't know what is up but it is not tjust this lake but all of the big lakes are are fishing tough. It must be a combo of the weather and the bait fish population. The fall funk is here and in full swing. Yesterday I fished in short sleeves today a snowmobile suit would be in order. Welcome to the midwest. Oh well the lake has no ice and the boat has a full tank of gas ready to go.. I have jury duty this week and deer season next week so oh well. I am sure that I will have a little fishing time sometime this week. My wife just said the lake looks cold today. Are you going fishing before you go to jury duty. Does she think I am stupid or something? You know she does know me pretty good.

Good Fishing
    Ed
    www.bassandbaskets.com
    www.bigedsguideservice.com
    edited November -1
    The weather is cold but the fishing is hot hot hot. The water temp finally got into the low 50s and somebody must of turned the lets eat sign on. Caught fish last night better than I have in months. OMG it was great. Can't wait to get out again this evening.

Everyone have a great Thanksgiving!

Big Ed
    edited November -1
    Wow Winter came early and fast. Fished yesterday the air temp was 25 but the water temp is 47.6. The fish were not biting but it was better than sitting on the couch and doing nothing. I try to get out as much as possible as you never know when it will freeze up. I really think we are in for a long cold winter. Guys I know ice fishing has to be a good time but I have never really done it. Sitting in one of those shacks with a heater has to be a good time. It does get cold when it is cold and you want to cross the lake in a boat. Oh what us fisherman will do just to have a little fun!
  • bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Merry Christmas Big Ed
    SET THE HOOK!!!
    Looking forward to your post in 2014
    edited November -1
    Been a little on the cool side but the lake is still ice free. The crappie bite is good once you find them. Looking with a side finder speeds things up for sure . If you don't see them don't fish there.Bass bite is good some days but good and slow others..... Water temp is in the upper 40s and the lake is clear.

Fishing you all a Merry Christmas!
    edited November -1
    Happy New Year All! Finished the 2013 fishing season with a bang. Went yesterday for a couple of hours and caught a limit of big crappie and 4 keeper bass. Hope 2014 starts out good! Best to you all in 2014 !!!
    edited November -1
    It's cold out there but the fish are biting. The water temp here today was in the upper 30s but the crappie didn't seem to mind. i caught a limit in about 2 hours of big old slabs. At first I caught them on a suspending jerk bait but when the action slowed I started to fish a jig. Good choice as I caught 9 real good ones on about a dozen cast. I was using a Bobby Garland Slab Slayer in Blue Ice. The seemed to like it about 12 feed deep in 25 foot of water over the top of a brush pile. All of the crappie were over 12 inches long and were fat as frogs. Only dumb move of the day was I threw them back in. Tomorrow will be eat fish day. The air temp was a balmy 34 and the lake is clear. We have ice about 2 inches thick in the backs of some of the coves but I was lucky to get my boat out to go.
    Have a good day and I hope you all get a chance to go catch them.
    Ed
    edited November -1
    Lake Ozark is still frozen and this is the longest I have ever seen it froze. Not thick enough to got on it but it is hard all over. We have some good weather predicted next week so hopefully it will clear soon. Spring is just around the corner!
    edited November -1
    Big Ed...When one licks your bait are you sposed to push or pull? It has been so long I can't remember!
    edited November -1
    Big Bill When in doubt yank it out.. Fishing here is good at all... especially for me it is hard to use a bass boat on frozen water. Oh well it wont be long spring is just a few short weeks away.

Good fishing all!
    edited November -1
    Fishing is starting to pick up here at the lake. Some guys not this guy are catching crappie about as fast as you can reel them in. Now this is hear say but from some pretty good sources. However some fisherman lie terrible and I will leave it at that. Been catching some pretty good bass but you have to fish hard to do that too. Local tournament weights for 5 fish is close to 20 lbs. That is down from the normal but it will get better as the water warms more. Water temp is in the low 40s and the lake is clear.. If you got some time to sneak away for a little fishing do it the first few weeks of April i think you will get them.
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Liv2Fish
    Fishing is starting to pick up here at the lake. Some guys not this guy are catching crappie about as fast as you can reel them in. Now this is hear say but from some pretty good sources. However some fisherman lie terrible and I will leave it at that. Been catching some pretty good bass but you have to fish hard to do that too. Local tournament weights for 5 fish is close to 20 lbs. That is down from the normal but it will get better as the water warms more. Water temp is in the low 40s and the lake is clear.. If you got some time to sneak away for a little fishing do it the first few weeks of April i think you will get them.

[;)]
    edited November -1
    Good morning everyone. The weather is finally starting to straighten out but it is windy . I have always said that wind is your friend but it is blowing the white off the whitecaps. Hopefully it will calms down and I can get out today. Love to load up and head south for a few days but time and money says noooooo gooooo . Oh well there is always another day!
    Good Fishing!
    Ed
    edited November -1
    Flat smacked the crappie yesterday. It sure was a good time ended up bring home a dozen for the frying pan and I am sure that they will be tasty for sure. This is the best time and the only time that i ever catch fish but the super cold water makes those crappie really taste good.Nothing beats them that is for sure. Was going to go again today but a weather change hit and it is 30 and the wing is blowing about the same. I am tired of winter. it is going to be in the 70s this weekend so at least my people will have good weather.

Good fishing all!
    Ed
    edited November -1
    Been fishing just about every day now that the weather is getting better. The crappie fishing has ben great but the bass fishing is the worst that I have ever seen it for spring. I have no idea why but I sure hope it changes quick. The water temp is in the low 50s now and the lake is clear.
    Good fishing to all!
    Big Ed

Hey anybody in the Kansas City area . Next week on the Outdoors guys radio show at 4pm Thursday I am taking Brian and Ken fishing and the radio show will be broadcast from my house. So listen in or call in and say hey.
    edited November -1
    Mr. Ed, Are you too busy setting the hook? Are you a lizard or a spinner bait? Orange belly Rogue? Hope you are tearing them up!
    edited November -1
    Bigbill been fishing a lot but not catching them real good. It is the slowest that I have ever seen it here at the lake. I really don't know what to think about all of it as far as I am a big spinnerbait fan like those big blades and like to slow roll it. As far as Rogue I like a orange belly but I like a yellow top try to find those sometime. Have a great time I think I am going to drag a brush hog around tomorrow.

Have a good one Remember always take a kid fishng there will be a day when you wish he would take you!
    edited November -1
    Seeing some big girls that are starting to bed. Been fishing lots and catching a few good ones but tons of dinks. For some reason the crappie bite is real hit and miss. you might go here there and everywhere catching one or two then all of sudden you catch a bunch The crappie have been really good size and quite tasty too.

Good fishing to all